1.    #1  
    anyone working on a vlc port for the touchpad.

i got it for the ipad, b4 the developer removed it, and it plays everything i through at it.

most used app.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    VLC is really just a wrapper for Libavcodec and Libavformat, which are the same base libraries used by FFmpeg. AudiophileHD runs off of FFmpeg, and so can play all the same music files (in theory, bugs get in the way sometimes) as VLC.

At some point I plan to port over the video codecs, but for now you are limited to just stock for that.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    What about leaving a positive comment in the corresponding thread in the VideoLAN forums: VLC on HP TouchPad or at least increase this threads view count to convince them for creating a port?
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    What about leaving a positive comment in the corresponding thread in the VideoLAN forums: VLC on HP TouchPad or at least increase this threads view count to convince them for creating a port?
    looks to be a waste of time, the devs there clearly not interested in webOS at all, best to look/pray elsewhere.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Recently a beta version of VLC for Android has been released. This could be a starting point for a port (if it is open source, too). Unfortunately I don't have the required coding skills.

VLC for Android enters public beta - The H Open: News and Features
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Rather than try and port VLC, I'd suggest working on improving TouchPlayer. I'm very impressed with it's ability to play practically anything I throw at it - including subtitle support. The downside to it is there are some optimizations missing - forward and reverse is very limited and hit or miss, and the user interface is extremely barebones and needs an overhaul. Have you taken a look at it yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Rather than try and port VLC, I'd suggest working on improving TouchPlayer. I'm very impressed with it's ability to play practically anything I throw at it - including subtitle support. The downside to it is there are some optimizations missing - forward and reverse is very limited and hit or miss, and the user interface is extremely barebones and needs an overhaul. Have you taken a look at it yet?
    I agree. I've been using Linux since 1996 and VLC has been my default player for a very long time. It is just now (last few years) starting to get popular on other platforms (Windows, etc) so I can understand people asking for it. I'm glad to see it finally made it to Android (even though it's still in beta form). I was testing an early version out for the developers last year on my Android tablet prior to buying a TouchPad. However, Touchplayer and Kalemsoft Media Player do an excellent job of playing just about every format you through at them so I really don't see a need in focusing on a new project instead of improving them further.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    if i remember rightly, some of the guts of splashtop uses bits of vlc, it is/was credited in the splashtop info/about/etc.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I use vlc on my iPod Touch, but I don't think it's a high priority for the TouchPad when we already have TouchPlayer and Kalemsoft Media Player. What features of vlc would you like to see on the TP?