1.    #1  
    So Steam is having a summer sale on most of their games. Is anyone developing an app for use on the touchpad? They have tons of games and I wonder if any of them can be ported over for use on a touch screen. Or maybe an app that shows stats and friends online? Just wondering.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/09/2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: updated title
    I would really like a steam type app for 3 reasons.

1) So I can buy games for my pc when i'm not necessarily at my pc.

2) So I can take advantages of the Steam cloud service. This also answers part of your question. There are games like Plants Vs. Zombies that are currently available on the ipad that are also available on Steam. Being able to play PvZ on my touchpad and then pickup where I left off at my pc would be a great feature. THough only a few games, I think technically poker night would work well, there are others well that could use that tech quite well..

3) I actually use steam chat a lot, steam is always open when I'm at my pc and quite a few friends also do this so its quite easy to chat over steam than having to go into msn or gtalk. Would like to be able to do this on a touchpad as well. Messaging app plugin?
    OK, firstly Steam games will not work on WebOS. It's like taking a Iphone game, loading it on to your WebOS tablet and expecting it to work. It's just not written to work on WebOS. Secondly, WebOS is practically Steam anyway. It's a place to keep all your WebOS games that once you have purchased you can download at any time, browse new games in the app catalogue, etc. So that leaves a few other things that Steam does that could potentially be used in a Steam application for WebOS:

- Steam friends and chat (including voice chat)
    - Steam news
    - Steam videos

Steam chat could be integrated into the messaging app, but I think that this is in a major need of an update to allow other accounts to be added (i.e. Facebook chat).

Game Trailers and Videos would be nice though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post
    OK, firstly Steam games will not work on WebOS. It's like taking a Iphone game, loading it on to your WebOS tablet and expecting it to work. It's just not written to work on WebOS. Secondly, WebOS is practically Steam anyway. It's a place to keep all your WebOS games that once you have purchased you can download at any time, browse new games in the app catalogue, etc. So that leaves a few other things that Steam does that could potentially be used in a Steam application for WebOS:

- Steam news
    - Steam videos

Steam chat could be integrated into the messaging app, but I think that this is in a major need of an update to allow other accounts to be added (i.e. Facebook chat).

Yeah, steam is for pc games but there are some that sync with the cloud. only example I can think of is plants vs zombies. The game on the pc differs very little from the ipad version in gameplay/content at least. And steam now does sync a pc game with a ps3 game in the cloud.

Steam news and video would be nice too.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Casion View Post

- Steam news
    - Steam videos

True, that just putting games on your touchpad would not work. Thats why they would need to be ported over to run on webOS. Just like Angry Birds is on all (most?) major OS's and I think maybe coming to the 360. After I posted, I googled steam mobile and found this: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/300447/news/valve-starting-to-look-at-steam-mobile/ Or just google mobile and steam, article dated 6 May 2011.
    I think having a stand alone app for Steam would be good to reduce clutter on your touchpad launcher. Instead of having a bunch of icons for games, you could just open an app and select what game to play from that menu. But that would probably take a click or 2 more to get to the game you wanna play.
    Hopefully there can be potential for this, it would be cool if it can work.
    No, I think actually having touchpad games in a steam app would be a huge mistake. Just steam intergration in games that are also on the pc (angry birds/plants vs zombies) so that you can just continue your game whereever.

Honestly, been thinking about this and there is no real need for a full app. Add steam chat to synergy, and have the cloud intergration but the actual steam page itself is basically just a webpage. Go to steam on your pc, now go to steampowered.com and in essence they are identical. website also has links to forums and to download steam and stuff. So just get the back processes working.

HP get on this now, picture this with me, a Touchpad with steam intergation. You just won over a lot of pc gamers with that one move.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    To answer the OP's question, I am working on such an app. I would, however, like everyone to know that Steam, nor Valve, have an open source API for the Steam store or their cloud. My app will allow you to view Steam games via the online interface embedded inside of a pane, and purchase them using PapPal, which will launch in a different pane. I'm working on a lot of cool things, I'll post some screens here later when I get home.
    Long story short, it won't be happening. The App Catalog terms restrict apps that compete with the App Catalog; so a Steam-like app where you could buy/install games would not be allowed.

Plus, any games such a theoretical app could install wouldn't be a proper webOS app, as all methods of installing 3rd party webOS apps are restricted to palm-made stuff and homebrew.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Long story short, it won't be happening. The App Catalog terms restrict apps that compete with the App Catalog; so a Steam-like app where you could buy/install games would not be allowed.

Plus, any games such a theoretical app could install wouldn't be a proper webOS app, as all methods of installing 3rd party webOS apps are restricted to palm-made stuff and homebrew.
    Bah, I dont want to use steam to buy WebOS games on the touchpad, I honestly dont care if I can buy steam games through it. I want Steam Cloud. Well and steam chat. Dont care so much about buying stuff through it.
    What's wrong with the website?

Here, I'll tell you how to get a steam app. Add a launcher icon that launches to Steam and voila, instant steam website!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    I think that's more an artificial restriction than a technical one. The restriction is the one you mentioned, the app catalog ToS.

For example, the python app recently uploaded to the catalog "installs" python. They don't do anything else yet, but the app could be modified to download python apps and add launcher icons for those python apps so that the python app launches to those apps. To the end user, it would look like it is actually downloading and installing apps. Of course, that's not really the case, but perception is what's important, and of course, this is all just theoretical, but technically possible.

Steam website doesn't have chat. The steam cloud is more on a game to game basis. Steam website is fine for buying games from.

So really don't care so much for steam app as steam intergration

Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011