Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried out the Newsreader app "Need for Feeds"? A good Newsreader app is kind of mandatory for me and I'm not at all impressed with Mosaic. Before I drop the cash on the app, I wanted to see if anyone else has taken the plunge.

I'm a big fan of Pulse Reader. I have it on my phone, iPad, and Xoom. I'd love to have something similar on the Touchpad.
    see: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ss-reader.html

i want pulse for webos.

mosaic is free and different. liking it more than when i started using it, but it isnt pulse.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I had to look up what Pulse News was. But after seeing Flipboard, I'd prefer that layout as long as I can log into my Google Reader account and share via email.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I had to look up what Pulse News was. But after seeing Flipboard, I'd prefer that layout as long as I can log into my Google Reader account and share via email.
    i tried flipboard, but always felt the layout was gimmicky. rather have the cleaner layout of pulse.

wish mosaic was more like pulse.
    Felipe
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Yes, I purchased Need for Feeds, as it was the only RSS Feed Reader (at the time) for TouchPad. It is a great, simple, easy-to-read, app. I love the look/feel. Well worth the couple bucks!

I haven't played with all the options yet, but it appears to do background updating. I don't believe it pulls down the full articles like NewsRoom on my Pre2 does.
    I also purchased it. Much more usable, and simple, than Mosaic.

Pros:
    - Fast, easy to use
    - Easy to swipe through stories
    - Embedded web browser tab for viewing full version of article
    - Looks and feels great
    - Interesting exhibition mode... that I can't test (since I don't have a touchstone yet)

Cons:
    - No way to disable automatically refresh of stories
    - Can't "mark all read"
    - Have to manually retrieve RSS url's to add
    - Would love some notification support (since notifications in webOS 3.0 are so awesome)
    - No google reader support (doesn't bother me, though)
    - Would like a way to share a story via SMS, FB, Twitter, etc

No regrets about my purchase, well worth $1.99. IMO, a 5-star app
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    I also purchased it. Much more usable, and simple, than Mosaic.

Pros:
    - Fast, easy to use
    - Easy to swipe through stories
    - Embedded web browser tab for viewing full version of article
    - Looks and feels great
    - Interesting exhibition mode... that I can't test (since I don't have a touchstone yet)

Cons:
    - No way to disable automatically refresh of stories
    - Can't "mark all read"
    - Have to manually retrieve RSS url's to add
    - Would love some notification support (since notifications in webOS 3.0 are so awesome)
    - No google reader support (doesn't bother me, though)
    - Would like a way to share a story via SMS, FB, Twitter, etc

No regrets about my purchase, well worth $1.99. IMO, a 5-star app
    Just Type Exhibition and u can putnit in Exhibition mode without a TouchStone.
    Mosaic is not bad if it was 10 times faster and had animations
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bb147 View Post
    Mosaic is not bad if it was 10 times faster and had animations
    Yeah, mosaic just feels like it isn't native. The idea of it is good, but it seems kinda unfinished and buggy. Plus, despite its attempts, it's pretty ugly and hard to use. It doesn't follow any standard webOS UI patterns. Plus, I opened it today and my groups were split into twice the number of groups and a bunch of random feeds were added.

we really need something better.
    Palm Pre. Sprint.

View My Mockup!
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLipson View Post
    Yeah, mosaic just feels like it isn't native. The idea of it is good, but it seems kinda unfinished and buggy. Plus, despite its attempts, it's pretty ugly and hard to use. It doesn't follow any standard webOS UI patterns. Plus, I opened it today and my groups were split into twice the number of groups and a bunch of random feeds were added.

we really need something better.
    I had that same problem! I started it up and I was like "***, where did all of these new groups come from"? I also couldn't get the Facebook or Instapaper functions to do anything at all. The only share feature I could get to work was e-mail. I usually don't complain about free apps, but what a turd.
    after setting it up, im okay with mosaic for now, but if pulse comes to webOS im so there.

instapaper integration works, but it doesnt notify you that it did anything. twitter doesnt seem to work.
    Felipe