Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Hey everyone! I am thinking about making an RSS Reader for the TouchPad and I need your help! The feedback you are providing will help me make the best app possible, so please help!

If I make the app, it will, of course, be open source. Please email me if you want to help out! (tibfib1 at gmail dot com).

The survey is found here: http://j.mp/kxrIJ2
    or here for those wary of short links: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spre...bUU4ZU93bEE6MQ

Thank you!
    Done, very quick simple survey, hope you get plenty responses!
    I have also answered the survey. It would be great if you would publish the results once you have a reasonable number of responses. Good luck!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Just provided my input. I hope you get the answers you're looking for.
    Done. Good luck to you and all webOS devs!
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a simple Google Reader client like Feeder. PLEASE.
    Calcmandan likes this.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Survey done. Took about 30 seconds.

The thing I would like most is customization. I usually read my P|C feed first, then go on to the Failbook and other fun feeds. The ability to have favorite feeds at the top, then others, would really be cool. Maybe take a cue from the email app? Where you have an "all feeds", then favorites, then expandable category folders with all feeds?

Now that I think of it, something like the email app would be perfect.
    Took it!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Survey taken! I'd love to see a good, simple, free RSS reader for the TouchPad. On my Pre+ I use FeedReader, which might not be a bad place to start if you're making an open source project. I contacted the author if FeedReader some time back and he seemed open to patches and might even be looking for a new maintainer at this point.

BerliOS Developer: Project Summary - FeedReader
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Thanks everyone! I should have enough
    Quote Originally Posted by IGNTNUNLMTD View Post
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a simple Google Reader client like Feeder. PLEASE.
    I totally agree. I love feeder on my pre. Its buggy but it works. I love the idea that its all cloud and I'm not reliant on backing up the data whenever I have to doctor the phone.

I'm running feeder now but rendering it on a pre sized screen is annoying.
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Done. Please note that gReader Pro for Android is a very, very good RSS reader with Google Reader support. I'd love to have it on the TouchPad, and would promote the heck out of it if so.
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
    Took survey.

I have to say that I am a weird peg to place. I mainly read my feeds by date and time of post, in order to keep up with things. But I also break out into categories. So incorporating both is what I'd look for. Also, I email a bunch of posts to my family/friends, so that would be something I'd need as well. And lastly, since the TouchPad doesnt have constant internet access like my Pre, it would be nice to have an offline mode so I can read while in between hotspots.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Took survey.

I have to say that I am a weird peg to place. I mainly read my feeds by date and time of post, in order to keep up with things. But I also break out into categories. So incorporating both is what I'd look for. Also, I email a bunch of posts to my family/friends, so that would be something I'd need as well. And lastly, since the TouchPad doesnt have constant internet access like my Pre, it would be nice to have an offline mode so I can read while in between hotspots.
    For offline, you could try another app from Semicolon Apps (the guy who made Feeder), Spare Time. I did ask if Spare Time could be integrated with Feeder to allow for offline and the full feed to be displayed, but Darrin (Semicolon Apps) has stopped developing new features for webOS. If it works on the Touchpad, Spare Time is definitely an option.
    You took down the survey, but in case you check back here: I've been looking for a good reader that syncs with Google Reader and supports title text. Many of the feeds I follow are webcomics that use title text for a hidden punchline (like xkcd). Something like using a long press to display title text on an image would be nice (I believe android supports something like this).

In fact, I've been looking for something like that for my Veer, too, if anyone knows of anything existing.

And Google Reader support would give you most of the different view type features that others have talked about.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redthemighty View Post
    You took down the survey, but in case you check back here: I've been looking for a good reader that syncs with Google Reader and supports title text. Many of the feeds I follow are webcomics that use title text for a hidden punchline (like xkcd). Something like using a long press to display title text on an image would be nice (I believe android supports something like this).

In fact, I've been looking for something like that for my Veer, too, if anyone knows of anything existing.

And Google Reader support would give you most of the different view type features that others have talked about.
    I'll see what I can do about that. Please email me about this once the app is available and I'll be sure to add it. Got some other stuff to do now
    Something like byline on iPhone. not sure if it has ipad support as I dont have a tablet. It has Cache capability so i can read on a plane or where i dont have wifi. But only problem i have is it doesnt sort by the feed source. what i mean is, I have bunch of folders: Trading, Gadgets, Finance, Sport...now when i click on Gadget, feeds from hundred different sources are all mixed together. I need an ability to select only those by P|C or Engadget or a specific source etc... That would be really helpful - just like how i can on Google reader online on a full browser.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ksht View Post
    Something like byline on iPhone. not sure if it has ipad support as I dont have a tablet. It has Cache capability so i can read on a plane or where i dont have wifi. But only problem i have is it doesnt sort by the feed source. what i mean is, I have bunch of folders: Trading, Gadgets, Finance, Sport...now when i click on Gadget, feeds from hundred different sources are all mixed together. I need an ability to select only those by P|C or Engadget or a specific source etc... That would be really helpful - just like how i can on Google reader online on a full browser.
    The app already supports picking feeds within a folder
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    I would like to second, or third, the request for a feed reader that plays nice with Google Reader.
    Sprint Prē & Pixi, and HP TouchPad
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iharley View Post
    I would like to second, or third, the request for a feed reader that plays nice with Google Reader.
    It's on its way.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast