Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    I've tried this before but it no where as good as a native app. Most people won't go through the bother and complexity of installing X-server and they will probably be disappointed in the results as I was.
    A couple of things - Xecutah is still in the testing feeds so no, it isn't nearly as good as a native app would be. If I had SplashTop right now, I wouldn't use this for RDP - it's a workaround, until something better comes around.

But with that said, as has been my experience with all things Ubuntu/Linux, I had to look around quite a bit in order to find what works best and I have to say that my impression of how RDP is working for me is not what I would describe as disappointing.

As far as most people - most people don't know what Ubuntu is. Or what webOS is, for that matter.

I'm impressed by the options afforded. YMMV.
    Interesting article on WebOSroundup. It appears that Splashtop has confirmed that it is developing a Touchpad app:

Splashtop Remote Desktop Software Coming to HP TouchPad! | News, TouchPad |webOSroundup
    All for One and One for All!
    I lost power for a few days and had some family stuff to deal with so I'm a bit behind. Still plan on working on it once I finish up this other app.
    I just stumbled on this:

noVNC

Javascript vnc client using websockets and the canvas for drawing. Probably a bit slow, but it should work. It won't connect to my iMac with the build in vnc server tho.
    I wrote an email to the Teamviewer crew if they consider making an app for WebOS. They replied that their decision to provide smartphone apps (Android, iPhone) was an huge success for them and that they are just considering which other platforms to add. Maybe you should write to them aswell and confirm your interest. Teamviewer on the touchpad would be just perfect for me and some kind of a poor man's Citrix receiver :-)

TeamViewer Contact
    splashtopp works great on my pre+. Good to hear they're doing a touchpad app.
    Logmein Ignition +1 for me.
    For someone like me, who works on a closed network that uses only RDP and VNC on numerous machines, these proprietary and often web-linked apps are useless. I'm really not a fan of having to pay for server applications that fail to utilize standardized protocols so they can charge you for each machine you want to access. I have to access dozens of workstations and servers which already utilize standard protocols and corporate policy only allows certain software to be installed.
    It is frustrating that I can use my Evo 3D or my iPhone 3G to do this easily, but my Pre-, Veer and TouchPad all lack this essential feature. If there is a proprietary remote access application as the only option, then I call shenanigans on those developers. SHENANIGANS!
    Palm Centro -> Palm Pre- -> HTC Evo 3D SPRINT
    iPhone 3G -> HP Veer Black -> HP Veer White AT&T
    Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer Black -> HP Pre 3 (UK - Unlocked 8gb) AT&T
    HP Pre 3 (US - AT&T 16gb)
    HP TouchPad Black 1.2GHz 32GB
    HP TouchPad White 1.5GHz 64GB
    HP TouchPad Black 1.5GHz 32GB AT&T

(You have no idea what I would do to get a TouchPad Go)

Obviously I have a problem (see above). . .
    And it has nothing to do with more cowbell. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    I've been thinking that a tutorial might be good to assemble but I keep expecting someone to beat me to it. But specifically to get RDP use:

'apt-get install gnome-rdp' and 'apt-get install rdesktop'

To search for apps, it is easier to use Synaptic Package Manager (apt-get install synaptic). The you can just do a search for "RDP" and you can install it all at once.

I'm settled on the LXDE window manager instead of icewm because it seem to integrate better with Gnome desktop functionality generally - plus there's a cool launcher (used alot on netbook setups, I guess) called LXLauncher.

Also, using Ubuntu you can use Chromium+Java to connect with a VNC server as well (you have to install Java anyway to use LibreOffice.) EDIT: Isn't there a VNC server built directly into the MAC OS now? 'apt-get install xtightvncviewer' should get the "Gnome-RDP' app to work through that interface or try TightVNC Server on the MAC and enable the Java Server and then just browse to the correct IP using Chromium!

BTW, (not to hijack the thread), but there's a suggestion in the Xserver thread to use the /media/cryptofs directory for an image file (if you don't want to DR) which will avoid the issues with USB connections. It works! The only caveat is an OS download limit of 2GB in those directories. With what I've got installed now (Office suite, LXDE, Chromium, Firefox, VNC, RDP) , I've still got a little over 500M left. Also, some flash support for Chromium and FF.

Cheers!
    Kay, thought I replied but can't find it so here it is again:

1) You are right about the mac and was able to install using these instructions below:
    How to Remotely Access Your Mac’s Screen

2) For the TouchPad I'm not sure of the steps

I installed the following though based on what I thought I understood of your post:

a) 'apt-get install gnome-rdp' and 'apt-get install rdesktop'
    b) apt-get install xtightvncviewer
    c) apt-get install LDXE (as I thought you said that this would be a better windows manager than icewm).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Kay, thought I replied but can't find it so here it is again:

1) You are right about the mac and was able to install using these instructions below:
    How to Remotely Access Your Macís Screen

2) For the TouchPad I'm not sure of the steps

I installed the following though based on what I thought I understood of your post:

a) 'apt-get install gnome-rdp' and 'apt-get install rdesktop'
    b) apt-get install xtightvncviewer
    c) apt-get install LDXE (as I thought you said that this would be a better windows manager than icewm).

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    A couple of things: You need to also install the VNC Server App (for the Password support - I think it's just 'apt-get intstall tightvnc') in Ubuntu. Then, you can run VNC through the gnome-rdp (select VNC instead of RDP or SSH). You just have to know the iP of your Mac and the Password you applied when you installed VNC on the Mac.

Also, I was wrong about Java support in a browser under Ubuntu-Chroot.

But you can still connect to your Mac using VNC. Let me know if you need more info!
    A couple of things: You need to also install the VNC Server App (for the Password support - I think it's just 'apt-get intstall tightvnc') in Ubuntu. Then, you can run VNC through the gnome-rdp (select VNC instead of RDP or SSH). You just have to know the iP of your Mac and the Password you applied when you installed VNC on the Mac.

Also, I was wrong about Java support in a browser under Ubuntu-Chroot.

But you can still connect to your Mac using VNC. Let me know if you need more info!
    apt-get install tightvnc did not work but apt-get install tightvncserver did work.

"Then, you can run VNC through the gnome-rdp (select VNC instead of RDP or SSH)"

Would it be possible to point me toward a tutorial that would show me how to do this?
    There seem to be many different tutorials, and I'm not sure which one fits the packages I have installed.
    I tried running icewm-session and finding gnome-rdp under network communications, selecting session new, vnc and putting in laptop ip address and password and hitting connect but then got following error:

/usr/bin/xtightvncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect Connection timed out
    Unable to connect to VNC viewer
    This application works for me, as long as you use the Bluetooth keyboard to type:

VNC Client PDK | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Hopefully, after they release 3.0.2 update today, it will work with the virtual keyboard.
    apt-get install tightvnc did not work but apt-get install tightvncserver did work.

"Then, you can run VNC through the gnome-rdp (select VNC instead of RDP or SSH)"

Would it be possible to point me toward a tutorial that would show me how to do this?
    There seem to be many different tutorials, and I'm not sure which one fits the packages I have installed.
    I tried running icewm-session and finding gnome-rdp under network communications, selecting session new, vnc and putting in laptop ip address and password and hitting connect but then got following error:

/usr/bin/xtightvncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect Connection timed out
    Unable to connect to VNC viewer
    That should be all you need to do. Make sure your server doesn't have a firewall blocking port 5900. If you are in different subnets you might need to use port forwarding on your mac's router.

You might check tightvnc.com for more troubleshooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Interesting article on WebOSroundup. It appears that Splashtop has confirmed that it is developing a Touchpad app:

Splashtop Remote Desktop Software Coming to HP TouchPad! | News, TouchPad |webOSroundup

Just twittered them today and got this back in a couple hours.....:

Sometime this year in Q4.
    Direct message sent by Splashtop (@splashtop) to you (@UnkleKeg) on Aug 02, 1:51 PM.
    That should be all you need to do. Make sure your server doesn't have a firewall blocking port 5900. If you are in different subnets you might need to use port forwarding on your mac's router.

You might check tightvnc.com for more troubleshooting.
    thanks. I tried accessing when both were in my home network and got the same error, turned off anti-virus protection and did not help. For the port forwarding, I googled around and looks complicated especially as I have a VOIP modem between cable router and airport express. Seems like this is a hard issue from the volume of comments on the net and could even be that I missed a step in configuration of software.
    I will sit back on this one , perhaps wait for a 3rd party solution. Also read somewhere that VNC is not the safest protocol so perhaps just as well.
    Sorry I can't be more help - I not very knowledgeable in Mac Land.
    grindboy likes this.
    Also read somewhere that VNC is not the safest protocol so perhaps just as well.
    Unless you run VNC on a physically secure local subnet with no other users that you don't trust, you should use SSH for the transport layer.

Using an existing well-tested secure transport layer like SSH is far more secure than trying to implement yet another security implementation in VNC.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  18. smr
    RDP is clearly THE app that makes the Touchpad worthwhile - and it needs to be a NATIVE APP.

Until that exists, here is a workaround - back from my Treo years.

Go to web.rdmplus.com

It does take a client install on each computer (we need a NATIVE APP, bad), but the fee is a one-time fee ever (not sure what the revenue model is here) - not per install and not per period of time.

I have tested this with my Touchpad - and it works. You will need the wireless keyboard to enter text or login - but it works fine if you have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by smr View Post
    RDP is clearly THE app that makes the Touchpad worthwhile - and it needs to be a NATIVE APP.

Until that exists, here is a workaround - back from my Treo years.

Go to web.rdmplus.com

It does take a client install on each computer (we need a NATIVE APP, bad), but the fee is a one-time fee ever (not sure what the revenue model is here) - not per install and not per period of time.

I have tested this with my Touchpad - and it works. You will need the wireless keyboard to enter text or login - but it works fine if you have it.
    interesting, googled it and some iphone users were worried about having to enter password info on a website, don't know much about it. Tried logmein and was painfully slow via the web, slightly better with chromium. Don't know if overclock would speed things

Edit: log-me-in on the web worked much better with overclock, font still hard to read, ok in an emergency
    Last edited by bluenote; 08/06/2011 at 06:43 AM.
  20. smr
    interesting, googled it and some iphone users were worried about having to enter password info on a website, don't know much about it. Tried logmein and was painfully slow via the web, slightly better with chromium. Don't know if overclock would speed things.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in terms of the speed expected from a web interface - but I find the speed quite acceptable - it suits my needs.

It costs 30 clams - one time - so I guess that is the price of testing. I had my account open from many years ago with my Treo - so it cost me nothing to test and use.

I don't think the developer even knows this works. Perhaps they would be open to free trials for Touchpad users.

Steve

PS - for the record - I have no affiliation with the developer