Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Hmm, I wonder if there's a way to remap in Xwindows the little o (looks like a degrees symbole) key (between the divide and ; symbols on the onscreen keyboard) to F10. Actually I know you 'can' do it... just gotta figure out how.. then maybe we can do shift-degree and get the properties menu on an icon... since no right click.

--Chris
    I connected successfully to my mac mini with osx 10.7 but the login screen did not receive my kb inputs, so I was not able to log in. Is this a known problem and is there a solution for that?
    Quote Originally Posted by mankmil View Post
    I connected successfully to my mac mini with osx 10.7 but the login screen did not receive my kb inputs, so I was not able to log in. Is this a known problem and is there a solution for that?
    Didn't know OSX talked RDP... thought you had to use VNC for that?

Anyway, I've never tried going to a a Mac... the keyboard definitely works for me going to PC's. (both onscreen & bluetooth). If it didn't this whole thing would've been totally useless for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by christr View Post
    Does your stuff launch an Xserver? (xsdl ?) if so, then yeah... could prob do it.

In all reality what needs to be done is I (or someone who knows how to do it already) need to build rdesktop from source and package it up properly to be installed with Preware. Preferably statically building it so I don't have to worry about library dependencies,etc. Then you could call it from your app when you launch an Xserver.

(if you dont' launch an xserver then none of this is going to work without Xecutah/XTerm
    first)

--Chris
    Right now, the code doesn't launch anything.
    I'm working on that right now. What I'm debating is whether or not to statically compile the Xserver (called Xsdl) and the Rdesktop binaries and include them in my package, or whether to just depend on Xecutah for the Xserver.

If I just tell my package to depend on Xecutah, it'll launch the Xserver (Xsdl) by calling it directly without launching the Xecutah GUI.

However, if I statically compile both binaries (Xsdl and Rdesktop) then I end up as the maintainer for two binary packages. Patching and keeping those binaries up to date then becomes my job, rather than just pulling it from a repository somewhere for the latest version.

Anyway, for now I'll probably just use Xecutah's bundled Xsdl and compile my own Rdesktop against webOS' libs.. that shouldn't be too hard.
    Sorry i got confused by all this rdp/vnc threads. Forget my question
    Quote Originally Posted by thecubed View Post
    \

Anyway, for now I'll probably just use Xecutah's bundled Xsdl and compile my own Rdesktop against webOS' libs.. that shouldn't be too hard.
    Well, the catch with that is WebOS is missing a pair of libs required for RDesktop. You can fetch those from Optware if you want but that becomes troublesome. (i don't think you can do a depend on an optware package from preware's package manager).

You're best bet is likely doing a static build of rdesktop and just leaving it alone. It's not often updated anyway.

As for Xsdl, since this whole thing will probably never make it into the actual HP app store (too many different licenses may be an issue for getting the app approved), just have it depend on Xserver from preware. Your app could effectively replace Xecutah for the purpose of launching Xsdl & rdesktop.

--Chris
    Seeing how this is moving along is awesome. There's been a lot of us begging for this for a while. Keep up the great work guys!
    Long live webOS!
    I have TightVNC setup on the PC I want to connect to. How do I configure VPN on the
    HP Touchpad. Need to know which fields on the VPN configuration screen need to be populated. I can login from my desktop at home with TightVNC viewer to my work PC using TightVNC server. Seems like there are alot more option on the VPN side than TightVNC. Do you use the default VPN app on the HP or did you use another app ? Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by marhil View Post
    I have TightVNC setup on the PC I want to connect to. How do I configure VPN on the
    HP Touchpad. Need to know which fields on the VPN configuration screen need to be populated. I can login from my desktop at home with TightVNC viewer to my work PC using TightVNC server. Seems like there are alot more option on the VPN side than TightVNC. Do you use the default VPN app on the HP or did you use another app ? Any help would be appreciated.
    OK, first, this is a thread about RDP, so maybe you may want to ask a different (new thread) about VPN or perhaps use a VNC thread to ask about that?

In any case, from reading your message I'm wondering if you're confused as to what the VPN does. The VPN is a network connection to your private network. (the PN part of VPN). It doesn't provide any access to your PC's desktop or anything like that. It just makes your touchpad think it's on your own local LAN.

You would still need an RDP or VNC client to then talk to your PC's desktop. You could in theory use the VPN to get around a firewall or not have to open any ports up on your router to RDP or VNC to your PC.... but most of us here don't bother using the VPN to do that. We just port forward, or use it from the same network as the PC we're remoting into.

--Chris
    Well, the catch with that is WebOS is missing a pair of libs required for RDesktop. You can fetch those from Optware if you want but that becomes troublesome. (i don't think you can do a depend on an optware package from preware's package manager).

You're best bet is likely doing a static build of rdesktop and just leaving it alone. It's not often updated anyway.

As for Xsdl, since this whole thing will probably never make it into the actual HP app store (too many different licenses may be an issue for getting the app approved), just have it depend on Xserver from preware. Your app could effectively replace Xecutah for the purpose of launching Xsdl & rdesktop.

--Chris
    Yep, that's probably what I'll do anyway. Now I gotta set up my machine for statically building Rdesktop... time to set up a webos build environment on my android build server ( 35 cpus / 112 GB ram ). Shouldn't take long to build at all
    Yep, that's probably what I'll do anyway. Now I gotta set up my machine for statically building Rdesktop... time to set up a webos build environment on my android build server ( 35 cpus / 112 GB ram ). Shouldn't take long to build at all
    Hah, sweet. Yeah, i'm still in process of rigging up an environment to do this. Hence why ti's taking so long. my first run at an ARM cross compiling env on one of my debian boxes failed miserably. So I'm gonna do a run thru of the webos-internals setup and see how that goes.

35cpu build server? damn... our build server here for our online games does just fine with 8 cores. tho, it does take about 45min to build the football game. ... and that doesn't include the 3d client which when we roll that goes like an hour or two. Most of the little dink facebook games are built/installed/started in like 10min.

--Chris
    Hah, sweet. Yeah, i'm still in process of rigging up an environment to do this. Hence why ti's taking so long. my first run at an ARM cross compiling env on one of my debian boxes failed miserably. So I'm gonna do a run thru of the webos-internals setup and see how that goes.

35cpu build server? damn... our build server here for our online games does just fine with 8 cores. tho, it does take about 45min to build the football game. ... and that doesn't include the 3d client which when we roll that goes like an hour or two. Most of the little dink facebook games are built/installed/started in like 10min.

--Chris
    Yep, it's nice and it sure shaves time off building CyanogenMod... build time is something like a minute or two.

So, are you working on building Rdesktop also? If so, I'll just concentrate on getting my GUI working rather than duplicating your efforts.
    Yep, it's nice and it sure shaves time off building CyanogenMod... build time is something like a minute or two.

So, are you working on building Rdesktop also? If so, I'll just concentrate on getting my GUI working rather than duplicating your efforts.
    Yeah, mainly to learn how to build stuff for webos ... so it may take me a while.

there's a whole bunch of X stuffs i'd like to build to make life in Xecutah nicer. I really don't like doing the whole chroot crap... sucks up too much storage space to maintain a 2nd OS, and isn't exactly seamless.

--Chris
    Questions for those with some issues.

For those who have a problem with loading the x11 binary, I've gotta ask a really dumb question. You installed Xecutah/Xterm/Xserver right? You're not just trying to run this from Novacom? X11 should be included when you install Xserver.

Also, are you rebooting the touchpad when done? That should clear up the other library issues. I'm calling ldconfig to add the libraries in /opt/lib to the system, but that may temporarily hork up the other system libraries. Rebooting the TP should fix that as ldconfig against all the system lib dirs is done on startup. (and I don't mean a luna restart, a full restart, you can issue reboot from Xterm if you want, or power off/on, or use the advanced power controls patch).

--Chris
    I'm getting this error too, but only when try to connect to my home pc (Vista) through my home network. If I connect to my work pc (Win7) through my work network, it works perfectly. Both systems are running the windows firewall and neither one has a hardware firewall. I haven't tried any connections through the internet yet because I haven't had the chance to set up any port forwarding.

I followed the instructions to the letter, including restarting the touchpad. My first connection was to the work pc which connected perfectly. The second connection attempt was to the home pc which didn't work. I tried it again today now at work and it works. So it seems like this error might have something to do with either the router or the operating system? Do you have any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by yabloracer View Post
    I'm getting this error too, but only when try to connect to my home pc (Vista) through my home network. If I connect to my work pc (Win7) through my work network, it works perfectly. Both systems are running the windows firewall and neither one has a hardware firewall. I haven't tried any connections through the internet yet because I haven't had the chance to set up any port forwarding.

I followed the instructions to the letter, including restarting the touchpad. My first connection was to the work pc which connected perfectly. The second connection attempt was to the home pc which didn't work. I tried it again today now at work and it works. So it seems like this error might have something to do with either the router or the operating system? Do you have any suggestions?

Well, if you can connect to anywhere, then the Touchpad side of the equation is all set. It's gotta be something on the PC side.

First, (sorry for being captain obvious in advance if you already did this), make sure on your home PC that Remote access is actually enabled. It isn't by default. So if you havn't RDP'd into your home box before, you've gotta turn it on. Right-Click 'My Computer', goto 'Properties' and then remote.

Second, for the hell of it,temporarily turn off your windows firewall and try to connect. If that works, you'll need to add an exception.

third, check the event logs on your PC (Admin tools -> event viewer). If there's an RDP error, it'll be listed there. It could be the security settings for remote access are too high. You've gotta dumb it down for some of these open source RDP clients.

--Chris
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    We all know about Splashtop someday coming.... but 1: it's not here yet, and 2: it's not RDP. it requires it's own special software on the client machine to work.
    It looks like you're right - thank you for correcting me. I've mixed it with another tool which only optionally requires special software on the other side. Unfortunately I can't remember its name.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    It looks like you're right - thank you for correcting me. I've mixed it with another tool which only optionally requires special software on the other side. Unfortunately I can't remember its name.
    WYSE PocketCloud. That is awesome software, does VNC, RDP and has it's own optional client for enhanced features. Own it on my Droid & iPad. Really wish that was coming to the Touchpad. Oh well.

For most home users tho, Splashtop will be fine. It does things a bit better then generic RDP does. But biz/corp users won't want it... .they wont' want to load the app and suck up resources on their servers.

--Chris
    Questions for those with some issues.

For those who have a problem with loading the x11 binary, I've gotta ask a really dumb question. You installed Xecutah/Xterm/Xserver right? You're not just trying to run this from Novacom? X11 should be included when you install Xserver.

Also, are you rebooting the touchpad when done? That should clear up the other library issues. I'm calling ldconfig to add the libraries in /opt/lib to the system, but that may temporarily hork up the other system libraries. Rebooting the TP should fix that as ldconfig against all the system lib dirs is done on startup. (and I don't mean a luna restart, a full restart, you can issue reboot from Xterm if you want, or power off/on, or use the advanced power controls patch).

--Chris
    Yes, I have Xecutah/Xterm/Xserver installed and I'm using Xterm to run the rdp.sh script. I did try running the install.sh from novaterm like cg.voabc mentioned but I didn't have any luck that way either (not sure why that would have made a difference anyway). I have restarted (full) several times since then as well.

It's not a huge issue for me as RDP works in Ubuntu chroot but I've been jumping at any new RDP development that I can find. If I get a little time I'll sit down and try to figure out what's going on. Thanks for all your efforts here though Chris; I'm definitely appreciative of all the developers that are making the Touchpad scene so exciting!
    Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    I had the same first time I tried connecting to a 2008r2 machine, just messed with the security/encryption settings on the terminal server end changing it to low and none. It let me connect then I disconnected changed them back to defaults and now its working great.
    Thanks that worked. I used GPO to do this on Win7:
    Configure Remote Desktop Access on Windows 7 Systems

Thanks to OP for his work on this! Now if I could just get the TP to connect ot my corp wireless I would be set
    Well, if you can connect to anywhere, then the Touchpad side of the equation is all set. It's gotta be something on the PC side.

First, (sorry for being captain obvious in advance if you already did this), make sure on your home PC that Remote access is actually enabled. It isn't by default. So if you havn't RDP'd into your home box before, you've gotta turn it on. Right-Click 'My Computer', goto 'Properties' and then remote.

Second, for the hell of it,temporarily turn off your windows firewall and try to connect. If that works, you'll need to add an exception.

third, check the event logs on your PC (Admin tools -> event viewer). If there's an RDP error, it'll be listed there. It could be the security settings for remote access are too high. You've gotta dumb it down for some of these open source RDP clients.

--Chris
    Thanks captain obvious (that's the fist time I've ever said that without being sarcastic). I had used that computer before for remoting into so I didn't even think to check if it was enabled. Somehow it had been disabled so I re-enabled it and now it's good to go.