Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Aredon View Post
    Once you are happy with how its working, any plans to drop this into preware or quick install?
    yeah, as soon as I can figure out how.

Ideally actually, what I need to do is setup a real cross compile environment and build this thing properly for WebOS. Then add it to Xecutah. I've got a dozen+ years in building and packaging other people code, but this isn't something I've done before, and I'm not a software dev so I'm at a disadvantage.

--Chris
    FYI, updated the launch scripts in the tarball to include passing audio. Works, but not well. when I play VLC videos remotely over this the audio seems to echo a bit. Not likely anything I can do about it really.

RDP on the Touchpad (the hard way) | ChrisTR's Ramblings

--Chris
    RickNeff likes this.
    Looks like rwhitby updated XTerm in the beta feed to pass the env variables onto Xterm. So anyone who updates to that can remove the DISPLAY= line from their rdp.sh script and just use that one script to launch RDP sessions in any Xterm card.

--Chris
    Sweetness.... multiple RDP cards at once. (full screen sessions when using an external BT keyboard)

--Chris
    sledge007 and fahed2000 like this.
    Loving the remote desktop work chris, beautiful work. Getting to be about perfect for basic remote management .

And man, I guess I've been living under a rock because I just floored myself watching a video of an ipad user using splashtop. He was playing WOW on an ipad, and it was working -beautifully-. Then he went and put a fullscreen video on and it was nice and smooth.

Insanity. I've been waiting on something like that to be possible but I was under the impression we weren't quite there yet. That app, or android (so I can use that app) can't come soon enough...
    New to webOS? Here's my definitive Get Started guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ted-guide.html

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    And man, I guess I've been living under a rock because I just floored myself watching a video of an ipad user using splashtop. He was playing WOW on an ipad, and it was working -beautifully-. Then he went and put a fullscreen video on and it was nice and smooth.
    Yeah, splashtop and PocketCloud work great like that. The downside is in order to get that level of awesomeness you've gotta have their clients loaded onto the remote PC's. (required for Splashtop, optional for PocketCloud). The other catch is that whole full video, nice fast and spiffy bit requires a really fast internet connection. Fine if you're in your livingroom connected to your PC on the same lan, but can be troublesome over the internet.

Personally I really wish Wyse would just put PocketCloud on the Touchpad. It shouldn't be that hard for them to port it. It's really nice because their client does some acceleration, and it also handles the whole firewall/NAT issue for you. Plus it's a REAL RDP client unlike Splashtop, so even if the app isn't installed on the remote box you can still use it. I've got it on my iphone, droid3 and wifes iPad and it's wonderful.

--Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeking View Post
    Looks very interesting. I also use login and would be curious to know how this compares from anyone who's used them both.
    This works until you need to type. Can't force the keyboard up.
    Quote Originally Posted by djphatjive View Post
    Use bluetooth keyboard, or pull up Tweaks and make sure onscreen keyboard isn't disabled for Xterm.
    Quote Originally Posted by djphatjive View Post
    Does the keyboard normally work for you in XTerm? How did you start the rdp session in the first place?

The keyboard in Xterm should never disappear if it was there in the first place. You can only resize it, not dismiss it. If you have used Tweaks to turn off the keyboard then you've gotta use Tweaks to get it back. That's a limitation of the Xserver (it sets screen size on startup).

Edit: Aww crap, just realized the post he was responding to was like 3 months old. haha.. ooops. nevermind on my reply, doesn't relate to the current path of discussion.

--Chris
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    @christr: Great work on this... it's a very quick and easy setup and works great for me. RDP was really the final piece of the pie missing from the touchpad and you solved it for me. Thanks for your time and effort, and for sharing it with the community. Kudos!
    Volcom45 likes this.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    someone found a trick for the right click ?
    Quote Originally Posted by llama233 View Post
    One strange thing that happened to me straight after installing everything though is my root certificates seem to be messed up - I can't see how your rdp solution could have anything to do with it though but the timing is really flukey. Is anyone else getting email errors from google etc? "The server's security certificate is not a trusted certificate". Also when I open the App Catalog I get "The action could not be completed. Try again later"
    This happened to me as well. Couldn't figure out what on earth was going on. I re-installed Optware Bootstrap and the Advanced Command Line Installer, downloaded Chris's installer again and ran the install script a second time and my security certificate problem went away.
    I'm not really sure what's going on there but it's working now.

On a somewhat related note: I get an error when trying to start rdesktop. "/usr/local/bin/rdesktop: error while loading shared libraries: libx11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeari View Post
    On a somewhat related note: I get an error when trying to start rdesktop. "/usr/local/bin/rdesktop: error while loading shared libraries: libx11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".
    I'm also getting that error. :-(
    Quote Originally Posted by cg.voabc View Post
    I'm also getting that error. :-(
    Unlucky minds think alike.

Add me too for that error.
    Is there a way to verify that your touchpad is rooted?
    Is there a way to verify that your touchpad is rooted?
    If you have to ask then it's probably not.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    If you have to ask then it's probably not.
    Is that a yes or no?
    Is that a yes or no?
    Rooting is something you would have had done yourself. TP's don't come that way.

Sounds like you're a newbie, you should go here first:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ted-guide.html
    FYI: I ran ./install.sh through novaterm and it worked.
    I cannot get the board to reduce in size. Yes, changed it to XS. I cannot see the task bar on the remote desktop.