Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    oh forgot to add... Double click should work just by double tapping. You may haveto do it fairly quickly tho.

--Chris

and just remembered... For the username field, its gotta be a single word. Cant use full name logins. But if full name is your only option just use a dummy username there and replace when the login box appears
    Yeah, the XTerm tweaks setting just changes how much space is reserved for the keyboard. You have to choose the actual keyboard sizing yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by christr View Post
    oh forgot to add... Double click should work just by double tapping. You may haveto do it fairly quickly tho.

--Chris

and just remembered... For the username field, its gotta be a single word. Cant use full name logins. But if full name is your only option just use a dummy username there and replace when the login box appears
    Awesome! Well double taps is quite flakey, but it seems if I triple tap, I end up getting a double tap 1st try :P Thanks again so much for this walk-through! It is working perfectly! Now if only there was a way to paste into Xterm, I could have my long command/user/host:3389 auto pasted in, hehe
    You can probably change the settings on your computer to allow for a longer window for double-taps
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    I noticed RDM+Web works on the Touchpad browser however until there is a way to bring up the soft keyboard, all you can do is click around.

http://www.rdmplus.com/rdmweb/
    on the double click front... Goto the control panel on the remote host and then to 'mouse' and set the doubleclick speed to slow. That'll help.... Tho may annoy you when on the real console :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Awesome! Well double taps is quite flakey, but it seems if I triple tap, I end up getting a double tap 1st try :P Thanks again so much for this walk-through! It is working perfectly! Now if only there was a way to paste into Xterm, I could have my long command/user/host:3389 auto pasted in, hehe
    you can always toss together your own startup scripts. Look at the rdp.sh files. Just make your own if you're hitting the same servers over and over again. Replace $1 with your username and $2 with the hostname. Also you don't need the :3389 . That's the default.

--Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by mattncsu03 View Post
    I noticed RDM+Web works on the Touchpad browser however until there is a way to bring up the soft keyboard, all you can do is click around.

http://www.rdmplus.com/rdmweb/
    I was working with the folks at ThinRDP (ThinVNC) for a bit and their first run sorta worked a bit... You could use the mouse somewhat and as long as you didn't dismiss it, the on screen keyboard. But no right-click and no keys other then the default keyboard. (and no way to get it back if you put it away). They had sent a pile of different updates, but so far we have a choice over mouse or keyboard... Not both. Hahaha.

Would be nice if they could make it work tho. They seem to have given up, I havn't heard from them since last week. It's a great little inexpensive RDP gateway.

--chris
    rstark likes this.
    OK, I updated my personal blog site with instructions on how to rig up rdesktop for RDP. It's a pain in the ****, but not too bad if you already play with stuff like Preware.

Essentially, you install preware, Xecutah, Xterm, Xserver, optware and then copy my crappy hack of Debian's ARMEL version of rdesktop to your touchpad. Then run my hack of an install script. That'll run optware and install your dependencies, copy stuff where it's supposed to be and give you a few launcher scripts to startup your RDP sessions. (i included 3, in case you had upto 3 cards running).

If posting links to other sites here for instructions is a nono, i'll copy/paste it in a separate message here if needed. Just wanted to keep it clean:

RDP on the Touchpad (the hard way) | ChrisTR's Ramblings

--Chris
    Ooh! Looks like you've got the chroot part of the problem sorted out Now I just have to finish my GUI...

I just need some caffeine and sufficient time, then we'll see my GUI for your excellent work come to life.

Thanks!
    Well, I didn't do a whole lot. I'm not chrooting at all actually, but I am taking some liberties with your touchpads filesystem.

Fortunately, rdesktop doesn't need a window manager to play nice,so that made life lots easier. I've got TWM grafted onto my TP, but didn't think most folks bugging for RDP wanted to deal with that. The other upside with rdesktop is it only needs like 3 libraries for the Debian ARMEL binary that isn't already included. But, is available (with the right versions even!) from optware. The big kick in re-using the debian binary tho was being able to jam the keymaps into the real /usr/share on the device. That's why I remount root as rw during the install. So 3 libs, 1 binary and a few keymap files and it's all set.

The multiple card issue was just done by writing 3 scripts for upto 3 cards. The default script talks to display 0, the other 2, to 1 and 2 respectively.

I posted a request in another folder here asking if the folks doing Xecutah could pass the display var to xterm on startup... That would solve a lot of aggrivation.

--Chris
    you can always toss together your own startup scripts. Look at the rdp.sh files. Just make your own if you're hitting the same servers over and over again. Replace $1 with your username and $2 with the hostname. Also you don't need the :3389 . That's the default.

--Chris
    Metallica has a song called "Hero of the day" and you are my hero of the day! :P Custom rdp.sh made, good to go!
    This is awesome! Other than lack of right click it is totally useable, especially with the bluetooth keyboard.

One strange thing that happened to me straight after installing everything though is my root certificates seem to be messed up - I can't see how your rdp solution could have anything to do with it though but the timing is really flukey. Is anyone else getting email errors from google etc? "The server's security certificate is not a trusted certificate". Also when I open the App Catalog I get "The action could not be completed. Try again later"

Like I said, probably nothing to do with this install, but very strange...
    Quote Originally Posted by llama233 View Post
    This is awesome! Other than lack of right click it is totally useable, especially with the bluetooth keyboard.

One strange thing that happened to me straight after installing everything though is my root certificates seem to be messed up - I can't see how your rdp solution could have anything to do with it though but the timing is really flukey. Is anyone else getting email errors from google etc? "The server's security certificate is not a trusted certificate". Also when I open the App Catalog I get "The action could not be completed. Try again later"

Like I said, probably nothing to do with this install, but very strange...
    I can't access gmail on my PC right now....possibly connected.

As for the App Cat....I get that message quite a bit so I don't even notice much anymore.
    Did you uninstall Optware Advanced Command Line tool afterwards? That blows up the app catalog (and preware too) on mine. Uninstall it, and then probably have to reboot your touchpad and you'll be OK.

(well, on the app store front.... No idea what could be up with the certificates thing, my installer doesn't touch any of that stuff)

--Chris
    I'm breaking out some popcorn... This thread is heating up. Serious progress here. Splashtop beware, homebrew might just beat you to it!!!
    Volcom45 likes this.
    Did you uninstall Optware Advanced Command Line tool afterwards? That blows up the app catalog (and preware too) on mine. Uninstall it, and then probably have to reboot your touchpad and you'll be OK.

(well, on the app store front.... No idea what could be up with the certificates thing, my installer doesn't touch any of that stuff)

--Chris
    Yeah I did remove it (although it's been installed for a while and has never posed a problem in the past?)- although it was a dependency for ssh which is now broken :-) Preware still seems to be working fine though, and the cert thing is definitely system certs as when I go to https://google.com in the browser it doesn't trust it. Like I said, I don't see how installing rdp could have broken it, and I'm still stoked with your solution!
    Quote Originally Posted by llama233 View Post
    Yeah I did remove it (although it's been installed for a while and has never posed a problem in the past?)- although it was a dependency for ssh which is now broken :-) Preware still seems to be working fine though, and the cert thing is definitely system certs as when I go to https://google.com in the browser it doesn't trust it. Like I said, I don't see how installing rdp could have broken it, and I'm still stoked with your solution!
    Really? It killed ssh when you uninstalled the advanced command line app? That should've just removed ipkg-opt. Not anything else. How did you have ssh installed? I have it on mine from when I installed the Palm dev tools.

I tried https://google.com , just got a redirect back to HTTP. Went to HTTPS://paypal.com and didn't get any errors. Also tried one of my sites (which use the Startcom certs which are often not all that accepted in browsers) and that appears ok. Would be interested in finding out what happened on your side tho in case it ever happens to me.

--Chris
    Really? It killed ssh when you uninstalled the advanced command line app? That should've just removed ipkg-opt. Not anything else. How did you have ssh installed? I have it on mine from when I installed the Palm dev tools.

I tried https://google.com , just got a redirect back to HTTP. Went to HTTPS://paypal.com and didn't get any errors. Also tried one of my sites (which use the Startcom certs which are often not all that accepted in browsers) and that appears ok. Would be interested in finding out what happened on your side tho in case it ever happens to me.

--Chris
    Yeah it's very strange - I had openssh installed through preware and that pulled in optware advanced cli installer as a dep, but to be honest I think I have bigger issues as now when I open preware it reckons both ssh and optware advanced cli installer are both installed even though I removed them! and trying to remove (to reinstall again) results in "libexec not found" so I've really managed to break something...

The only other thing I did apart from installing rdp was set up an ipsec vpn to work so I could test it (which worked sweet btw!) so no idea what happened!

Reaching for the doctor now
    Fyi, just tested audio and it does work. But, you'll have to either A: make a change by hand to the rdp.sh files, or wait till I send out an updated .tgz file later this evening.

Anyway, to enable sound to pass thru to your touchpad edit the rdp.sh file (and likely rdp0 and rdp1 as well if you're so inclined) and add in: -r sound:local between the -f and -a . So the line should look like

/usr/local/bin/rdesktop -f -r sound:local -a 16 -u $1 $2

Also feel free obviously to tweak this to your hearts desire... Just type rdesktop at an xterm prompt to see all the various options.

--Chris
    Last edited by christr; 09/21/2011 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo new option is -r not -a
    Once you are happy with how its working, any plans to drop this into preware or quick install?