Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes
    @thecubed, looks awesome! That'll be a hot item in the App Catalog for sure!
    Still waiting for Splashtop...
    Wishing for logmein ignition but will take whatever works

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
    @ thecubed: That looks awesome. It would be nice o see some further development !
    yes I agree. Cannot wait for it!
    I'm looking forward to this too. I just got Remmina installed on my ubuntu partition but it doesn't seem to like the bluetooth keyboard.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    @ thecubed that's pretty epic, will be waiting to try it out
    excellent I look forward to a working app as that's is all I currently use my ubuntu install for :-)
    @thecubed can't wait for this app

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Palm Pre- Unlocked O2 Germany
    Palm Pre 2 Unlocked UK
    HP Pre 3 Unlocked Fr
    HP TouchPad 16Gb WiFi US
    Cool, wil be nice to have rdesktop as a regular app. Right now I'm stuck starting up Xterm (via Xecutah) and running it from there. Keep thinking of trying to figure out how to make it a package.. just haven't had the time. Your solution looks like it'll be much better (with a pretty front end).

The upside to rdesktop (unlike freerdp) is all the libraries you need are available via optware already. What I had been trying to do is figure out how to incorporate launching it with Xecutah, but you need a window manager as well (i'm using TWM) to make everythin work nice-nice. Only downside so far is i'm not sure how to rig up a way to right-click.

(all my stuff btw, I snagged the binaries out of Debian ARMEL packages and just copied into place on the touchpad)

--Chris
    With a mac you are all set! Macs run vncserver. just open a shell and run netstat, take note of the vncserver port since I believe it runs on a nonstandard vnc port. or.. just google it. the vnc viewer is in preware.
    I got a tweet from Splashtop today, I was asking for an update on progress, they replied soon.

Take it with as much salt as you want.
    OK, I updated my personal blog site with instructions on how to rig up rdesktop for RDP. It's a pain in the ****, but not too bad if you already play with stuff like Preware.

Essentially, you install preware, Xecutah, Xterm, Xserver, optware and then copy my crappy hack of Debian's ARMEL version of rdesktop to your touchpad. Then run my hack of an install script. That'll run optware and install your dependencies, copy stuff where it's supposed to be and give you a few launcher scripts to startup your RDP sessions. (i included 3, in case you had upto 3 cards running).

If posting links to other sites here for instructions is a nono, i'll copy/paste it in a separate message here if needed. Just wanted to keep it clean:

RDP on the Touchpad (the hard way) | ChrisTR's Ramblings

--Chris
    jbennett likes this.
    Cool would like to see some apps running of course.

Here's some ideas for things not available on the TouchPad

Google Earth
    Open Office
    Poker Stars
    some games.

thanks.
    Well, RDP is RDP... so you're generally limited to bandwidth on stuff like games and whatnot. Also, one thing I haven't bothered to try yet was audio. No idea if that'll pass thru. The upside is RDP tends to deal with low-bandwidth conditions a bit better then VNC, since RDP does object & font caching. VNC on the other hand draws each pixel.

--Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by christr View Post
    OK, I updated my personal blog site with instructions on how to rig up rdesktop for RDP. It's a pain in the ****, but not too bad if you already play with stuff like Preware.

Essentially, you install preware, Xecutah, Xterm, Xserver, optware and then copy my crappy hack of Debian's ARMEL version of rdesktop to your touchpad. Then run my hack of an install script. That'll run optware and install your dependencies, copy stuff where it's supposed to be and give you a few launcher scripts to startup your RDP sessions. (i included 3, in case you had upto 3 cards running).

If posting links to other sites here for instructions is a nono, i'll copy/paste it in a separate message here if needed. Just wanted to keep it clean:

[url= on the Touchpad (the hard way) | ChrisTR's Ramblings[/url]

--Chris
    Feel like posting in this thread? http://forums.precentral.net/webos-tips-information-resources/300175-media-streaming-tips-tricks-touchpad-webos-devices.html
    I'm trying to consolidate some advice on remote desktops, streaming options and other media delivery methods to the TP in an easy to use thread without opinions. Thanks for the info and work!
    Awesome!! I just went through your instructions which were super easy and straight forward, and everything works perfectly! Here's my only question. Once connected into an RDP session, the on-screen keyboard stays up with no way it seems of making it disappear. Because of this, I am only seeing the top half of my screen with no access to below. Is there a way to hide this unless typing? I'm in landscape mode, maybe it only works in portrait? Thanks so much for a solution that doesn't require the ubuntu installation!

Quote Originally Posted by christr View Post

RDP on the Touchpad (the hard way) | ChrisTR's Ramblings

--Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Awesome!! I just went through your instructions which were super easy and straight forward, and everything works perfectly! Here's my only question. Once connected into an RDP session, the on-screen keyboard stays up with no way it seems of making it disappear. Because of this, I am only seeing the top half of my screen with no access to below. Is there a way to hide this unless typing? I'm in landscape mode, maybe it only works in portrait? Thanks so much for a solution that doesn't require the ubuntu installation!
    Get the Tweaks app from Preware to choose your keyboard size for the x-server. You can also disable it entirely if you plan on using a bluetooth kb. Unfortunately you can't have the vkb be summoned or dismissed dynamically although I hear that should happen somewhere down the line.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Get the Tweaks app from Preware to choose your keyboard size for the x-server. You can also disable it entirely if you plan on using a bluetooth kb. Unfortunately you can't have the vkb be summoned or dismissed dynamically although I hear that should happen somewhere down the line.
    Thanks. I've already used Tweaks and made the keyboard be the smallest size, but it is still covering my taskbar, start menu, etc. in the RDP session for my Win7 PC. I guess I'll just plan on using my bluetooth keyboard and disabling onscreen keyboard.

Update: Nevermind. For some reason even though my Xterm had opened with the XS keyboard, when I launched RDP, it was using the S keyboard. I bumped it back down to XS and now I see the bottom of the screen! This is so great! So last question, how do you double click on something? double tapping doesn't seem to do anything.
    Last edited by volcom45; 09/21/2011 at 05:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Thanks. I've already used Tweaks and made the keyboard be the smallest size, but it is still covering my taskbar, start menu, etc. in the RDP session for my Win7 PC. I guess I'll just plan on using my bluetooth keyboard and disabling onscreen keyboard.

Update: Nevermind. For some reason even though my Xterm had opened with the XS keyboard, when I launched RDP, it was using the S keyboard. I bumped it back down to XS and now I see the bottom of the screen! This is so great! So last question, how do you double click on something? double tapping doesn't seem to do anything.
    ok cool.... I thought I had it rigged up properly to 'fill' the screen minus the keyboard. Good to know it works on more then just my box :-)

the xterm default to xs but keyboard to s got me the first few times as well.

what's nice is if you have an external keyboard you can set no keyboard in tweaks for xserver and do 1024x768 rdp.

-Chris