Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    we all know how poor the PDF reader was on the original WebOS devices but that never bothered me too much as I didn't read many on a small device.
    however, pdfs will be one of my primary use cases for the touchpad so I wondered if things had improved in terms of PDF compatibility and performance?

thanks
    uses quick office, and its fast
    quick swipes to change the page and of course zoom.
    I'm just happy it "works" my pre just doesnt even bother to try
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
  3. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    yeah that was my concern. should be much better using qo than the horrid PDF reader on 1.4.x
    Yeah we finally have a reliable PDF reader for webOS. Its awesome. You can view one full PDF page on the touchpad and its crisp and clear and entirely legible. The only thing I wish it supported was find in page or highlighting. Oh well, leaves the door open for 3rd party devs...
    This IS the primary function for me! as I´m a physician and have tons of PDF books that I would love to start reading on a tablet form.

I hope this can handle them. Anyone has any problem with really BIG books!? like 200 o 300 Mb size?

I would also be needing SEARCH and HIGHLIGHT so I hope that doesn´t take to long!
    Thanks
  6. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    yeah I'm a safari books online subscriber so download lots of books on PDF format. I also get a *lot* of work related pdfs with high volumes of graphics so they can be large. couldn't even preview the latter on my pre- or pre2...
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    the pdf reader is by adobe not quick office, I can confirm that I can open pdf's that I can not open on my pre
    Quote Originally Posted by lancepr View Post
    the pdf reader is by adobe not quick office, I can confirm that I can open pdf's that I can not open on my pre
    mine opens up with qo
    Gotta stay in the "NO"
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nightdevil21 View Post
    mine opens up with qo
    Weird thing is that the the first time I downloaded the TP User Guide it tried to open with QO, but failed. I hit the link again and this time it opened in Acrobat.

I have to say that this version of Acrobat is a real disappointment. You can't zoom in to a document and scroll between pages -- just within a single page. Not having find is also pretty crippling. Also, the thumbnail view is 2 wide which wastes a lot of space.

All in all I would not purchase the TouchPad if reading PDFs is one of the main uses.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    i plan on reading many pdfs as well. I'm really hoping they improve both the QO and the Acrobat reader, if this thread is to be believed. I could really use a Find option as well. Do you guys think updates are pending for these programs?
    I checked it in best buy and PDF files opened in Adobe which was ok readability wise but navigation was not that great. I tried to read a 1300 page document and was disappointed. There was no search (find in page) or jump to a page number. It also did not support local anchors. swiping to get to page 800 was a real pain. I am not sure if I missed something but I tried to find jump to and couldn't. I believe QuickOffice version may be better as is the case with iPad/Android. Again, I have not had a chance to check it out, I will when I get my touchpad.

I have both iPad1 and Transformer and Transformer works better however it was using Polaris Office (I also have Quick Office) and not Adobe's own software. iPad1 has really low memory (256MB) so it is unable to load a lot of pdf files that I need. I have 4 programs on ipad to read pdf files alone and it is a chore to find one which actually will open it.
    Here's what I thought about the Adobe Reader for HP Touchpad: It sucks big time!

* No rendering occurs when zooming in. i.e. If you zoom in, the type gets pixelated and fuzzy. It's like reading a scan of a document rather that a "true" PDF, even if the file is a "true" PDF. iPad does much, much better in this department as it renders the type correctly when you zoom in. It's as if they took a jpg snapshot of that page and displayed it to you.
    * When reading a book, I like to flip pages left to right. Instead, they force you to flip up and down. And sometimes, the flipping doesn't even work (i.e. you try to flip to the next page and it fails to do so)
    * Navigation is useless. I can't go to a specific page by entering a page number! Instead, they have this little scroller where you have to scroll to that page number. That's a lot of scrolling if you have hundreds of pages! I can't go to the first page. Some PDF files have a link in the Table of Contents that take you straight to the page; that doesn't work.
    * No search feature.
    * No options or preferences. All it has is "About", "Send", "Print...", and "Help". And the help opens up a page to Quickoffice - Support Center. Useless...

I'm guessing this is Adobe's first shot at a PDF reader for WebOS, so I guess that might be OK, but it's a debilitating experience for first-time WebOS users who want to use the Touchpad to read PDF books. <SHOCK!>

Here's hoping that there will be better 3rd-party PDF reader tools soon.
    I too was disappointed with PDF app... It is slow to render, so reading is paused page to page.

Many things I read are also available in ePub files, but we have no option for that.

Seems like a pretty big oversight, considering how many nonfunctional "tablets" are sold (Nook, Kindle) for just this purpose.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    ...or jump to a page number...
    If you click the current page number a list of page numbers will pop up. You need to scroll it, which is still a pain in the ***, but it's better than scrolling page by page (I took your meaning to be scrolling page by page, sorry in advance if you meant scrolling the page list).

I can't stand the page rendering time. I'm not sure how the PDFs I was using were saved but the things took 3-5 seconds per page to render. My uber cheap LCD ebook reader is faster
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    PDF reader works fine for all of my files that I have tried on it so far, finally a PDF reader that works on webOS.
    I use GoodReader on my iPad 1. PDFs load quickly. Scrolling is as fast as you can swipe your finger left or right. You can highlight text, pinch to zoom. Text is super crisp. A single tap to the center of the pdf reveals a scrub bar. It is very responsive and allows you to quickly find a page. There is also a search for text option. The app is fantastic and one I hope we see on the touchpad.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I'm trying out the PDF Reader for the first time. I wish you could search (my same issue with the web browser) and that it rendered faster. Otherwise it seems to be working well.
    Additionally, a huge perk is that you can open multiple .pdfs at once! Not sure if iOS or Android can do that but its incredibly useful for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I too was disappointed with PDF app... It is slow to render, so reading is paused page to page.

Many things I read are also available in ePub files, but we have no option for that.

Seems like a pretty big oversight, considering how many nonfunctional "tablets" are sold (Nook, Kindle) for just this purpose.
    Ummm Kindle doesn't read epub either. It reads Mobi. And the Kindle doesn't read PDF either. Yet it's one of the best ereaders on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I use GoodReader on my iPad 1. PDFs load quickly. Scrolling is as fast as you can swipe your finger left or right. You can highlight text, pinch to zoom. Text is super crisp. A single tap to the center of the pdf reveals a scrub bar. It is very responsive and allows you to quickly find a page. There is also a search for text option. The app is fantastic and one I hope we see on the touchpad.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Yeah, goodreader would be nice for the Touchpad. I agree.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast