Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Ummm Kindle doesn't read epub either. It reads Mobi. And the Kindle doesn't read PDF either. Yet it's one of the best ereaders on the market.
    yes, that is my point... That there really NO good way to read on the TP. Not PDF, not pUb, not any e(book) anything. How can they have thought we wouldn't mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by bolija View Post
    This IS the primary function for me! as Im a physician and have tons of PDF books that I would love to start reading on a tablet form.

I hope this can handle them. Anyone has any problem with really BIG books!? like 200 o 300 Mb size?

I would also be needing SEARCH and HIGHLIGHT so I hope that doesnt take to long!
    Thanks
    I too have thousands of PDF books! The Touchpad is perfect for this. It has "Adobe PDF Reader", which can open "multiple" PDF books at the same time. I have tried it with up to 5 textbooks (>200 pages and ~10MB each) open at the same time. I don't have a book > 50MB, so I can't respond to really large files, but I am confident that it is quite robust since it was developed by Adobe and my experience has been very very positive.

Also, it gives you thumbnail views of the pages.
    Does it support password protected pdf files?
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bolija View Post
    This IS the primary function for me! as Im a physician and have tons of PDF books that I would love to start reading on a tablet form.
    I have a lot of PDF books, too. It works pretty well, but there is some multi-pass rendering (i.e. fuzzy then less fuzzy then clear) that happens on large docs as you scroll through. A friend with the iPad and some of the same books has told me the same thing happens to him, but he's out of town, so I haven't done first-hand comparison on how fast it resolves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    yes, that is my point... That there really NO good way to read on the TP. Not PDF, not pUb, not any e(book) anything. How can they have thought we wouldn't mind?
    THIS. Exactly why I decided to teach myself enough coding to become a developer and write my own damn reading app for webos 3. It won't be easy and I hope some one more experienced does it sooner than I do; but it certainly needs done. Ever since my experience with ibooks on the Ipad and sony's latest iteration of it's reader; I've never been satisfied with anything less. The search feature in ibooks is really freaking nice and being able to double tap to get a definition or options to highlight, copy, etc...once you get used to that everything else is disappointing and I"m greatly annoyed that HP didn't include a decent reader. Perhaps one is being cooked as I write this, if so, please release it soon and please have it be comparable to ibooks.

I have RSI issues and willing to suffer thru learning to code just to make a decent reading app; I 'll never understand why some folks decide to code the crap they do and call it a reading app. I hope at least goodreader gets ported.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I'll agree with mobi, etc. But my PDF books are working just fine. Granted, I'd like to be able to swipe side-to-side, rather than up/down, but it still works and is pretty.
    What infuriates me is that something as simple as opening a pdf to the same page you were on when you last viewed the document isn't there. That, and searching of course.
    what about filling in a pdf form? anyone can confirm that works?
    No, it's an *extremely* simple pdf reader. Pretty slow as well to be honest. It's a start at least.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skadaddle View Post
    What infuriates me is that something as simple as opening a pdf to the same page you were on when you last viewed the document isn't there. That, and searching of course.
    Okay. That would be awesome.
    I am still trying to find out what folder to put my pdfs in. Also trying to find out if their is a reader for epub files? I have a complete library of Shakespeare I would like to read on my TP
    Agree with most of the other post. I planned on using the TouchPad for manuals and eBooks - mostly PDF files. I haven't had any issues with opening or paging through any PDF file. My issue is NO search functionality or "jump to" page or indexes.

It would make the TouchPad much more useful with that functionality. For now, I will need to leave my documents on my PC and bounce around multiple windows.
    it worked for me the first few days. Now it won't open -- either by clicking on the app or trying to open a file. When I called hp they wanted to do a partial erase. I declined,and will wait for a 3rd party app. Hope it's not long.
    Just wondering if anyone has heard any news about a good pdf reader for the TP?
    You can make the default pdf reader better by just changing the resolution. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html
    <thread moved>
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtlong View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has heard any news about a good pdf reader for the TP?
    Unfortunately, the best one is using ubuntu (with gestures so u can exit out of full screen) and evince PDF reader. Fonts are sharp, zoom is clear.. just perfect except running ubuntu in a card is a bit of chore and I think it sucks more battery than usual.

Can also read .chm files in ubuntu..
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvestor1234 View Post
    You can make the default pdf reader better by just changing the resolution. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html
    Yup I did that but rendering is now slow. For professional papers that are not long it is not too bad but for downloaded news papers (e.g., Detroit Free Press and Chicago Tribune that use the Olive software) it is not so good. rendering takes for ever. I want the pdf to be able to read in portrait mode. The TP does not seem to be able to do portrait mode on line like windows XP and & can.
    Quote Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
    Unfortunately, the best one is using ubuntu (with gestures so u can exit out of full screen) and evince PDF reader. Fonts are sharp, zoom is clear.. just perfect except running ubuntu in a card is a bit of chore and I think it sucks more battery than usual.

Can also read .chm files in ubuntu..
    Sounds like you are using ubuntu. Is the chore getting ubuntu on your computer or using it?
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidtlong View Post
    Sounds like you are using ubuntu. Is the chore getting ubuntu on your computer or using it?
    If you follow the instructions word for word.. its quite simple actually

when running ubuntu, you have to:
    make sure to run in full screen, by disabling keyboard for tweaks app
    I did not partition the drive so I have to mount the file each time I reboot or connect USB
    setup a gesture in ubuntu for "ESC" so u can get out of full screen without KB
    I suspect battery takes a hit so keeping it running in background all the time may not be the best

otherwise, the quality and speed are very good. .chm is big plus too
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast