So I've tinkered around with Google Docs for a while, but never did much serious work with it. Recently, I know that Office has released their office suite online so I've taken a look at that as well, but always fall back to the desktop version. Now with the pending arrival of my Touchpad and the free box.net storage as well as an increase chance of working while on the go, I'm thinking of taking a much harder look at the cloud based services. I'm just curious as to get others' opinions of the various services and how best to integrate them into a desktop / cloud hybrid experience.

I'm a little concerned about getting a few gig here and a few gig there (I've probably got 100gig available to me spread across a dozen different services at the moment). I use different tools for different kinds of documents and don't like the idea of having stuff sprinkled all over the net (Evernote, Google Docs, SkyDrive, ZumuDrive etc) so I'd like to pick a single service as my 'go-to' service for all of my cloud based work. I foresee an environment where I need to do the following:
1) Work from a laptop or desktop using desktop software for more complex tasks.
2) Do editing on the go from the touchpad (or notebook) and have those documents available on my desktop later.
3) Work a combination of online / offline and keep everything in sync
4) Access documents created on my desktop from the touchpad.

A few observations...

1) Google docs - seems to have the head start in editing capabilities for spreadsheets and documents. I think that realistically, if I use Google Docs, at this point, I'd be editing and saving my documents from my box.net account rather than using Google docs natively. I don't like that Google saves in its own format. I've hate to have to spend hours and hours converting .gdoc files to some other standard format in the event I decide to switch editors at some point down the road.

2) SkyDrive - office online - they seem to be a little behind Google at the moment in terms of editing features, but with the resources Microsoft has at its disposal, I suspect that will be changing soon. I like that they have a clean integration with the desktop apps. Can open / save directly from MS Word of Excel for example and there is a utility for syncing desktop folders with SkyDrive. It's a really nice solution overall, but I'm concerned that as I go "all-in" with the working in the cloud, I can only save my office documents here, so I'll have those documents on SkyDrive and other stuff stored in other places around the web. This has an online version of OneNote which is a big plus.

3) Box.net - Of course the free 50Gb is a big plus, and the integration with GoogleDocs is a plus. And of course, it looks like it will be set up to work well with the touchpad from day 1. However, as Microsoft surpasses Google in features (which is probably inevitable), I may wish I had my documents over on SkyDrive (unless MS develops a box.net plugin at some point). I would also miss having OneNote available. The DocsInOffice plug-in does allow me to open / edit on my desktop, but it seems painfully slow at the moment. Desktop syncing is only available to business users at the moment.

3) Zoho doesn't provide much storage for free, but can edit Word / Excel files in their native format on box.net. The interface isn't as clean as Google Docs for editing, but is probably better than office online at the moment. I don't know how big Zoho is, so I question if they'll be able to compete with the 'big boys' in keeping up with features.

For the time being, I'm going to use box.net with the Zoho editor and take the bet that eventually Microsoft will integrate with box.net as well and I'll be able to use their online apps for editing my documents in the future. I'm still trying to figure out where Evernote fits in to the picture.

By using Zoho instead of Google Docs, I figure that the worst case is that if I decide Skydrive is the right solution I have to move everything over but at least won't have to convert. I will manually keep all documents sync'ed to my desktop with is backed up both locally and online via Carbonite.. I don't want to trust box.net as a permanent backup just yet.

I really like the box.net philosphy, they provide the storage (my cloud 'hard disk') and other companies develop apps. I can have my word processing, spreadsheets, mind maps etc. all stored in one place. I hope that this is the wave of the future for cloud-based services, where I simply get my storage from one provider and then cloud-based applications can allow me to use the storage provider of my choice.

I know I've rambled, but the cloud computing thing is in it's infancy and it seems really difficult to sort out the various solutions at the moment.