Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by antragon View Post
    Anyone else has the problem that google music is extremely slow/laggy on the touchpad?
    Yes, it is unusable except for the first selection. in another word, you open it and play something and that is fine. Then it is extremely slow to scroll to another song/playlist/album.
    i used to have google music on my android phone but i removed it from that and my computer because it has to upload every single song you have. and i have 18k+ songs. my touchpad isnt arriving until thursday but i think ill be reinstalling orb on my computer when i do get it.
    I have the same problem. Trying to scroll through songs is so slow it is hard to use. Is Amazon better in this regard?
    I have very much lag as well. It would be really awesome to be able to smoothly use Google Music on the Touchpad, but right now it really feels like a less-than-ideal solution... I wish there was an app or some fix to make it smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man View Post
    i used to have google music on my android phone but i removed it from that and my computer because it has to upload every single song you have. and i have 18k+ songs. my touchpad isnt arriving until thursday but i think ill be reinstalling orb on my computer when i do get it.
    I have about 6k and it was done overnight. Just leave it running for a couple days, it's worth it.
    Yep, just leaving the system to sync up your folders overnight is the way to go .

And yeah, google music runs beautifully on my touchpad. It's a bit redundant because I've been using ORB to essentially do the same thing for my whole media collection, but I can see the benefit of letting google do the serving for me.

I've still got a dozen invites or so if anyone wants them btw...
    Last edited by ncinerate; 09/07/2011 at 09:56 AM.
    Does Google Music actually cache the songs locally or does it need a constant live connection to stream music?
    whittgto likes this.
    although i have amazon cloud, i noticed that their player is not TP firendly.. i would like to try google music beta ..please send me an invite: yeehayeeha AT google

really appreciate it.. thanks.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tripko View Post
    although i have amazon cloud, i noticed that their player is not TP firendly.. i would like to try google music beta ..please send me an invite: yeehayeeha AT google

really appreciate it.. thanks.
    invited
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    I have about 6k and it was done overnight. Just leave it running for a couple days, it's worth it.
    i got to around 2k songs uploaded then i read an article about google music and pirated songs that made me reconsider continuing use. im not too comfortable uploading around 98% of a music library that i didnt pay for which amounts to about 18.5k songs of the 18,986 that i have.
    i got to around 2k songs uploaded then i read an article about google music and pirated songs that made me reconsider continuing use. im not too comfortable uploading around 98% of a music library that i didnt pay for which amounts to about 18.5k songs of the 18,986 that i have.
    If I downloaded a couple of CDs that I already owned because it was faster than ripping from the CD, is that still illegal? I do own copies of the music in question.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    FWIW, I use pandora a lot and it keeps playing even after the screen turns off. Very nice.
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    i love it too but is there a way to "double click" looks like you just have to hit play and let it play. i couldnt find a way to click a new song to play. any help here?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    How can google tell that you didn't rip those songs from your own cds?

Since google music makes it difficult to 'share' the music you uploaded to the cloud, I doubt the RIAA and their lawyers will be interested in your collection.
    I really wouldn't worry about it man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    that's pretty good. i average only get about 1000 files a night.

I got over 20000 songs. I wasn't gonna do it until i saw a post about google music vs. icloud and they guy made the point that if google offers 20k songs for free upload then "the game is over, Google wins." Because that's more then the average user has in music anyways. If apple's gonna charge for like 5k or 10k files a whole lot of people will just pick the free google service. They made the point if that's the case "it can't be free forever." Now of course it possibly could be free but google has said it won't be free.

Thus i decided screw it i'm uploading most of my stuff while i'm 100% positive it's free. Because what are they gonna do if they decide to charge later. Not give me access to everything i already uploaded? I really doubt that? I'd bet they'd grandfather people in. So i figured i'd get it uploaded and dare them to take away my access. And i don't even use google music. But i'm uploading in case i do in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    How can google tell that you didn't rip those songs from your own cds?

Since google music makes it difficult to 'share' the music you uploaded to the cloud, I doubt the RIAA and their lawyers will be interested in your collection.
    yeah they'd have to somehow find find a way to find out whether each person bought a valid mp3 or not. That level of work is kinda ridiculous. Google isn't gonna go behind millions of people and inquire about buying habits. It's not practical.

And the inability to download helps protect Google from claims of contributory infringement. Which is largely why they don't offer it. Because what RIAA is really scared of is someone uploading a terabyte of music to a free google account then handing it out to an entire dormitory, or office, or every friend and have them download the whole collection. I'm sure they'll offer something similar at some point but not before they work out some way to not get sued by record companies. Now if it takes to long to work out a deal Google could just say "screw it, we have the functionality ready, it's taking too long, we're adding download functionality without the consesnt and a deal with the record companies and we'll just rely on ISP Safe Harbor provisions as protections." They essentially protect websites like Youtube or a general isp from liability of people that use there services to do illegal things.

Quote Originally Posted by untitled View Post
    If I downloaded a couple of CDs that I already owned because it was faster than ripping from the CD, is that still illegal? I do own copies of the music in question.
    Technically, no it's not legal. The act of downloading a file you don't have a right to download (as in torrents, etc.) is an making an unauthorized copy and it's not lawful. That you own or used to own the cd does not make the act of copying lawful. Now, practically speaking Nobody is likely to ever find out unless you go telling people. personally i wouldn't worry about it.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/22/2011 at 01:33 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    It is legal if the CD /DVD etc contains a digital version which more and more are doing

The thing is, what is the worst Google will do once they decide that 20,000 songs is no longer going to be free. They can just delete your files or charge you as they see fit (as you have them on your local device anyway, I guess deleting them isn't a big issue as you uploaded them to begin with)
    Quote Originally Posted by next_milenium View Post
    FWIW, I use pandora a lot and it keeps playing even after the screen turns off. Very nice.
    So you're using the Pandora website as opposed to the app? Is it the old flash website or the new HTML5 website?
    Quote Originally Posted by *Sonic* View Post
    It is legal if the CD /DVD etc contains a digital version which more and more are doing

The thing is, what is the worst Google will do once they decide that 20,000 songs is no longer going to be free. They can just delete your files or charge you as they see fit (as you have them on your local device anyway, I guess deleting them isn't a big issue as you uploaded them to begin with)
    That's not actually true unless in buying the cd there is a license granted in some form, maybe the language on the cd, to make copies by downloading them from another source not thats not the actual digital copy, like torrents or file sharing blogs. Normally buying a cd with a digital copy gives you ownership of the cd and it's contents, digital or not. And you can upload that digital copy. But unless it says so it's not a grant of a license to download unauthorized digital copies. Now again the only way to find out where the downloaded file came from would be to look at your dowloading patterns, actual file info, or do some digital fingerprinting. And i highly doubt many companies would go through that effort. It's costly for what you'd get from a lay person should you sue them. You're better off sueing the guy hosting the files for the original download. Again technically not legal but i wouldn't remotely worry about it. I'm not.

yeah, i still got local copies, and backups of the local copies. nothing google could do to really bother me.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    You have absolutely no reason for concern.

Every digital file sharing suit that has ever been filed by the media companies has accused the defendant of sharing content, not simply having content.

There are some very good reasons the media companies don't sue those who simply have content.

A. Media companies are permitted to litigate for damages for each copy of a file that has been shared. Someone hosting a torrent for a few weeks may share a file thousands of times. They can be liable for damages for each copy shared.

Someone that simply has a copy of a file they didn't pay for is at most, liable for that single copy of that single file. It's small potatoes, not worth the media company's time.

B. Owning a legitimate copy of the actual media does not indemnify those who share files with others, it does indemnify those that have files uploaded to lockers like Google and Amazon for their own personal use. The courts have been quite clear on this, making copies of one's own music is fair use, no matter what the shrinkwrap license on the CD or DVD may say. Were media companies to try to litigate against those simply having content, the obvious recourse for defendants would be to purchase legitimate copies in disc form. It would be nearly impossible to prove the defendant hadn't had the product in advance.

C. Even if the media companies wanted to go after those that simply have files they didn't pay for, it would be incredibly difficult to find those people. Do you think Google and Amazon are going to share the contents of these lockers without a fight?

The media companies would have to sue, the court case would take ages. If such a suit were to happen, users would have plenty of time to remove their content. Personally, I think the odds that the media companies would be given the rights to fish through millions of private citizen's private data are incredibly low. I don't see users standing for it, and I don't see the courts ever mandating it.

As things stand now, you have nothing to worry about. Put as many files as you want in digital lockers. Worst case, the locker owners lose the right to store the content and it will be deleted. I think even that is hugely unlikely, but that's the realistic worst case, you lose the content.
    Last edited by Toasters; 09/08/2011 at 10:30 PM.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast