Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone with a touchpad tried out google docs? Here is what I am wondering...

1. Can you create a new doc?

2. Can you open an alreay created doc?

3. Can you open an already created doc and EDIT it?

Number 3 is what I am most interested in... I am expecting 1 and 2 to work just fine (as they do on my Pre 2).... But I can't for the life of me open an existing doc on my pre 2 and EDIT it through Google Docs...

Thanks
    Yes to 2 & 3!

I just tried it and it was smooth as silk to edit an existing doc.

I did, however, have trouble creating one. Everything loaded fine, but when I tapped the document body to start typing, the keyboard wouldn't come up. I wish I'd had a bt keyboard to see if that would work.

But yes, editing a Google Doc is flawless and smooth.
    I got a new doc to open, but couldn't figure out how to bring the keyboard up to type in the doc. I was able to open an existing doc and edit it, the keyboard came right up for that.
    I got the keyboard to come up in a new one, click the browser address bar, then back on the document.
    Quote Originally Posted by danh35 View Post
    I got the keyboard to come up in a new one, click the browser address bar, then back on the document.
    Ah, there's our answer.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Everything available in the desktop version is available on Touchpad (to my knowledge). The scrolling doesn't work perfectly because it's scrolling inside a box inside a window, and it's not very smooth, and the controls are a bit too small, and the UI isn't touch optimized at all, and...

But, if you really need to use it, it does work.
    Palm Pre. Sprint.

View My Mockup!
    I'm having trouble logging into my Google docs account. It looks like I logged into my email, contacts, calendar ok but docs arent showing up in quickoffice. Is there anything I have to do special for this to work?
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    you have to use the browser... Wont work with quick office quite yet. I think another few weeks for that to happen =]

yes! I had the same issue.. Go to services and tap the account you need to sync... You will notice that docs says no to sync. Slide the tab over and hit sync, then tap back and ure done. Load quick office and you will see ure docs :-)
    cabbonizio likes this.
    ijip, that did the trick! I can't thank you enough for jumping in so fast and and recommending this simple solution. I hope I can help you out the same in the future as we keep diddling around with this sweet device. Are you liking your Touchpad so far?
    Ah, excellent. You can edit on Google Docs, and then use the Quickoffice app to download to your Touchpad.

Too bad that for many people, if there isn't an app for it then it doesn't exist.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I'm having issues getting documents to scroll... is there some trick I'm missing?
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katefields View Post
    I did, however, have trouble creating one. Everything loaded fine, but when I tapped the document body to start typing, the keyboard wouldn't come up.
    Mine worked once i tapped on the document title and filled something in, then the keyboard came up when i clicked back in the body
    make sure your touch pad is up to date cuz google doc worked for me no problem try using the nee google doc lay out if there problems
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    you have to use the browser... Wont work with quick office quite yet. I think another few weeks for that to happen =]

yes! I had the same issue.. Go to services and tap the account you need to sync... You will notice that docs says no to sync. Slide the tab over and hit sync, then tap back and ure done. Load quick office and you will see ure docs :-)
    Go to services - Where do you find services?
    Quote Originally Posted by joeeyes View Post
    Go to services - Where do you find services?
    He means the "Accounts" app under "Settings". This is where you configure account 'services' on the device. Doc sync is "off" by default on your Google accounts. You have to enable it manually.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I got the OTA update last night, tried the new GDocs layout, still no scrolling. in docs I try to tap and push to scroll and it just highlights text.
    Zoomer > Handspring Deluxe > Treo 90 > Zire71 > LifeDrive > Centro > Pre (yes, still!)
    TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnee View Post
    I got the OTA update last night, tried the new GDocs layout, still no scrolling. in docs I try to tap and push to scroll and it just highlights text.
    Yeah, that part sucks, BUT the arrows now work with the BT keyboard, and it is MUCH more smooth since the 3.0.2 update. Altogether it works much better than it used to.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Ok, so the ONLY way to currently get it to scroll is with a BT keyboard...?
    TouchPad
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnee View Post
    Ok, so the ONLY way to currently get it to scroll is with a BT keyboard...?
    Yep. At least I haven't been able to find another way. Fortunately Quickoffice with editing is due in the near future.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by satchmo82 View Post
    Yep. At least I haven't been able to find another way. Fortunately Quickoffice with editing is due in the near future.
    yea, I guess for now I'll use the typewriter thing to create notes... but I have a lot of existing stuff in GDocs for my radio show that I was really hoping to be able to work on with my TP on days I don't want to lug my laptop around.
    TouchPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast