Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    There are plenty of free and low cost calculators and task mangers in the app catalog.

ET
    Scientific RPN calculator HD by Marco is in the catalog & it is an EXCELLENT calculator.

edit: Sorry, wrong name first time. Check out Marco's calculator - it's great
    Last edited by govotsos; 07/06/2011 at 03:18 AM.
    Im pretty sure they made this assuming people had a phone that already did those things. People will usually never go anywhere without their phones. Im sure they COULD have added these apps just to have them on the TouchPad. I dont see why not.
    world clock featured in pivot is cool
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    To be honest, Calculator, Tasks, Clock and even Camera seem to be the less important apps on a tablet. I think they just let them out because of having no time to code them in enyo in time.

I am pretty sure, that these are already on their way, coming with the next Update or so...
    Exactly, HP had to prioritize -- it's buggy and missing apps because they just rewrote an entire OS guys! Seems like very few people seem to understand this though. They also had a deadline they had to meet, but could control when they began to market the hell out of it. So here we are, once they push out the update to get a majority of the bad bugs fixed then I suspect we'll start to see the push that we expect.
    When I first got my Pre- during HP's "fire sale" last Oct. I found Classic Note in the PreCentral feeds and To Do Classic in the App Catalog ($1.99). Both work pretty much like the old PalmOS apps with a WebOS twist, so I've been happy.

*edit* They run in emulator mode on the TouchPad. I'll be copying at least the Notes db over from my phone.
    If you shoot a picture with your phone isn't it supposed to automagically appear in your touchpad photo albumn
    I'm hoping for Notes by Inglorious. As far as task managers, calculators and alarm clocks, there are free ones in the app catalog.

I don't think HP plans on coming up with one. I think they figured people would download a free one or pay for the one of their choice, instead of people complaining about the one that came the the TouchPad being crap.

Question for cyberprashant: Does the world clock that's featured have an alarm setting?

I don't expect to use my tablet as an alarm clock, I never used my laptop that way, but it wouldn't hurt to have the world clock since the TouchPad is Wifi only. It would be a good bonus if it also had alarm settings.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
    Im pretty sure they made this assuming people had a phone that already did those things. People will usually never go anywhere without their phones. Im sure they COULD have added these apps just to have them on the TouchPad. I dont see why not.
    Actually,the example used for being able to do phone calls/texts on the TouchPad is if you have your phone in one part of the house (maybe wirelessly charging) and you are in another part of the house w/your TouchPad...

One of the reasons given for TTS is if you have both devices, but you are going somewhere where you will only have one device...so TTS so you can take that website w/you.

We know we will be separated from our devices occasionally. Even if we aren't, does anyone want to be constantly changing devices to use BASIC apps? I don't.

As you said at the end, "Im sure they COULD have added these apps just to have them on the TouchPad. I dont see why not."
    palm_pete likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5 View Post
    ...Actually,the example used for being able to do phone calls/texts on the TouchPad is if you have your phone in one part of the house (maybe wirelessly charging) and you are in another part of the house w/your TouchPad...

One of the reasons given for TTS is if you have both devices, but you are going somewhere where you will only have one device...so TTS so you can take that website w/you.

We know we will be separated from our devices occasionally. Even if we aren't, does anyone want to be constantly changing devices to use BASIC apps? I don't.

As you said at the end, "Im sure they COULD have added these apps just to have them on the TouchPad. I dont see why not."
    Good question!
    From my small developer's point of view it makes a lot of sense for hp/palm to provide only the 'must have' apps by default.
    With each buck a customer pays for an app to another developer the people at hp/palm earn 30pc and if you look at the 'fruit company': thats a good deal on the long run...

anyway I think people should have basic functions for free. Thats why I developed 3 little tP apps and just posted a thread to introduce them:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...utilities.html

Of course I also think not all the work of developers should be for free. So the advanced versions of the apps mentioned above are scheduled to be released in august if there are enough users interested (maybe for 0,99c - relying on the long run

best regards, martux
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if Done! by Tiger Country Software will be brought to WebOS 3.0 abd the touchpad? That would fix my Task app need.
    Sprint client since 1998. Treo 650, Treo 700, Treo 755p, Palm Pre till it died--- now have HTC EVO
    I want an HP48GX Calc App!!! (or 50G)
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    I want an HP48GX Calc App!!! (or 50G)
    Marco's Scientific RPN Calculator isn't quite up to that yet, but it is an EXCELLENT HP1xC calculator.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    Does anyone know if Done! by Tiger Country Software will be brought to WebOS 3.0 abd the touchpad? That would fix my Task app need.
    Tiger Country Software posted an update to the beta version (0.5.11) that displays full screen on the TPad. It looks very good to me and suits my needs just fine until they develop a full Enyo implementation.
    I think Outline Tracker is a great app for tasks, and it runs on the TouchPad (of course, I wrote it :-) Outline Tracker Features You can get your toes wet with the free version: http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...icationid=1427

If you need something simpler, there's several other good to-do list apps.
    TP really does need tasks integrated. Would like to see it integrated into the email app and sync to exchange and others through the magic of Synergy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    yikes, thats a big deal. I wondered what I was missing.

I'm a frequent traveler and often use the alarm on my phone. I think the task list has been around since the first Palm Pilot.
    So now that you have a tablet (assuming you do), you're going to now leave your phone at home?

I suspect that a lot of these (except the Tasks) were probably low on HP's priority list. Just about every phone has a basic calculator and an alarm clock.

Personally, I'm not overly disappointed with there being no tasks app. I was disappointed in their initial offering with the Pre, but I've long since started using could based tasks apps instead of local based.
    Quote Originally Posted by kurzweil View Post
    If you shoot a picture with your phone isn't it supposed to automagically appear in your touchpad photo albumn
    Not unless you save the photo in a cloud sevice that is supported by the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by tj0827 View Post
    It has been now.
    Quote Originally Posted by govotsos View Post
    Scientific RPN calculator HD by Marco is in the catalog & it is an EXCELLENT calculator.

edit: Sorry, wrong name first time. Check out Marco's calculator - it's great
    It looks good, but it's a bit expensive.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast