Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    i ask adora, chuq and richard, no response. wish they would just said we dont know.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOstler View Post
    This is basically 'the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing' issue. The App team pulls the Kindle app, but fails to notify the Pivot team, and like the Pivot team, the Twitter marketing team also fails to get the word. There are just a lot of moving parts over at HP and I chalk this up to new device launch kinks in the system.

You can bet your bottom dollar that HP is well aware of the impact of pulling the Kindle app. Kindle is one of those flagship apps that separate the good devices from the crappy ones. I can't imagine getting Kindle working isn't one of their top priorities. If any one of us were running the company it would be for us - just because HP isn't saying so, doesn't mean it isn't so.

Just my 2 cents.
    Yeah, I'm sure it's a top priority too. But that doesn't mean they have to be mum on it. An official word, ie, "It was pulled due to a major bug in the payment system, and is estimated to be back on or around 7/15", would be nice.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    what amazes me is that the placeholder downloads something that says it's a Beta and stay tuned. why not just let it say stay tuned? "Beta" makes you think you're going to use a test version of an app, not NO app. Why don't we have an option to opt-in to use that Beta? argh!
    I used 1/2 tube of super glue and attached my kindle to the back of the Touchpad.

1. No fingerprints for my ipad friends to laugh at.
    2. 3 processors now instead of 2 - beat that nook
    3. Camera is "rear" facing when reading a book.
    4. I'm sure there are other +'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockett0 View Post
    I used 1/2 tube of super glue and attached my kindle to the back of the Touchpad.

1. No fingerprints for my ipad friends to laugh at.
    2. 3 processors now instead of 2 - beat that nook
    3. Camera is "rear" facing when reading a book.
    4. I'm sure there are other +'s
    you have a fun - ctional kindle app
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I am really disappointed that it is not working. I bought a 32G yesterday at Costco. I am travelling across the country today and was planning on doing plenty of reading. I am so P O I may take it back. I am a Pre- owner and I am starting to feel the way I felt as an owner of that phone. Sigh!
    Quote Originally Posted by kerred View Post
    I am really disappointed that it is not working. I bought a 32G yesterday at Costco. I am travelling across the country today and was planning on doing plenty of reading. I am so P O I may take it back. I am a Pre- owner and I am starting to feel the way I felt as an owner of that phone. Sigh!
    you mean, so many promises??? I know man, I know how you feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by kerred View Post
    I am a Pre- owner and I am starting to feel the way I felt as an owner of that phone. Sigh!
    Feel or Felt?

You sentence makes it sound like to didn't like the Pre now you do..
    It's ridiculous to place a Kindle app icon on a device only to tap it and find out it's not available yet...
    Jimmie Geddes
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Hi,

This is very disappointing, Kindle app doesn't work. it's the same for the HP Video... it's a very strange way of selling a product where Application are just an icon...
    not to have working on launch, when it was working in review units is nuts.

but for it still not to be available a week later is crazy.

there shouldnt of been an icon if they didnt know it would be available in a couple of days.
    Felipe
    I think HP is hoping this issue goes away as people find other stuff to do with their TouchPad.

I have a feeling this app, doc editing in quickoffice, Armageddon Squadron 2, Netflix, etc. are a very, very long way off. I bet we see new hardware in August or later before any of this shows up. I hope I'm wrong.

If HP can let people think this stuff is coming through the 30-day return policy, they are set and after 30 days there is no real rush for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    I think HP is hoping this issue goes away as people find other stuff to do with their TouchPad.

I have a feeling this app, doc editing in quickoffice, Armageddon Squadron 2, Netflix, etc. are a very, very long way off. I bet we see new hardware in August or later before any of this shows up. I hope I'm wrong.

If HP can let people think this stuff is coming through the 30-day return policy, they are set and after 30 days there is no real rush for them.
    Is there something specific you're basing the "long way off"on the Quick Office (Netflix was never promised), or is this just more idle negative speculation because it's so much fun coming on to a WebOS website and being negative?
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Is there something specific you're basing the "long way off"on the Quick Office (Netflix was never promised), or is this just more idle negative speculation because it's so much fun coming on to a WebOS website and being negative?
    i thought it was pretty clear. He said he "had a feeling."
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    This is why it's rarely a good idea to make open-ended statements like:

That pales in comparison with Apple and Android, but Duke said the essential mobile applications will be available to TouchPad customers at launch. "TouchPad has all the apps that most customers use most of the time," he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not idel negative speculation at all. I don't think I'm being negative at all, just setting my expectation and posting it hear. For something to be talked about from Feb 9th all the way up to launch tells me they don't really have their act together on this stuff yet. Let's hope I'm wrong, but I have work for Fortune 15 companies in technology for about 20 years and I have seen patterns. Companies, like most people, have short attention spans and don't like working on the hard stuff. Ignoring it and making things out of sight help make them out of mind. I really don't think HP is too concerned with these apps and functionality. I think they are more focused on pleasing the review community and addressing the issues they wrote about - bugs in OS, memory leaks, etc.

Think about it - Kindle and the HP Movie Store are both listed in the first edition of Pivot and they don't even work. Reading the article on HP Movie Store makes it sound like the app is working doesn't it. So, HP is deliberately saying one thing while doing another.

Rather the device will evolve over time as they know it's a journey they just started. Let's hope HP stays committed to WebOs, these devices and the ecosystem for many years. We'll see.

At the end of the day, it is what it is and every consumer has choices to make - which is a good thing. I choose the TouchPad for now and am willing to sit by and wait for the apps I consider must haves. I can still voice my opinion I do believe.

I also think, several of these delays will have a big impact on HP's push into the enterprise/business world. They claim this is the tablet for business people - maybe in the future - but no way is it worth much in this space today. It's why I bought it and with each passing day the device is already getting less use as it doesn't have some essential things I thought it would have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post

I said this in another post but I'll echo it here (in case somebody at HP is listening?) They need to be doing way more incremental updates and even if for example, there's a Kindle app that has 4 sample books but no connectivity there should be something! The Movie Store app should at least hit a website with titles that say available soon or something that plays preview clips! Or how about a QO that can at least create and edit text files!?

And Pivot should be bumped to once a week.

OTA updates, not hindered by a carrier, mean that HP is solely responsible for the pace of the problem resolutions and app (non) availability (I mean, they must have some kind of agreements with the QuickOffice devs to have made the promises they've made, right?) and small, frequent updates are IMHO far more effective in building confidence.

Otherwise, the point made above is proven correct, because the perception is that nothing is happening. Even if there really is a lot of effort underway.

Come on HP, how but some daily confidence building exercises?
    Finally got a reply from Richard Kerris just now!

@richardkerris tweets:
    @mpt45 sorry about the silence... was kind of off the grid this week with the kids! - just getting back to it all now.

@richardkerris tweets:
    @mpt45 We expect it to be out soon. Awaiting the official word to provide... but in beta testing it's working well
    kayphoonstar likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by volcom45 View Post
    Finally got a reply from Richard Kerris just now!

@richardkerris tweets:
    @mpt45 sorry about the silence... was kind of off the grid this week with the kids! - just getting back to it all now.

@richardkerris tweets:
    @mpt45 We expect it to be out soon. Awaiting the official word to provide... but in beta testing it's working well
    soon is a 4 letter word when hp uses it.
    Felipe
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast