Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree4Likes
    I've tried HPPlay and it is nice but simple - seems based on the latest Beta of Songbird.

Whilst on the topic of Songbird, I highly suggest people look at using it instead. It works beautifully with the TouchPad if you do the following:

1. Install the latest release (not the Beta) from Songbird - Welcome
    2. Let it install the recommended plugins, but specifically MSC Device Support & QuickTime Playback.
    3. Install the Addon/Extension called "Devise" from Devise - Songbird Add-ons which after installation (access via Tools menu) lets you alter the base folder used on the TouchPad from root to whatever you choose for Music, Photos & Playlists. Just as importantly, it allows you to set the ringtones folder as an exclusion, otherwise it deletes it every sync. It also lets you tune what formats of media files the sync supports.
    4. As a safety precaution, backup/copy your ringtones folder to your computer.
    5. Follow the instructions, then setup auto sync for your music and you're set!

Regards,
    Shane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    anyone know how to manually import/add an album cover. some of mine didn't come with the iTunes import. Maybe a drag and drop. yet to try it as I am not on that PC right now. would like the covers to show up on my TouchPad.

Thanks
    I have the same problem. According to the hpplay help site there is an open bug report filed for the artwork import problem.

Did you have any luck adding the artwork to the touchpad directly? I'm not sure where it would go.
    Found a great support site for HP Play.

Community-powered support for HP Play

the hp devs answer your questions there!

and yes it seems smart playlist syncing is not yet supported.
    It found my Pre- 1.4.5 no problem, however...what's the point? It seems easier for me, maybe just what I'm used to, to just put it in USB mode open my Music folder on my Pre, and open my Music on my PC and find what I want and click/drag it in. Seems to me this essentially does the same thing. I have little experience with iTunes so not super familiar with the whole sync thing, I get it sorta, but is there some other advantage I'm missing? I don't use playlists very much either, kind of on-the-fly guy most of the time.

Kind of off-topic a bit but:
    Is this necessary for the TouchPad? Or does it open up the same way as the Pre?

6 more sleeps
    Last edited by sledge007; 07/10/2011 at 02:11 AM.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Kind of off-topic a bit but:
    Is this necessary for the TouchPad? Or does it open up the same way as the Pre
    It works the same as the Pre - you can use drag and drop.
    Palm IIIx > Palm m505 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Centro > Pre- & Touchpad
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Everybody and their mother is now releasing Cloud Based music streaming platforms....Amazon, Google, soon Apple and we are stuck in the 5-yr ago method of actually transferring files via USB to the Device......what a joke this is..This is Songbird....why are Bet Testing something that is already there..... You would think HP could've started with a Cloud based locker form the get go.....all these resources and NO DIRECTION..(At least none that we consumers are aware of....)..very sad.....I'm a huge WEBOS fan....from Pre- to + to Pre2 to Veer and TP.....but my patience is wearing off.....\
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    Everybody and their mother is now releasing Cloud Based music streaming platforms....Amazon, Google, soon Apple
    Amazon makes you transfer up to the cloud via a cumbersome piece of software

I think Apple will require you also to have the music on your laptop so they can recognize you bought it and so put it in your cloud locker

I don't see how HPPlay is so terribly disadvantaged although I hate this idea of HPPlay working by transferring playlists, I would rather transfer folders like Amazon does.

I like the cloud sharing --ie Grooveshark--so I can see what my friends like in music and they can see what I like.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    It found my Pre- 1.4.5 no problem, however...what's the point? It seems easier for me, maybe just what I'm used to, to just put it in USB mode open my Music folder on my Pre, and open my Music on my PC and find what I want and click/drag it in. Seems to me this essentially does the same thing. I have little experience with iTunes so not super familiar with the whole sync thing, I get it sorta, but is there some other advantage I'm missing? I don't use playlists very much either, kind of on-the-fly guy most of the time.
    for me smart playlists are what HP Play gives me above just dragging and dropping. ie I can have 80s playlists, 90s playlist and have it only play music from that era that I haven't listened to on that device. Or I can flag a keyword for my daughter and have it only copy music she likes to her device etc etc
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I don't see how HPPlay is so terribly disadvantaged although I hate this idea of HPPlay working by transferring playlists, I would rather transfer folders like Amazon does.
    By transferring playlists, you transfer the folder structure as well, don't you?
    What's the differences? Do you mind to elaborate? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanelord View Post
    I've tried HPPlay and it is nice but simple - seems based on the latest Beta of Songbird.

Whilst on the topic of Songbird, I highly suggest people look at using it instead. It works beautifully with the TouchPad if you do the following:

1. Install the latest release (not the Beta) from Songbird - Welcome
    2. Let it install the recommended plugins, but specifically MSC Device Support & QuickTime Playback.
    3. Install the Addon/Extension called "Devise" from Devise - Songbird Add-ons which after installation (access via Tools menu) lets you alter the base folder used on the TouchPad from root to whatever you choose for Music, Photos & Playlists. Just as importantly, it allows you to set the ringtones folder as an exclusion, otherwise it deletes it every sync. It also lets you tune what formats of media files the sync supports.
    4. As a safety precaution, backup/copy your ringtones folder to your computer.
    5. Follow the instructions, then setup auto sync for your music and you're set!

Regards,
    Shane.
    I can only second this. HP PLay beta is unstable and unreliable where the current Songbird works well. As desktop sync apps neither work as well as iTunes (and I don't even like iTunes…).
    Quote Originally Posted by stuarty View Post
    I can only second this. HP PLay beta is unstable and unreliable where the current Songbird works well. As desktop sync apps neither work as well as iTunes (and I don't even like iTunes…).
    I would think that since it is beta it is expected to be a little unreliable and unstable.

I agree that Songbird is a better choice right now, since HPPlay is based on it. Songbird works on Linux which HPPlay doesn't. However, how many folks would even know what Songbird was if it were not for HPPlay? I think HP is doing a good job by using Songbird as the basis of it's player. Hopefully as HPPlay matures it becomes more compatible with mainstream Songbird so we can take advantage of the plugins and feathers.
    I found it easier to copy album folders from my iTunes music folder onto the TP than use HP Play. I'm not going to start using another app to manage my music collection.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234