Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By barkerja
  1.    #1  
    How the HP TouchPad can deal with lack of apps at launch | ZDNet

Thought it was a good article especially for those looking into the Touchpad. If the touchpad can do all the things on the list, the lack of apps won't really hurt them.
    This is written by a guy that just tweeted that he thinks the touchpad will blow android tablets out of the water.
    JK has been a webOS user since Pre -. He gets why webOS is the best mobile OS for tablets as well as phones.
    I honestly don't care about the number of apps as long as the available apps are quality apps. How many farting cows or beer drinking simulation apps do we really need?
    it'll be easy

quality apps people want > number of apps

my wife and I have spent hours scrolling through apps on the ipad I have from work.....you know how many we've downloaded and still use?

the ipad app catalog is to big and full of crap apps to find anything useful.

quality > quantity
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Quote Originally Posted by sapient2k7 View Post
    JK has been a webOS user since Pre -. He gets why webOS is the best mobile OS for tablets as well as phones.
    Why is that?

anywho everything he said can be done and used to say why every other tablet os doesn't need alot of apps. well expect the BB guys (poor *******s)\

Other than games for tablets you may only need about 10-15 core apps and you can take the number down even more depending on the quailty of the native apps.
    I think the areticle hit on most of the key points. The TouchPad will have a native Facebook app, will handle email and web browsing, and will have Angry Birds. Add a native calendar, media player, and ebook reader and the TouchPd will handle about 95% of consumer demands.
    Here's a post everyone should read that explains, in detail, why applications are important:

Counterpoint: 200,000 apps is what they want - (37signals)

It's written by 37Signals which has a predominant presence on the web. Yes, it was written tailored towards the mobile phone, but the same sentiment applies to tablets.

Yesterday David posted Ten apps is all I need. The crux of his argument was that the platform doesn’t matter as long as the basics are spot on.

I have a different take on the topic.

First, here’s where we agree: The basics absolutely matter. If the basics aren’t right then worrying about the other stuff is futile. This is why Apple put years of thoughtful work into getting the basics right. Then they released the iOS and the iPhone. Then, a year later, they turned the iOS into a platform for third party developers. And today that platform is available on tens of millions of iPhones, iPod Touches, and iPads. Apple got their priorities straight.

Now, here’s where we disagree: This isn’t about need, it’s about want. The iOS platform cooks up a hot tasty plate of want. That makes it smart for Apple, lucrative for developers, satisfying for existing customers, and lustful for potential customers.
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    The following can influence purchase

Apps: quality and quantity

Also:
    flash
    multitasking
    open platform
    resizable keyboard
    decent set of speakers
    ability to take calls on TouchPad
    music synergy
    People still read ZDNet?
    As a marketing tool, it IS important (the number of applications) - it just adds to the potential of the device in any consumer's eyes, regardless of whether they actually do purchase/download any.

Windows has so many applications a user can uy and download, but, truthfully, most people run 20, tops... the available choice is the issue for the consumer.

HP is starting the TP with 300 TP specific apps - that's a pretty good start, so far. I am sure that if the TP has even a moderate successul adaption, those apps will climb in numbers quickly, mostly because with Enyo, you get to write/code once, and it will go on all WebOS products seamlessly.. big bang for the developing cost buck, and they know HP is not in this for the short haul...

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Simple: where is the Office Edit option?

Have to begin in somewhere, and I missing this...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Does anyone know anything about Myriad's Alien Dalvik? It allows Android apps to run on other devices, but I haven't heard about it being developed for WebOS. Anyone else?
    See: Myriad Alien Dalvik
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Here's a post everyone should read that explains, in detail, why applications are important:

Counterpoint: 200,000 apps is what they want - (37signals)

It's written by 37Signals which has a predominant presence on the web. Yes, it was written tailored towards the mobile phone, but the same sentiment applies to tablets.
    i'm gonna agree. i don't need a smartphone in general. And the big issue is my essential apps are not what most peoples are. I don't need pandora, netflix or twitter stuff like that. You can say you only need x number but its rarely going to be exactly what the next guy wants. And there that word is again. It's about what people want not what they need.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    i'm gonna agree. i don't need a smartphone in general. And the big issue is my essential apps are not what most peoples are. I don't need pandora, netflix or twitter stuff like that. You can say you only need x number but its rarely going to be exactly what the next guy wants. And there that word is again. It's about what people want not what they need.
    I partially agree. For some people, its ALL about app lust (or tech lust). I have lots of friends who only use apps on their Android phones when they show what they have to other Android users. Any new platform will never get those users. Similar to those who live for the newest, slimmest or fastest - they will go elsewhere.

But there are enough other people, who if they have the basics covered, will be happy if the other factors influencing purchase are to their liking (price, user experience, etc.). A business user need basic business productivity. A gamer need a few types of big name apps, a reader needs Kindle or some other type of book reader.

If it were ONLY about apps, there would never have been an Android wave. HP has the right idea - if or not they will execute is a different discussion. Build a solid enterprise capable device and a passable consumer device and build from there. "Passable" because there is no way they will pass Apple from startup on the consumer side - if it is done, it will take years.
    (Funny that people act as though they were going to do this with their first device on launch day)

It won't be for everyone, but it doesn't need to be. In my opinion, HP has the user experience in a good place for success, the need to work on the perception of value compared to the market. (But that is another post: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...value-gap.html )

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )