Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 44
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    thanks for the compilation, how long did it take you to compile?
    about 2 minutes because there are so many to choose from.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    about 2 minutes because there are so many to choose from.
    and your point is?
  3. #23  
    my point is obvious
  4.    #24  
    not to me, but maybe that's because I'm not as smart as you
  5. #25  
    Pretty sure he's saying if you're going to leave webOS development, then stop talking about it and leave. Or, stick around, but stop crying wolf every few weeks.

    That about cover it?
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Pretty sure he's saying if you're going to leave webOS development, then stop talking about it and leave. Or, stick around, but stop crying wolf every few weeks.

    That about cover it?
    well if that's what he meant, I think he should sit in my seat and spend hours dayss and months making free apps for the sake of the community only to be treated like a piece of dirt by the users and by Palm.

    but I hope that's not what he/she meant. If it is then I think an apolgy is in order.
  7. #27  
    I think we appreciate your dedication to the app development, I know I do. Just don't leave and we'll appreciate it.
  8. #28  
    It's called LSMT

    Last Straw Multi-Tasking
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    thanks for the compilation, how long did it take you to compile?
    If that's your only response, I think you missed his point.
  10. #30  
    OK guys... lets move off this subject and back on to the point of the thread - # of apps at launch. Thanks

  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    OK guys... lets move off this subject and back on to the point of the thread - # of apps at launch. Thanks
    OK, back on topic.

    I think 3k+ apps at launch, 300 of which are specifically written to take advantage of the TouchPad, is decent number for a new device. I think "very few apps" is a bit misleading.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    OK, back on topic.

    I think 3k+ apps at launch, 300 of which are specifically written to take advantage of the TouchPad, is decent number for a new device. I think "very few apps" is a bit misleading.
    I expected less than 3000 apps, I wonder if the german blog post was written before or after the review team did their "reviews"

    and remember there where rumors of 15000 apps... I was trying to lower expectations.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I expected less than 3000 apps, I wonder if the german blog post was written before or after the review team did their "reviews"

    and remember there where rumors of 15000 apps... I was trying to lower expectations.
    I'm confused then. If you expected less than 3000, and there are more than you expected, why is that "very few"?
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I expected less than 3000 apps, I wonder if the german blog post was written before or after the review team did their "reviews"
    I wondered the same thing, but they seem to be quoting one of their members who was hands-on with a live device. Even Tom Bradley said that 300 TP specific apps at launch (more than Honeycomb launched with)... pretty decent number if they aren't a comprised of junk 'book' titles.

    I'm no dev, but I would think that the platform would be enticing for those who do develop because getting in early on this would make a small developer a big fish in a small but quickly growing pond IMHO.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm confused then. If you expected less than 3000, and there are more than you expected, why is that "very few"?
    I expected less then 3000 AFTER the review teams deductions, ORIGINALLY I would have expected many more.

    in other words if the 3000 is after deduction by the review team then thats OK but I'm sure we will here many complaints, if the 3000 number was before the deductions and the real number is even lower we are in real trouble.

    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I want to be sure I understand, you continued to develop new Mojo based apps, after Enyo was announced?
    As far as showing appreciation, I think if you're totally honest, you'd see the problem with the reasoning.
    If what you did was for the 1.4.5 users, posting this (which is only of interest to TouchPad owners, which is WebOS 3.0) isn't going to get you any appreciation from the target audience.
    1.)I updated mojo apps after enyo was announced.
    2.)again above my head can you elaborate
    3.)the work i did on my applications was for 1.4.5 users, this post was to lower expectations for all TouchPad buyers.

    I hope that helps.
    Last edited by abegee; 06/29/2011 at 12:52 AM.
  16. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #36  
    It's possible that it failed some negative testing, it was functionally tested but not performance tested, there was a difference between testing it in the emulator and on an actual device, or it interfered with other software not in the developers test environment. Maybe the suggestion to rewrite in Enyo was to help eliminate whatever defect they found. Regardless it's not really up to the app submission team to file bug reports for every developer submitting an app. Either the developer takes on the responsibility of digging deeper or finds a mechanism for QA testing their product before submission.

    It's well within HP/Palm's rights to suggest moving to the updated framework. Technically they can refuse an app for any reason. I find it unlikely though that they're just going to dump on a bunch of apps because they're mojo apps. Especially right at the exact moment when the number of apps is something everyone seems intensely focused on.

    I find it more likely that during testing something went wrong and they deemed it catastrophic enough to not want the update in the official catalog. The great thing is that if a developer thinks that HP/Palm is wrong then they can go the homebrew route or host it from their own site.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    It's possible that it failed some negative testing, it was functionally tested but not performance tested, there was a difference between testing it in the emulator and on an actual device, or it interfered with other software not in the developers test environment. Maybe the suggestion to rewrite in Enyo was to help eliminate whatever defect they found. Regardless it's not really up to the app submission team to file bug reports for every developer submitting an app. Either the developer takes on the responsibility of digging deeper or finds a mechanism for QA testing their product before submission.

    It's well within HP/Palm's rights to suggest moving to the updated framework. Technically they can refuse an app for any reason. I find it unlikely though that they're just going to dump on a bunch of apps because they're mojo apps. Especially right at the exact moment when the number of apps is something everyone seems intensely focused on.

    I find it more likely that during testing something went wrong and they deemed it catastrophic enough to not want the update in the official catalog. The great thing is that if a developer thinks that HP/Palm is wrong then they can go the homebrew route or host it from their own site.
    generally when an app is reviewed and is found to have issues the developer recieves and email stating the name of the app, and the issue, this helps the devloper fix the problem, in this case palm sent out mass emails with no app name, and no reason for the rejection, they did make a list of issues that MAY be the cause but the list wasnt specific to the application or the devloper. in short it seems as if someone wrote up an email and sent a memo to the review team telling them " send this to the devs because we cant be bothered to support mojo apps " which isn't the decent thing to do, since the dev can't fix the issue. or as a deifferent dev put it "Just a vague email listing all the possible reasons an app could hypothetically fail does absoluately no good as a developer"

    besides the fact that they should have done this weeks ago and not 2 days before the launch.
  18. #38  
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    <snip>...this post was to lower expectations for all TouchPad buyers.

    I hope that helps.
    Ah yes... lowering expectations for a group that has been looking for something exciting for a while now certainly helps a lot. I'm sure we should all thank you now.
  20. nhavar's Avatar
    Posts
    285 Posts
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    generally when an app is reviewed and is found to have issues the developer recieves and email stating the name of the app, and the issue, this helps the devloper fix the problem, in this case palm sent out mass emails with no app name, and no reason for the rejection, they did make a list of issues that MAY be the cause but the list wasnt specific to the application or the devloper. in short it seems as if someone wrote up an email and sent a memo to the review team telling them " send this to the devs because we cant be bothered to support mojo apps " which isn't the decent thing to do, since the dev can't fix the issue. or as a deifferent dev put it "Just a vague email listing all the possible reasons an app could hypothetically fail does absoluately no good as a developer"

    besides the fact that they should have done this weeks ago and not 2 days before the launch.
    Okay, so you got an e-mail that seemed to be boiler plate pointing out some general issues that the HP team is aware of that might cause Mojo apps to fail when run under webOS 3.0 on the TouchPad. None of your apps were specifically mentioned in the e-mail, but coinciding with that e-mail 6 out of 8 of your submissions were rejected by the review team.

    What was different about the 2 apps that were accepted versus the 6 that were not. Was it 2 Enyo apps versus 6 Mojo apps? Did any of the apps that were failed fall into any of the scenarios that HP outlined in it's boiler plate warning?

    I'm feeling like you're not giving anyone enough specific information to either enable them to help you OR to be able to empathize with your situation. If you're just wanting to vent. Then say "I just want to vent" and we'll all vent with you and feel better. However, I think a lot of people here value each and every developer and want more than anything to help you find solutions if we can, while at the same time trying to maintain a positive outlook.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions