Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  

The Netflix WebOS apps have been acting up lately, in part, because Netflix is planning on no longer allowing customers access to their Netflix Disc Queue List, when accessed through third-party Netflix apps. But you can call Netflix and ask them politely to not keep us loyal customers from using this important feature. A feature that is found in most, if not all, of the third-party Netflix apps available to us today. Tell them that being able to access our Disc Queue through an easy to use app on our mobile phone, is by far the easiest way for us to modify our Disc Queue List. A list that lets Netflix know what DVD or Blu-ray Movies and TV Shows that we want to have sent to us next.
    Now I have already had notes added to my Netflix account and have had a message forwarded to the Netflix higher ups, in regards to this issue. So I thought I would post this and see if anyone else would also like to add a voice to this cause. So if you like being able to access and change your Movies & TV Show Disc Queue listings through third-party WebOS apps like MyQ and QuickQueue, then please call Netflix at 1-866-716-0414 -
    http://www.netflix.com/ContactUs - and ask them to reconsider their stance on not allowing software developers the ability to offer Netflix customers access to their Disc Queue's, through third-party Netflix apps.

Also, since this change is something that is set to effect all third-party Netflix apps, you might want to contact your friends and family members who use other types of mobile phones and Tablets like BlackBerry's, Android's, iPhone's, iPads, ect, and have them contact Netflix about the third-party Netflix apps that they use on their devices. Since they will also be effected by this new change in service.

Last edited by the2ndflood; 06/28/2011 at 12:11 AM.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

this is sad esp since browser on webOS sucks esp on netflix site. Takes forever to load or search. Combine this w no netflix streaming app.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    this is sad esp since browser on webOS sucks esp on netflix site. Takes forever to load or search. Combine this w no netflix streaming app.
    I agree. Using the Netflix mobile site is a pain in the ****. That is why it is nice being able to access your Netflix Queues using apps instead. I'm not sure why we don't have any Netflix apps that allow for streaming, since other MobileOS's have the ability. Maybe we will get a streaming app someday.

Yeah, I read this last week. It's kind of the last nail in the Netflix coffin for me, tbh. I've already exported by queues and I haven't taken my membership off hold from waiting on a new credit card to arrive. I'm tired of paying ($3 more since January!) to put up with their BS regarding them trying to phase out DVDs even though we're the ones paying more! I don't care how much more we supposedly cost! They spent millions getting Lost and those crappy Disney shows on Netflix, acquiring streaming content is not cheap! Never mind that some companies (such as Showtime and Criterion) have had it with Netflix and are removing some of their streaming content. Seriously, they increased my plan $3 and now they're taking away features? How in the world is it so hard to manage a DVD queue through third party apps and yet increase your international scale (the scapegoat for the change). If they really want to focus on international streaming, they should focus on adding the ability to pick your streaming audio instead of having to suffer through a crappy dub. And then they have the nerve to talk about going forward making excellent Netflix apps? Excellent Netflix apps that do WHAT? What's the point of managing your streaming queue from anything but an official Netflix app since only an official Netflix app will actually stream the titles? MyQ on the other hand is great for managing your DVD queue and finding movies fast. Managing your DVD queue on the website (soon to be the only place you can manage your DVD queue) is buggy as hell! The changes are set to go into effect October 14 and it's pretty clear that come the end of the year, Netflix as it has been for people who get DVDs is finished and all the streaming-only people can expect a price hike. I already called (at 3 in the morning) a few days and complained for like 30mins...Netflix was such a great service, but I can see the coming of the end of its usefulness for me.
    Last edited by malpha; 06/28/2011 at 12:19 AM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN • Twitter • Last.FM
    Take a look at all the features they are removing from the API. What is the point of a third-party Netflix app after this? They may as well kill off the entire open API.

/users/user_ID/queues/disc
    /users/user_ID/queues/disc/available
    /users/user_ID/queues/disc/available/entry_ID
    /users/user_ID/queues/disc/saved
    /users/user_ID/queues/disc/saved/entry_ID
    users/user_ID/at_home
    users/user_ID/rental_history/shipped
    users/user_ID/rental_history/returned
    catalog/titles/discs/disc_ID
    /categories/title_formats
    /categories/award_types
    /categories/screen_formats
    /categories/rental_states
    /categories/title_video_formats
    /categories/languages
    /categories/subtitle_languages
    /categories/audio
    /categories/genres
    /categories/queue_availability
    /categories/title_states
    /categories/mpaa_ratings
    /categories/tv_ratings
    /categories/ca_movie_ratings
    /categories/container_formats
    /categories/video_formats
    /categories/audio_formats
    screwdestiny
    PSN • Twitter • Last.FM
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Yeah, I read this last week. It's kind of the last nail in the Netflix coffin for me, tbh. I've already exported by queues and I haven't taken my membership off hold from waiting on a new credit card to arrive. I'm tired of paying ($3 more since January!) to put up with their BS regarding them trying to phase out DVDs even though we're the ones paying more! I don't care how much more we supposedly cost! They spent millions getting Lost and those crappy Disney shows on Netflix, acquiring streaming content is not cheap! Never mind that some companies (such as Showtime and Criterion) have had it with Netflix and are removing some of their streaming content. Seriously, they increased my plan $3 and now they're taking away features? How in the world is it so hard to manage a DVD queue through third party apps and yet increase your international scale (the scapegoat for the change). If they really want to focus on international streaming, they should focus on adding the ability to pick your streaming audio instead of having to suffer through a crappy dub. And then they have the nerve to talk about going forward making excellent Netflix apps? Excellent Netflix apps that do WHAT? What's the point of managing your streaming queue from anything but an official Netflix app since only an official Netflix app will actually stream the titles? MyQ on the other hand is great for managing your DVD queue and finding movies fast. Managing your DVD queue on the website (soon to be the only place you can manage your DVD queue) is buggy as hell! The changes are set to go into effect October 14 and it's pretty clear that come the end of the year, Netflix as it has been for people who get DVDs is finished and all the streaming-only people can expect a price hike. I already called (at 3 in the morning) a few days and complained for like 30mins...Netflix was such a great service, but I can see the coming of the end of its usefulness for me.
    I really hope Netflix doesn't put through yet another price hike. I am already paying $16.28 for 2 DVD's rentals at a time and unlimited net streaming. Netflix already rasied my bill by I think it was a dollar or two not that long ago. I like Netflix a lot, but another price hike would make me look towards BlockBusters rental and streaming service. My Western Digital HD tuner can stream BlockBuster's streaming media, so I wouldn't need to get a new tuner.

I also don't understand why Netflix would even feel the need to do this to their customers. What is so wrong with allowing us Disc Queue access through third-party apps? We as WebOS users only get access to 3 Netflix apps, and all of them are third-party. So why would Netflix punish the developers and us, just so they can have more control over the Disc Queues? You are right though, changing Disc Queues online is annoying as hell! The apps make it easier to do. I'm not completely sure what Netflix is thinking about doing next, but I hope they don't ruin a great thing.

7.    #7  
    Take a look at all the features they are removing from the API. What is the point of a third-party Netflix app after this? They may as well kill off the entire open API.

/users/user_ID/queues/disc
    /users/user_ID/queues/disc/available
    /users/user_ID/queues/disc/available/entry_ID
    /users/user_ID/queues/disc/saved
    /users/user_ID/queues/disc/saved/entry_ID
    users/user_ID/at_home
    users/user_ID/rental_history/shipped
    users/user_ID/rental_history/returned
    catalog/titles/discs/disc_ID
    /categories/award_types
    /categories/screen_formats
    /categories/rental_states
    /categories/title_video_formats
    /categories/languages
    /categories/subtitle_languages
    /categories/audio
    /categories/genres
    /categories/queue_availability
    /categories/title_states
    /categories/mpaa_ratings
    /categories/tv_ratings
    /categories/ca_movie_ratings
    /categories/container_formats
    /categories/video_formats
    /categories/audio_formats
    What does this all mean? What other features are going to be removed?

They are removing it so the can expand internationally with streaming. Its gonna take a lot of pushing if their international plans rely on these removals.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    They are removing it so the can expand internationally with streaming. Its gonna take a lot of pushing if their international plans rely on these removals.

But how does limiting Disc Queue access for third-party developers help Netflix reach out internationally? Is Netflix also going to remove the Instant Queue access as well? Then the apps would be totally useless. I still don't understand why Netflix is doing this. I don't understand how limiting Disc Queue access will help them expand their service around the world. Can anyone explain this one?

Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    How would 3rd party disc queue apps interfere with international plans?
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    I really hope Netflix doesn't put through yet another price hike. I am already paying $16.28 for 2 DVD's rentals at a time and unlimited net streaming. Netflix already rasied my bill by I think it was a dollar or two not that long ago. I like Netflix a lot, but another price hike would make me look towards BlockBusters rental and streaming service. My Western Digital HD tuner can stream BlockBuster's streaming media, so I wouldn't need to get a new tuner.

I also don't understand why Netflix would even feel the need to do this to their customers. What is so wrong with allowing us Disc Queue access through third-party apps? We as WebOS users only get access to 3 Netflix apps, and all of them are third-party. So why would Netflix punish the developers and us, just so they can have more control over the Disc Queues? You are right though, changing Disc Queues online is annoying as hell! The apps make it easier to do. I'm not completely sure what Netflix is thinking about doing next, but I hope they don't ruin a great thing.
    Netflix is trying to get rid of DVD customers, or more accurately, convert them to mostly streaming-only customers. My guess - PURE SPECULATION - is that what will happen is that Netflix will convert to a streaming-only service and getting DVDs will be an additional charge - almost like what they do now, except the twist being that instead of getting an "unlimited" number of DVDs with a certain amount out each time, you will be able to check out a limited number of DVDs per month.

The removal of DVD features is not solely limited to third party developers. Rather, it is Netflix bringing third-party developers in line with Netflix's current mode of operations - that is, the hampering of DVD features until they've all but destroyed the benefits of getting DVDs. Netflix's official apps do not offer the ability to manage your DVD queue and the ability to add movies that weren't available for streaming to your DVD queue from their PS3/360/Wii apps was removed a couple of months ago.

Does anyone REALLY think managing a streaming queue is that different from managing a DVD queue (keeping in mind of course that streaming queues can change at a moment's notice when the title disappears from streaming). The only halfway legitimate way it interferes is if Netflix cannot come up with the resources to manage its US-only DVD operations while expanding its international streaming-only plans. But that seems like a fault that should be corrected instead of screwing over your DVD customers. However, there's really little point in entertaining that notion since Netflix has all but made official its abandonment of DVD and its desire to have everyone on a streaming-only plan and these are just the seemingly innocent first steps.
    screwdestiny
    PSN • Twitter • Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by the2ndflood View Post
    What does this all mean? What other features are going to be removed?
    Netflix is removing the ability to:

1) look at your DVD queue
    2) see which DVD's are being sent to you/at home
    3) check out your rental history
    4) browse the DVDs that are in the catalog - only streaming results will be returned.
    5) view Netflix categories and genres
    screwdestiny
    PSN • Twitter • Last.FM
  13.    #13  
    Netflix is trying to get rid of DVD customers, or more accurately, convert them to mostly streaming-only customers. My guess - PURE SPECULATION - is that what will happen is that Netflix will convert to a streaming-only service and getting DVDs will be an additional charge - almost like what they do now, except the twist being that instead of getting an "unlimited" number of DVDs with a certain amount out each time, you will be able to check out a limited number of DVDs per month.

The removal of DVD features is not solely limited to third party developers. Rather, it is Netflix bringing third-party developers in line with Netflix's current mode of operations - that is, the hampering of DVD features until they've all but destroyed the benefits of getting DVDs. Netflix's official apps do not offer the ability to manage your DVD queue and the ability to add movies that weren't available for streaming to your DVD queue from their PS3/360/Wii apps was removed a couple of months ago.

Does anyone REALLY think managing a streaming queue is that different from managing a DVD queue (keeping in mind of course that streaming queues can change at a moment's notice when the title disappears from streaming). The only halfway legitimate way it interferes is if Netflix cannot come up with the resources to manage its US-only DVD operations while expanding its international streaming-only plans. But that seems like a fault that should be corrected instead of screwing over your DVD customers. However, there's really little point in entertaining that notion since Netflix has all but made official its abandonment of DVD and its desire to have everyone on a streaming-only plan and these are just the seemingly innocent first steps.
    You make a lot of great points. I really hope that you are wrong about Netflix charging more for DVD's and Blu-ray rentals, while at the same time limiting the amount of DVD's and Blu-ray discs that people can rent overall. Netflix may be trying to push customers onto a streaming-only plan because it's cheaper for Netflix. There is no mailing needed for streaming. But wouldn't that hurt Netflix? Netflix may not need to keep offering DVD rentals (Which I think Netflix should keep offering them, because a lot of people, including myself, like watching DVD's and Bli-rays for their bonus content.) Which as of now, you can't watch bonus DVD or Bluray content through Netflix's streaming service. Also, what about Blu-ray discs? The resolution of Blu-ray discs are much better then the standard HD that you get when you stream Netflix content. So even if Netflix does get rid of DVD's, they can't drop Blu-rays, because Blu-rays offer a higher resolution then that of Netflix's streaming. Not to mention that Blu-rays have even more bonus content that can only be seen by watching the Blu-ray discs themselves.

I don't know what Netflix has in mind when they look at the future of their company, but they shouldn't ditch DVD's or Blu-rays. They should instead continue offering movies 3 ways.
    Last edited by the2ndflood; 06/28/2011 at 12:03 PM.

14.    #14  
    Netflix is removing the ability to:

1) look at your DVD queue
    2) see which DVD's are being sent to you/at home
    3) check out your rental history
    4) browse the DVDs that are in the catalog - only streaming results will be returned.
    5) view Netflix categories and genres

Wow, Netflix is really trying to ruin third-party Netflix apps. This list of things that are going to be banned in apps is stunning. I didn't know that Netflix would go so far out of their way to limit what third-party Netflix apps can and can not do. But I still don't understand what this has to do with Netflix's international video streaming intentions. Unless Netflix is truly trying to kill off DVD's and Blu-rays. Man this is such a bummer.....

Back in the day, when I was working on NetflixMC, I kept an eye on Bill Scott Looks Good Works Well He currently is Director of ECommerce UI Engineering. His Netflix email is listed on his blog. You might be able to grab his ear.
    Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the OpenAPI is just changing. It doesn't say directly that a replacement for DVD management will come about, but it also doesn't say it won't. It talks about clearing the path for new features.

The Netflix Tech Blog: Upcoming Changes to the Open API Program
    Upcoming Changes to the Open API Program
    This is Daniel Jacobson, director of engineering, with a message to everyone in the Netflix Open API community.

We’re making some changes to the Open API program to support the Netflix focus on international streaming. Later this year, we will discontinue support for DVD-related features, degrading them through redirects or other means gracefully whenever possible. These changes will only affect the Open APIs, so your DVDs will continue to ship!

This change clears the path for us to add new features to the API to support international catalogs and languages. Eventually, we plan to expand our public developer community to other regions, allowing developers from around the world to build even more amazing apps and sites powered by the Netflix API.

During this transition, we will continue to work with our developer community to make the change as smooth as possible.
    Posted by Daniel Jacobson at 12:55 PM
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gobanjoboy View Post
    Back in the day, when I was working on NetflixMC, I kept an eye on Bill Scott - Good Works Well - He currently is Director of ECommerce UI Engineering. His Netflix email is listed on his blog. You might be able to grab his ear.
    I sent the guy an email with some questions that I hope he can answer.

Thanks for posting the link gobanjoboy! I will post whatever info I get, on this forum thread.

18.    #18  
    Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the OpenAPI is just changing. It doesn't say directly that a replacement for DVD management will come about, but it also doesn't say it won't. It talks about clearing the path for new features.

[url= Netflix Tech Blog: Upcoming Changes to the Open API Program[/url]
    Upcoming Changes to the Open API Program
    This is Daniel Jacobson, director of engineering, with a message to everyone in the Netflix Open API community.

We’re making some changes to the Open API program to support the Netflix focus on international streaming. Later this year, we will discontinue support for DVD-related features, degrading them through redirects or other means gracefully whenever possible. These changes will only affect the Open APIs, so your DVDs will continue to ship!

This change clears the path for us to add new features to the API to support international catalogs and languages. Eventually, we plan to expand our public developer community to other regions, allowing developers from around the world to build even more amazing apps and sites powered by the Netflix API.

During this transition, we will continue to work with our developer community to make the change as smooth as possible.
    Posted by Daniel Jacobson at 12:55 PM
    From the wording of that letter, it does sound like Netflix is looking to dump DVD's in the future, or did I misread it? The article still doesn't explain in much detail at all, why it is necessary to cripple third-party Netflix apps, just so Netflix can offer international streaming content.

From the more detailed post aimed at developers:

http://developer.netflix.com/blog/read/Upcoming_Changes_to_the_Open_API_Program

[I]
    As of Oct. 14th, 2011, the Netflix API will be focused exclusively on offering content and functionality from the streaming catalog. As a result, we will be discontinuing the support of DVD-related features in the Open API. These changes are in an effort to better position the Netflix API towards the company
    screwdestiny
    PSN • Twitter • Last.FM
    As sad as this is, this doesn't keep people from using the same REST source as does netflix.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast