Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    So when I get my TouchPad on July 1 will I be able to get all the apps I have already purchased on my Pre+ onto my TouchPad? I am hoping that if I log into my palm profile with my TouchPad it will load all of my registered apps. Does anyone know how this will work?
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    great question, I am wondering about the same thing from my pre-.

I'm sure there will be updated versions of a lot of the games (angry birds), but if they make me pay to download them again I will be angry.

I may actually wait until I hear about this before purchasing the TP as this concern combined with the lack of document editing are big hurdles for me right now.
    i think that will be upto the developer if the app will run on the TP.

I guess most will opt into to this, but when it comes to updating the apps to the TP, they will go the "HD" route and ask you to pay for it again.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevieq View Post
    great question, I am wondering about the same thing from my pre-.

I'm sure there will be updated versions of a lot of the games (angry birds), but if they make me pay to download them again I will be angry.

I may actually wait until I hear about this before purchasing the TP as this concern combined with the lack of document editing are big hurdles for me right now.
    Couple things, everything should load on to the TP. We don't know exactly if there will be any changes to your palm profile yet.

Games like Angry Birds are going to have "HD" versions that you will have to buy if you want them, but your previous version of Angry Birds will play on the TP (IIRC PDK games will play fullscreen, can't remember exactly what I read about PDK stuff).

The only apps you would have to "rebuy" would be ones that have been given a new app id by the developer.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Do we know for sure that existing Palm Profiles will transfer over to the TouchPad? And if so, will 1.x and 2.x phones still be able to use the same profile? I'm pretty sure they said that 3.x profiles will allow multiple devices per profile, but do those 3.x profiles work on 1.x and 2.x devices?

If a new profile needs to be created for the TouchPad, then regardless of whether the developers rename their app ids, the apps will need to be re-purchased.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

Twitter: @Hedami
    2.2+ should be able to share profiles without a problem since 2.2 is what will enable TTS on phones and to use TTS you have to have both devices on the same profile.

Still waiting to see how 1.x does with profile sharing.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    2.2+ should be able to share profiles without a problem since 2.2 is what will enable TTS on phones and to use TTS you have to have both devices on the same profile.

Still waiting to see how 1.x does with profile sharing.

Assuming that's true, then all current phones will not be able to share a profile with the TouchPad since nothing is currently running 2.2. That would mean that people would have to create a new profile for either the TouchPad or their phone.
    Quick Post: The quick way to post messages and photos to Twitter & Facebook (video link)
    Music Player (Remix): The next generation music listening experience on webOS (video link)
    GeoStrings: Set location-based reminders and never forget another task (video link)

We don't know that for certain, all I am saying is we know specifically that 2.2 will allow it. I am of the thinking that this is something that can be handles server side with all these changes they've been making (international app cat for example).

My personal thought is that 1.x devices should be fine (unless they get dr'd). Once again this is an assumption and really depends on how they have implemented things for the TP and for profile sharing. Since the TP is the device that will have to adapt (since it will accept both phone apps and tp specific apps).

You get all your apps, not need to repay for them.

The ones that are not optimised for the TouchPad are really small in the middle of the screen though. Like the iPhone only apps on the iPad, except that you don't have the hability to extend it.

I've had the Touchpad for a couple of days, and basically, you just stop using those apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    Do we know for sure that existing Palm Profiles will transfer over to the TouchPad? And if so, will 1.x and 2.x phones still be able to use the same profile? I'm pretty sure they said that 3.x profiles will allow multiple devices per profile, but do those 3.x profiles work on 1.x and 2.x devices?

If a new profile needs to be created for the TouchPad, then regardless of whether the developers rename their app ids, the apps will need to be re-purchased.
    Any existing profiles can be used on the upcoming Touchpad.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    waiting till the 5th and verify that pre- profiles carry over before purchase...
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Any existing profiles can be used on the upcoming Touchpad.
    Yes, but if you use an existing profile on the TouchPad, can you continue to use the same profile simultaneously on a 1.x or 2.x phone?

If the answer's yes, is there any limit on the number of devices you can use the same profile on?

Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    I am the developer of Paper basketball Plus and went the "One ipk for all devices" route.

Meaning, that if you buy Paper Basketball Plus then it will work on pixi / veer / pre / pre+ / pre2 / touchpad with only 1 purchase AND will choose different art resolutions dynamically. So, if you are on the pre, it chooses one set of art and removes the back button but if you load it on the touchpad then it uses HD art (not just scaled up stuff), adds a back button, and shows full screen.

Most people have told me that I'm stupid for doing that cause then I lose out on charging 4 bucks instead of 1.99 for the HD version and getting people to buy it twice. But I know when I buy apps I'd want them to work on everything so I'm trying it this way.

http://bit.ly/moZYOq if you want to check it out.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    waiting till the 5th and verify that pre- profiles carry over before purchase...
    You don't need to wait, it's already verified. Check the front page regarding the TouchPad unboxing. Your existing profile will work fine regardless of version.

From the comments:
    Here are all the things that are written on www.webos-blog.de :

- He won it during the Pre-Test-Contest and it's a Pre-Final Hardware
    - Taking over calls from his Pre Classic with webOS 2.1 worked fine, messaging didn't
    - He could easily connect to his Palm-Profile without any hassle. All Apps, including the paid-apps loaded to the Tablet.
    - A restart took him 1 min 30 seconds
    - The Touchpad Facebook-App already works and works much better than the normal Facebook-site
    - The App-Catalog for the Touchpad NOW has 3236 Apps (Probably will have some more until the launch)
    - Skype works fantastic, including chat and video calling
    - Flash works very good and was tested on several Video- Audio- Flash-Sites
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    Most people have told me that I'm stupid for doing that cause then I lose out on charging 4 bucks instead of 1.99 for the HD version and getting people to buy it twice. But I know when I buy apps I'd want them to work on everything so I'm trying it this way.

http://bit.ly/moZYOq if you want to check it out.
    Right on!
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    i am the developer of paper basketball plus and went the "one ipk for all devices" route.

Meaning, that if you buy paper basketball plus then it will work on pixi / veer / pre / pre+ / pre2 / touchpad with only 1 purchase and will choose different art resolutions dynamically. So, if you are on the pre, it chooses one set of art and removes the back button but if you load it on the touchpad then it uses hd art (not just scaled up stuff), adds a back button, and shows full screen.

Most people have told me that i'm stupid for doing that cause then i lose out on charging 4 bucks instead of 1.99 for the hd version and getting people to buy it twice. But i know when i buy apps i'd want them to work on everything so i'm trying it this way.

http://bit.ly/mozyoq if you want to check it out.
    awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by effetk View Post
    You get all your apps, not need to repay for them.

The ones that are not optimised for the TouchPad are really small in the middle of the screen though. Like the iPhone only apps on the iPad, except that you don't have the hability to extend it.

I've had the Touchpad for a couple of days, and basically, you just stop using those apps.
    I don't think that you have to stop using the 'legacy' apps. They will appear in the middle of the screen in a Pre like emulator is my understanding. So, as long as you don't mind using the legacy app in a 320x480 window then you continue to use it, if the app hasn't been updated. If the app has been updated then it all depends upon the developer and if he/she has decided to create a new WebOS 3 app or has combined it into a Mojo/Enyo app. A new app will basically mean having to repay for the app, combining will mean NOT having to repay.

That's my understanding.
    Simple answer is YES, as long as you logon with your current profile credentials. Remember the only software that PALM/HP didn't want you to logon with your current credentials was the beta software as it gave your profile a 999999 status.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]