Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Has anybody come up with a definitive answer as to how to get Navit to connect to the GPS data on the Pre2?

I can pull up Google Maps and verify that it is picking up a GPS signal correctly. However, Navit always displays zero longitude/latitude instead of picking up the location based on GPS.

Getting ready to take my youth group cross country (lots of non-data zones) and would love to use Navit. Thanks!
    Try a reinstall as it works every time on my Pre 2.
    Btw, I now use NDrive which is perfect.
    Neither Navit nor Ndrive work on webOS 2.1 if you happen to live or want to travel between the Greenwich Meridian and one degree west which includes in the UK West Sussex, Surrey, Berkshire, Middlesex and all of London west of Greenwich, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire and parts of South Yorkshire as well as Humberside and North Yorkshire. This strip extends down through western France and parts of Spain too (Valencia).
    HP need to release a fix for this soon - they've been aware of it for several months.
    Amohazab likes this.
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    Thanks I'll try a fresh re-install...just traveling from Missouri to Glorieta, New Mexico. I love the idea of being able to have the offline maps.

So, nDrive WON'T work on webOS 2.1?
    Not between 0 and -1 degree, but the rest of the world is OK, 359 degrees ;-)
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    well, I took it out for a drive today and all of the sudden it started to work for me! I guess maybe my GPS signal was not strong enough for Navit (but strong enough for Google?). I'm not sure. But it is working now. Now I just have to figure out how to find locations with it...
    Quote Originally Posted by mapenn View Post
    Has anybody come up with a definitive answer as to how to get Navit to connect to the GPS data on the Pre2?

I can pull up Google Maps and verify that it is picking up a GPS signal correctly. However, Navit always displays zero longitude/latitude instead of picking up the location based on GPS.

Getting ready to take my youth group cross country (lots of non-data zones) and would love to use Navit. Thanks!
    I have searched the web quite a lot and whilst there are references to the "-1/1 degree West of Greenwich" bug mentioned by users (by various names and references), I have not seen any acknowledgement by Palm nor any planned resolution. The best I have seen is from NDrive support saying there is a timing issue with the Palm(WebOS) system software and expected to be resolved within two weeks (that was mid-June).

Navit did work well on my Pre-, but neither Ndrive nor Navit work on my Pre2 on 2.1.0. They both show me to be the other side of London despite having full GPS signal at times. I can understand a software bug can affect the location fix provided by the GPS APIs, but I do not understand why Google maps is exceedingly quick and accurate at the same time, even where there is no WiFi signal to use Google location services. Surely whatever Google maps use should be available both to Navit and NDrive.

What is worse is that WebOs 1.4.5 did not have this bug, so it is just plain bizarre that OS2.1.0 has such a weird bug introduced into it, and even more bizarre is that HP/Palm is not acknowledging it nor fixing it given that one of the most populated parts of Europe (South East UK) as well as large chunks of France and Spain - being key European markets for Palm are affected by it.

No intention to rant here by the way(!). But has anyone who is aware of this bug found a working solution?

Is there anyone who is Pre2 owner (or a Pre+/- with OS2.1) and lives in the affected area but does NOT have this issue either with NDrive or with Navit?The affected area is about 30 miles or so West of Greenwich, meaning pretty much all of London and the counties to its West as well as vertically North or South of it.

Thanks!
    I have a developer device pre2 with 2.1 on it, I have had Navit installed in hopes thaat an update fixes it, it was just recently updated for the maps app, but I will try a fresh install and see if it works. I have had it open (before I had any maps to test on), but after my initial install, after every update, I would get the same issue, app closes immediately after launch. Will post update after I reinstall

UPDATE:
    still a no-go, I can't get Navit to launch, hopefully the Devs can figure out what the issue is.
    thanks
    sj
    Last edited by sjsharksfan; 07/18/2011 at 05:08 AM.
    Hi, I am not sure I understand the problem completely, but I hacked together a small patch that just inverts the position when between -1 and 1 longitude.
    You need to replace /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/org.webosinternals.navit/lib/navit/vehicle/libvehicle_webos.so with the one in the attached zip-file.

If someone wants to test this, please get in touch with me over IRC (#navit on freenode, preferred) or via PM.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Just replaced the file and ran Navit. I am home and can't do much testing at this time, but the quick and provisional result is that yes, it works.

For the first time Navit has recognized my location accurately. Great, and thank you.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, I put the unzipped file above on the USB partition of the Pre2, and used InternalzPro to navigate around and replace the old file, having first copied it to a backup folder I created earlier.
    Last edited by Amohazab; 08/19/2011 at 06:25 PM.
    That sounds good. I need confirmation that this works from both "sides" of the 0-meridian. Anyone else willing to test?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    Just replaced the file and ran Navit. I am home and can't do much testing at this time, but the quick and provisional result is that yes, it works.

For the first time Navit has recognized my location accurately. Great, and thank you.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, I put the unzipped file above on the USB partition of the Pre2, and used InternalzPro to navigate around and replace the old file, having first copied it to a backup folder I created earlier.
    Carried out testing in the real (inside of the 0-1 degree bug zone) world and it works. It does quit fairly often, but I suppose that is a different issue which other Pre2 owners have also experienced. But the GPS API bug seems to have been addressed around where I live. I wish Palm/HP themselves were as resourceful.
    New testing version released. See http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...ml#post3104081
    And yet another version, this should also work on Pre3. The skin needs some work, though
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Is there a similar fix for NDrive available? Has anyone found a way to get "inside" and make the required changes?
    Quote Originally Posted by UpTheRams View Post
    Is there a similar fix for NDrive available? Has anyone found a way to get "inside" and make the required changes?
    Sorry, but the only ones who can help you there are the developers from HP and NDrive. That's why it's called closed source.

/noradtux
    Hi,

some time ago, I successfully used Navit on my Pre2 including GPS connection (then it was still a "testing" version of Navit).
    Now (several months later) I loaded a local Map of ~600MB and tried to use Navit, but it would not get a GPS fix (though it askes for permission to connect). I waited more than 10minutes in open terrain, but still no fix. Then I removed and reinstalled Navit several times. I even removed the Navit.xml and similar files, no change.

Other mapping and location tools do connect to GPS and get a proper fix.

Another strange thing: Navit asks for GPS permission only during the first start after a reboot. After stopping Navit and starting it again, no further security question regarding Location Services is issued.

Anny suggestions to troubleshoot the GPS connection in Navit?
    Quote Originally Posted by ladroege View Post
    Hi,

some time ago, I successfully used Navit on my Pre2 including GPS connection (then it was still a "testing" version of Navit).
    Now (several months later) I loaded a local Map of ~600MB and tried to use Navit, but it would not get a GPS fix (though it askes for permission to connect). I waited more than 10minutes in open terrain, but still no fix. Then I removed and reinstalled Navit several times. I even removed the Navit.xml and similar files, no change.

Other mapping and location tools do connect to GPS and get a proper fix.

Another strange thing: Navit asks for GPS permission only during the first start after a reboot. After stopping Navit and starting it again, no further security question regarding Location Services is issued.

Anny suggestions to troubleshoot the GPS connection in Navit?
    Hi,
    that sounds strange. Navit writes a log-file to the USB-drive. It's in appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/navit.log.
    If you can provide that file it might contain a clue of what's wrong.

/norad
    Quote Originally Posted by noradtux View Post
    Hi,
    that sounds strange. Navit writes a log-file to the USB-drive. It's in appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/navit.log.
    If you can provide that file it might contain a clue of what's wrong.
    See attached. Be aware that I ran a few uninstall/install cycles during the logged timeframe.

I found several occurrences of this:
    graphics_sdl:event_sdl_remove_timeout:SDL_RemoveTimer (0x37af63e8) failed

Thanks for taking the time to check this.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by ladroege View Post
    See attached.
    Unfortunately my situation is unchanged. I am quite reluctant to reset my Pre2 to factory defaults just for Navit. So I probably cannot use it unless someone helps me to troubleshoot the strange behavior.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast