Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Could it be possible that H/P is giving 50 gigs of free cloud space on TP through Box.net?
    its was on the demo video from Walmart at 5 minute mark.

Update: The best link possible:
    Bringing Box to HP TouchPad | The Box Blog - Read about new features, interviews and more
    Bringing Box to HP TouchPad

The tablet category has been around for little more than a year, and it has already made an undeniable impact on both our personal and professional lives. And this is just the beginning – Gartner predicts that more than 55 million tablets will be sold this year, a large portion of which will make their way into the workplace. With many of our customers already seeing tremendous success using Box on mobile devices, we are committed to providing the same support for emerging tablets in this expanding market.
    Today, HP’s TouchPad officially enters the tablet mix, and we’re excited to announce the concurrent launch of Box for TouchPad – available immediately for download. We’ve also worked with HP to bring 50GB of free cloud storage to TouchPad users, which lasts the lifetime of the Box account. As the world’s leading provider of personal computers, we expect HP’s launch of the TouchPad to drive further tablet adoption in the enterprise.
    And we’re not the only ones. Wired states that Box for Touchpad gives consumers a compelling reason to purchase the new device, while ZDNet painted a picture of the impressive leap this offer brings to the mobile storage category by taking readers back to the days when most laptops were shipping with base hard drive capacities of around 50GB to 60GB.
    In a recent statement, Todd Bradley, executive vice presiding for Hewlett-Packard’s Personal Systems Group stated, “Offering the Box app for TouchPad with an impressive amount of free storage and secure content sharing is an integral part of our mission to build a truly capable enterprise tablet. To create the best connected experience, we’ve focused on developing our App Catalog with leading third-party apps that provide features and tools proven to meet the personal and professional needs of the mobile worker.”
    Integral to this offer was our joint commitment to providing consumers with the best mobile, connected experience. With that goal in mind, Box for TouchPad joins our rapidly growing mobile portfolio, which currently includes apps for the iPhone, iPad and Android devices. Now, TouchPad owners will realize the benefits of the Box platform, with the ability to:
    • Access and view files on-the-go
    • Easily share links to Box files and folders via email
    • Find files quickly utilizing built-in search
    • Upload content directly from the TouchPad to Box
    The 50GB offer is available for individuals who purchase the HP TouchPad and sign up for Box. Existing Box users with a Personal 5GB account will be automatically upgraded to 50GB of free storage upon installing the app.
    Take the Box app for a spin and let us know what you think! Please be sure to stay tuned for other exciting mobile news from Box in the near future.
    Post by Karen Appleton, VP of Business Development
    Last edited by kkhanmd; 07/01/2011 at 04:15 PM.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    it sure looks of it from that walmart video.. i just hope its not some free trial ped crap~!!

also keep in mind... if u watch closely withthe first walmart video, it appears that the tablet has about 4.5 gigs of preloaded stuff.

if you are looking to get the 16 gig like me that is something to consider for sure.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  3.    #3  
    its was on the demo video from Walmart at 5 minute mark.
    Haven't watched the video, but are we sure it doesn't say 5.0GB? 5GB is free on Box.net for anyone.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    it sure looks of it from that walmart video.. i just hope its not some free trial ped crap~!!

also keep in mind... if u watch closely withthe first walmart video, it appears that the tablet has about 4.5 gigs of preloaded stuff.

if you are looking to get the 16 gig like me that is something to consider for sure.
    with 50 gigs free no more concern, oh lord make it happen
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Haven't watched the video, but are we sure it doesn't say 5.0GB? 5GB is free on Box.net for anyone.
    Nope says 50
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, now for the real question, is it some free trial ped or did hp make a deal with box.net for that much content?
    i feel like cartman now... i need to go into the future hahah
    THANKS~!!
  8.    #8  
    this would revolutionary, if it happens, though I am skeptical, why would H/P offer if through box.net, when they have tons of cloud stuff themselves.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    because box.net already has the infrastructure and services for consumers. My guess is HP probably cut a deal with them by supplying the servers for the increased bandwidth they expect.
    win win for everyone... im just hoping its not some 60 day free trial thing....
    THANKS~!!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    because box.net already has the infrastructure and services for consumers. My guess is HP probably cut a deal with them by supplying the servers for the increased bandwidth they expect.
    win win for everyone... im just hoping its not some 60 day free trial thing....
    Are they close H/P and boxnet?
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Are they close H/P and boxnet?
    The bigger picture is that Leo said he is taking the company more into cloud technologies.

I have a feeling this is a trail deal so my hope is it is at least for a year.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i have no clue about their business deals.... its just wat i would do if i were running HP. for 300-500 k , HP were able to give us access to something that would have cost them millions to setup and deploy, without even counting the time they would spend refining it.
    and chances are after all of that, their product would probably still lack features and easy of use that box.net has
    THANKS~!!
  13.    #13  
    The thing is H/P is big in cloud storage, by big I mean much much bigger than box.net, then why do they get a smaller company to do what they can easily do themselves.
  14.    #14  
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    its not about how big they are... HP is used to serving clients that have thousands of employees, who have enough it expertise to write their own programs and securities.

Think if HP were to develop the infracture of box.net and at the same time develop its services, it would be a project that would run in the millions and millions of dollars. Then think about the time it would take to develop all the seamless intergration that box.net has.

HP needs to spend at least in my opinion a good year in beta if they want to release a Lock down the services and smooth out all the bug....

This is not to say that HP wont offer it own services, or in the future may even buy out box.net. but for now my guess is HP sent them servers to help box.net expand in exchange to provide Touchpad consumers this great service~!
    THANKS~!!
  16.    #16  
    only time will tell if box.net deal is real or not
    I'm not totally convinced about cloud services. They don't work without an internet connection so you can't access your data on an airplane or any other place wifi is not available. Learned this the hard way when I deployed overseas for a year. I could not access my zumodrive the whole time I was there because of a poor or non-existant connection.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm not totally convinced about cloud services. They don't work without an internet connection so you can't access your data on an airplane or any other place wifi is not available. Learned this the hard way when I deployed overseas for a year. I could not access my zumodrive the whole time I was there because of a poor or non-existant connection.
    I think it would be a boon for rest of the people who only get 16GB TP cause thats all they can afford.
    Either way, it's an amazing add-on to the service, and with Box.net's Content Management services (integration with Google Apps, Sharepoint, Salesforce.com, etc), it not only addresses some of the document editing complaints, but also makes it much more appealing to Enterprise and other business users, assuming of course they allow that kind of integration with the account.
    idk if this is anything different or not, but the box.net client in the app cat says it's .99 but when you click on it, it says free download. It's not an app that I've paid for before either.

Edit: or maybe I have bought it already and just forgot.. Someone else should heck

EDIT: false alarm! Sorry! I just hecked my reciepts and I had already bought the app, I just forgot about it. Anyway, is the 5 gb aything new?
    Last edited by wesleymarin; 06/26/2011 at 10:39 PM.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast