Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    HP has been fairly confident that there will be a deluge of webOS apps coming, and after some consideration, I think I have an idea as to why that may be.

The short answer is Enyo.

The long answer is based on hints we've been hearing about Enyo on other platforms, and webOS integration into Windows. People in the know, even on this forum, have been letting slip snippets about how webOS on PCs will be more than a webOS emulation window to run your apps in, but couldn't say more because they're under NDA. Others have been singing praises of how powerful Enyo is, but couldn't say more because they're under NDA.

I have come to believe that part of how webOS will come to be integrated will be the ability to run Enyo apps natively under Windows, giving developers an interesting and powerful tool to develop Windows apps that will also run on any webOS device (rah rah yes, your old Sprint Pre- will be left out, go complain to Steve Jobs that your iMac G2 won't run the Mac App Store).

This would attract more developers to Enyo because there'd be a huge market of PCs to be conquered - they wouldn't be writing apps for tiny fledgling webOS but for Enyo, which would run on the most widespread computing platform in the known universe (and, incidentally, also on webOS) - and create a further incentive for consumers to buy HP PCs or install the webOS framework on your PC as you'd have access to an app store containing apps that will run on your PC and your tablet and phone as well, if your tablet and phone are made by HP.
    That's a real, vertically integrated, end-to-end ecosystem... Just what people have been saying webOS is lacking.

Developers would suddenly have a de-facto Windows app store to cater to, which would likely spawn a whole bunch of programs in pretty short time (how many iOS devices are out there? How many Windows PCs?), and thanks to the screensize/resolution-agnostic nature of Enyo, most if not all of these apps would run on TouchPads, Stingray slabs, Pre3s and Veers as well.

Developers would have ONE framework to rule them all, to develop for PCs -and- mobile devices in.
    Users would have one overarching platform to use all of their apps in. They could use their favorite app on every device they own - and it would actually really be the same app, with the same features and controls they're already used to.
    HP would have a unique selling point in the mobile space and, if the Enyo framework could be installed on generic PCs and those made by other manufacturers as opposed to HP PCs only, they could even make money off those machines from App Catalog (webOS Pivot?) sales.
    It would be a win-win for absolutely everyone involved.

If I'm right, this will give the ultimate credence to Mark Hurd when he said that HP didn't buy Palm to become a smartphone company, as if anyone could ever think that HP with its tentacles in all areas of computing would seriously abandon all of their other markets to concentrate on ONE part of the greater computing market all of a sudden.
    They bought Palm in order to use webOS as the unifying company differentiator AND a way to cash in with Windows boxes after they sold them (and even other manufacturer's Windows boxes) by giving users a unique vertically integrated system of a sort no-one else is offering. WebOS - synergizes like nothing else.

Not convinced? <comment> away!

<<staff edit>>

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/20/2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: removed text inviting arguing/flaming
    I really hope you're right, you can't be too far away from the truth! With more and more touchscreen computing becoming common it'd be nice to be able to download "Apps" for windows that are actually created with touchscreen in mind.
    The downside is that Windows 8 is aiming for the same thing that Enyo is, scalable to any size screen with touchscreen or not. Let's hope HP is partnering up to get some Enyo action in there!
    You know what would be really wild? If Microsoft announced Windows 8 will be developed for using Enyo. They have mentioned that developers will use HTML5 to develop apps, what they haven't mentioned is what sort of framework/API they will give to Windows 8 developers.

4.    #4  
    A dozen fully developed touch-friendly, cross-platform frameworks designed to scale across any screen size or resolution, whose apps once coded will run on PCs and mobile devices with no further modification, with fully operative app stores that already exist? Can you name one so I may research it?

I don't know why it's such a stretch to assume that Windows PCs, the weakest of which are still more powerful than last year's webOS smartphones (which are basically the webOS smartphones of two years ago), will be able to run something that those old smartphones and their 500mhz processors can't handle.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Thats what i have always said too. i mean when developers find out that developing one app for enyo, will get ure app to run on the veer, pre3, touchpad, touchpad7, and whatever other webos phone is left out there. plus unlike itunes that u actually need to connect the device to sync it with ure pc, webos just does it things will start flowing to hp.
    imagine how easy it is for enterprise for example if someone builds an app they can distribute it to all of their devices with just a click. and one app will run in all the different devices including their pc's if they are sitting on a desk. thats poewrful!
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Interesting, reading the article on the front page about how Skype will be integrated into webOS and Synergy in general, I thought that webOS is going in the OPPOSITE direction to all other mobile os' in the App arms race.

Other platforms are fighting to have apps for everything whilst webOS is removing the clutter of icons on the launcher and integrating what it can at a system level. Combined with a browser that allows you to view the web as you would on a PC, HP's setting webOS up to be an OS that won't actually need as many apps as other platforms, because the services are either integrated into the OS or available on the fully viewable website.

It's an interesting approach, maybe they know they'll never win in the app race so they're removing themselves from the race and taking a whole other approach, or maybe it's just a happy coincidence.
    Simply stated, if the OP's hypothesis is true, that would be a HUGE benefit for WebOS as a community, both the consumers and the developers.

I'm still not sold on the WebOS on PC's, mind you, as most, if not all, are NOT touchscreen, but, if the applications can be run with a mouse on standard PC's without compromise, then, I think the opportunities could be significant.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I would take platform hype like this with a grain of salt. webOS needs to get itself out of the "other" category of mobile platform market share first.
    You view webOS as a mobile platform first and foremost. I sincerely doubt that anyone at HP is viewing it like that.

I think that HP wants to bring webOS to any device that is capable of running it, that they want to make as many devices as possible capable of running it in the future, and that they figure that the more devices are capable of running it, the more developers will be attracted to it.
    Consequently, the more improvements these newly-attracted developers will be making to this inherently open platform (which can be easily and endlessly modified by patches, themes, synergy plugins etc. not to speak of marketable app numbers), the more consumers will be attracted to it.

I think that if I'm right and Enyo is announced as a multi-platform development framework, developers will realize how a cross-platform framework like that is an easy and powerful way to maximize profits, especially because it would open up new markets - as already mentioned, a webOS Pivot app store accessible from Windows comes to mind.

Rather than being fully developed, webOS is more in the category of "being developed". Remember that Mojo was supposedly designed to scale across any screen size but is going to run in a smartphone-sized emulator on the TP. Scalable UI is easy to say but much harder to execute.
    Have you seen videos of how Enyo works? Like the one where the guy shows an Enyo app displaying one scene in a small window and then expands it to a big window displaying three separate scenes of the app side-by-side?

Plus, not that it really matters since Enyo, and not Mojo, is the cross-platform framework in question: you've never seen a Mojo app running on the TouchPad, you've only seen a Mojo app running on an early TouchPad emulator that shipped with an early beta of the webOS 3.0 SDK. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mojo apps were to be scaled up and running fullscreen on production webOS3 as shipped on TouchPads. (I would also not be surprised if fullscreen Mojo apps on the TouchPad were ugly and clunky, but that's why they came up with Enyo to supersede Mojo.)
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Not convinced? <comment> away!
    Personally, I'm impressed that you typed that whole thing on your Pre!!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/20/2011 at 12:46 PM. Reason: edited quote
    Another development platform to run apps on a PC? Don't we have a dozen fully developed platforms to choose from already? Enyo isn't even compatible with last year's webOS smartphones so reaching for all PCs seems somewhat of a stretch.
    So if they're were a dozen, then this would make lucky 13. At what number do you think others should be dissuaded?

There is one pretty outstanding difference in this case though - the development platform would be owned by the largest PC distributor of Windows, and the "run time" would be preinstalled on their PCs.

I don't know if this scenario is true or not, but your reasoning seems a bit skewed and myopic.
    I agree completely and hope HP and Palm get things swinging soon since everyone and their mother wants a piece of what Apple's (yes apple) is doing. Apple's Marketplace is a great example of a company creating something specifically to generate more income (30% share of everything). Before Adobe could sell Photoshop and not share anything. Not anymore if you want to sell PS through Apple's Marketplace, time to step-up and pay up!

Enyo will help exponentially, but HP needs some solid backing from Oracle, Adobe, and Microsoft if they plan to have something new and inventive by the end of year. Maybe HP is big enough to do it on their own and I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Sorli...
    Now make webOS run on android, and you've got something....
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    So you are saying that the elephant got conscious about his size and myte
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Juize View Post
    So you are saying that the elephant got conscious about his size and myte
    I'd say that's the gyst of it

Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    Interesting, reading the article on the front page about how Skype will be integrated into webOS and Synergy in general, I thought that webOS is going in the OPPOSITE direction to all other mobile os' in the App arms race.

Other platforms are fighting to have apps for everything whilst webOS is removing the clutter of icons on the launcher and integrating what it can at a system level. Combined with a browser that allows you to view the web as you would on a PC, HP's setting webOS up to be an OS that won't actually need as many apps as other platforms, because the services are either integrated into the OS or available on the fully viewable website.

It's an interesting approach, maybe they know they'll never win in the app race so they're removing themselves from the race and taking a whole other approach, or maybe it's just a happy coincidence.
    I've noticed this too. I think this is the direction HP wants to take Synergy in. We've already seen how the photos app will pull in albums from various sources. Imagine if the same were one day possible with music and video? Of course that will be a licensing hell to pull off, but imagine one day having your HP cloud, along with amazon, google, and other services all going to the same place instead of scattered across different apps.
    I was thinking about this yesterday when I saw HP on QVC selling the touchsmart PC's. And thought, HMMMM HP, WebOS on PC's with their touchsmart PC's.... I can dig it.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Once Windows 8 comes out, who is going to run webOS on the PC except for hardcore webOS fan? To most people, this will be another bloatware on HP computer. They already too put many craps, I usually format the HD and reinstall windows, it makes PC run so much smoother.
    Pre-installing stuff on a PC that the customer never asked for - a tried and true business model.
    Actually, it is. Most folks have absolutely no idea how much so.

I used to own (with 2 partners) a computer retail store in the early days of the "PC revolution". We were a dealer for two brand name computers, plus we built computers out of components and sold those as well.

When we first started the latter part of the business, it boomed. We put together a PC, purchased Windows for the user, and we were off to the races.

Then MS started giving discounts to OEM dealers. The purchase requirements for that was out of our price range. We semi-competed buy purchasing from a discounter that sold OEM packages at a small profit (you had to provide a resell certificate, and put his label on the PC).

When the big names started putting trial versions of software, add-ons (like Google and Yahoo) it was pretty much game over for the small shops. I and one of the other partners had sold out by that time, but we kept in touch, and it was impossible to compete when the big computer makers were making money off these add-ons that we couldn't touch.

And yes, that business model was so successful, it's branched out. Addons pay a subsidy to lots of other companies as well, which is why so frequently a user will get Google Search, or Bing, or Yahoo, or whatever when they install a purchased app.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Once Windows 8 comes out, who is going to run webOS on the PC except for hardcore webOS fan? To most people, this will be another bloatware on HP computer. They already too put many craps, I usually format the HD and reinstall windows, it makes PC run so much smoother.
    People keep bringing up windows 8, like MS delivers stuff on time, and everyone runs out and gets an OS update at launch.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I used to own (with 2 partners) a computer retail store in the early days of the "PC revolution". We were a dealer for two brand name computers, plus we built computers out of components and sold those as well.

When we first started the latter part of the business, it boomed. We put together a PC, purchased Windows for the user, and we were off to the races.
    I remember these days well, I think I was 12 or 13. Worked with my dad as a Sole Proprietorship doing similar (but on a small local basis).

I remember back when going to the "computer show" and buying your software and components was so much cheaper than just buying from a big retailer. So much has changed (not all for the worse though), back then I would never have imagined having the hardware I have in my house now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast