1.    #1  
    I think both of these services are coming but I'd say for sure by the end of the year. My main reasoning behind this is the photo app.

First off i'd just like t say I love the idea of having one app, one interface for all my music services and one for my videos as well. Just let the source (pandora/netflix/etc) submit a feed or plugin to the app catalog.

But I think the photo app is HP's first attempt is their first attempt to create this type of service. The blending of different internet "feeds" onto your device. Photos are a lot simpler than music and videos, hence a good way to test the waters.

There's also a lot of talk of HP's own services such as HP play and their movie store but I do not see why these can't be a part of the synnergies. HP having its own services makes sense, they'll probably be a bit more focused on but it will take away any requirement/argument for apple's icloud or google music and be direct competition for those services on the other platforms.

I still do think we will see netflix app on June 1st, along with an individual pandora, last fm, music apps. But I do think these services will be blended into one app by years end and I am quite looking forward to it.

Hope I didn't make this long enough for many TLRs
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    The difference with the photo app, HP is using public accessible data through public API's. In order to do something similar with music and movies, HP would have to sign some pretty major deals with record labels and movie distributors, something you can almost guarantee won't happen anytime soon.

If a large entity like Hulu, Google, and others are struggling with dealing with how content is distributed I don't think they'll be on-board for having an all-encompassing app for content.

I could be wrong, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The only reason Apple was able to sign the deals they got is due to their success with iTunes and how they're handling the content.
  3.    #3  
    I'm not talking too much about HP making the deals, I'm talking about getting services like Netflix and Hulu and pandora, to give up their own apps and just create plugins. And if they were going to do an app anyways this should be easier and better for them as HP will be doing most of the heavy lifting in terms of app development and maintenance. All Netflix and the others have to do is provide HP the same feed that would normally go into their own apps.

HP Play and Movie store are different, that is where HP will have to fight to get deals.

But for the ones that would have been there anyways there would still be netflix branding and what not just inside the app instead of on the home screen, youd still be paying the same monthly fee so I do not see how this would be a big challenge for HP to get them to agree to.
    I do: Netflix would be giving up their DRM to another entity to handle, which would be a big no-no to content distributors. I could be wrong here, and I think it's a cool idea, but I honestly just don't see it as something feasible right now.

I'd be very surprised to something like this anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I do: Netflix would be giving up their DRM to another entity to handle, which would be a big no-no to content distributors. I could be wrong here, and I think it's a cool idea, but I honestly just don't see it as something feasible right now.

I'd be very surprised to something like this anytime soon.
    You're right and this is why I think that everyone who thinks HP should release music & movie synergy tomorrow, see Josh Toplosky and others, need some perspective on what it would take to make that work. I don't know why some people think that Netflix and music apps that act like Netflix would be so willing to turn over management of the DRM to an force outside of themselves.

I'm not saying that it won't or couldn't happen, but it takes time to make those deals happen. At the minimum we should see HP Play later this year. Synergy will take longer.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?