webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Introducing Communities for Touchpad
Introducing Communities for Touchpad
Like Tree136Likes

Old 06/13/2011, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Start to get acustomed to this icon, you'll see it a lot. Let us introduce Communities for HP Touchpad:

Some time ago, we introduced Forums, the Tapatalk client for HP webOS. We tried to bring to the webOS platform the best forum browsing app available, and it seems we got it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCentral
Browsing online forums using the Forums app by comparison is so fast and efficient that you may prefer using your webOS device over your computer
Since then, we've been developing the next version of Forums, as a complete rewrite of the app. And the app is so different (and exciting) that it deserves a new everything.

Communities brings to the table a much more social-oriented usage of your favorite online communities, and some unique features that aren't available on any other platform (aside from the obvious benefits of webOS multitasking, that Forums used, and Communities will bring).

Stay tuned!!! Will post some screen captures as soon as possible!
Old 06/13/2011, 07:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

Awesome, Forums is a really cool quality app (even if I rarely use it because the reflex of opening up the forums page in the browser is just too deeply ingrained in me).

Can you tell us anything about how it was to write Communities in Enyo, and whether you know how the app will translate / scale to a smaller screen?
GodShapedHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2011, 07:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sounds great! Looking forward to this!
Old 06/13/2011, 07:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Give us video!!!

Price?

(PS - if it's half as good as Forums, and it's not too expensive, you got my money)
Beanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2011, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
rot

What's the fate of the Forums app? I assume it won't receive future upgrades? Or will it?

Would you mind doing a worldwide EOL-discount on forums? I would love to try it out, but 2,99eur for an old version, that's a bit too much for me.
rot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2011, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Forums is one of my favorite apps. Looking forward to Communities for the UI experience.
spare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2011, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
Can you tell us anything about how it was to write Communities in Enyo, and whether you know how the app will translate / scale to a smaller screen?
A few random letters: A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. It's like playing with Lego; you can do this:

but also this:

You just need to know where to put the blocks. About scaling, I've done the app thinking on the Touchpad, but it'll be a matter of hours to have it ready for phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
Give us video!!!
I can't post a mere screenshot, so figure a video... all I can say is: Communities leaves Forums in the dust, no matter how much you liked Forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rot View Post
What's the fate of the Forums app? I assume it won't receive future upgrades? Or will it?
I promised more updates for Forums, and I'm going to keep my promise. That's all I can say for now.

Quote:
Price?
Communities: 2,99 Tablet (as it was)
Communities Profile: 3,99 (I think it's fair 1 buck for being able to install it on every device on your profile)
Old 06/13/2011, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)

So that's what you've been doing instead of updating forums to allow us to edit our signature in preferences...... (edit: and webOS notifications)

Can't wait to see what awesomeness Communities brings. Keep up the good work!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums

Vent Mounted Touchstone for Pre3 DIY!
vasekvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2011, 09:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

So will this app be available at launch?

BTW- $4 is a great price.
Beanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2011, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

I use the Forums app frequently, and I look forward to using communities as well.

Keep up the good work!
Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
neville1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/13/2011, 11:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
So will this app be available at launch?

That's the idea. Not sure if all features will be ready, but the app will be available.
Old 06/13/2011, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

I also quite like using forums, even if a few of the ones I frequent continue to lag behind. I am quite eager to see more of this new version, even more so if its anywhere near as good as you are saying
Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
dcbo89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2011, 12:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

I love FORUMS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
JohnWLandfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2011, 12:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
I love FORUMS.

Than you will LOVE communities

follow me on twitter or Catch me at LOOT

ATTN: If You like my Patches or Themes please feel free to DONATE
sketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/16/2011, 12:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

Like Forums some times. I just hope that your communities app is better. My problem with Forums is that there is a huge amount of delay and lag throughout the app. Everything from scrolling to backing out of a forum.

Hopefully, you've made improvements to speed and overall usefulness with Communities.

Old 06/16/2011, 01:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy View Post
Like Forums some times. I just hope that your communities app is better. My problem with Forums is that there is a huge amount of delay and lag throughout the app. Everything from scrolling to backing out of a forum.

Hopefully, you've made improvements to speed and overall usefulness with Communities.

Well... let's see... (Probably is Enyo merit, not mine).

One more thing... Communities loads as fast as possible on webOS devices, and that's the same speed as iOS or Android.
Old 06/16/2011, 01:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
Communities: 2,99 Tablet (as it was)
Communities Profile: 3,99 (I think it's fair 1 buck for being able to install it on every device on your profile)
Whoa there. Did I miss a memo somewhere? This is the first time I hear of support for one-device and profile-wide licenses on the App Catalog - and I love it!
Old 06/16/2011, 01:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Whoa there. Did I miss a memo somewhere? This is the first time I hear of support for one-device and profile-wide licenses on the App Catalog - and I love it!
Yes, this would be a very good feature of licensing for users
Old 06/16/2011, 01:59 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
Yes, this would be a very good feature of licensing for users
Absolutely. One minor hiccup with the concept will be the fact that all apps bought prior to that licensing scheme being implemented will be one-device licenses (although I suppose it could be possible to just pay a surcharge in order to make a previously purchased one-device license valid across your profile)

Then again, I have five copies of House of Leaves, so I can probably afford buying a second copy of Angry Birds.
Old 06/16/2011, 02:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Absolutely. One minor hiccup with the concept will be the fact that all apps bought prior to that licensing scheme being implemented will be one-device licenses (although I suppose it could be possible to just pay a surcharge in order to make a previously purchased one-device license valid across your profile)

Then again, I have five copies of House of Leaves, so I can probably afford buying a second copy of Angry Birds.
Think about it as if it is a new platform. I've struggled my self with how to minimize damage to previous app customers, and there is no way withtout causing serious damages to my workflow.

That's the reason of putting the price for profile licenses (keep in mind that this includes future kind of devices too) just one buck more. It's a "thank you, and sorry for the inconvenience" for previous customers (sadly it's a garbage for new adopters too). I'll probably (well, more than probably) raise the price in the (near) future another buck or two while new form factors are launched.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0