webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Big up Universe Browser
Big up Universe Browser
Like Tree17Likes

Old 06/12/2011, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

I have moved away from the stock browser and settled on universe as my main browser. I have to say that with the ability to open links in a new card, my web browsing experience is so enjoyable and productive especially when browsing from lists like a google search or forums page. I cant use any other browser. I am an opera desktop user and I think this feature is better than what I get with tabs

and I dont understand why palm doesn't enable this feature in the stock browser to take advantage of the cards and stacks that they created.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2011, 10:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

As with any platform, the stock applications are not going to be as good as Third Party ones sometimes. For instance, iOS had Safari, but then came along Opera Mini and became the most downloaded app in all 22 of Apple's countries simultaneously. Another example of a great stock application being enhanced is Music (Remix) by Hedami.

I use Opera on my laptop too.

I wouldn't worry about it, just love the experience the new application gives you.
Jake_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/12/2011, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

when i hold the orange/white button and tap the link in the stock browser, i get a popup menu choice with the option for a new card.

i think this has been available since 1.2, preware has a patch that enables holding the gesture area in place of the white/orange button
abegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by hagster likes this.
Old 06/12/2011, 11:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abegee View Post
when i hold the orange/white button and tap the link in the stock browser, i get a popup menu choice with the option for a new card.
Thanks, I'll give it a try
Old 06/12/2011, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

I installed the patch and it works. But I still don't know with palm struggling as they are why they wouldn't enable some of the nicest things they have to offer. Advanced gestures disabled by default? Had to show a verizon rep how it works.
Old 06/14/2011, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

There are a few little things that degrade the Universe experience for me. If you focus on a textfield in a web page and start typing, 99% of the time it will focus on the Universe address bar instead of the textfield in the web page the first time. You would have to unfocus the address bar and focus the textfield again.

Also, I really don't like how errors are implemented. It seems that it passes the local URL to the address bar and the browser goes to that URL, which is a HORRIBLE idea. It's ironic when the error tells you to refresh the page, but since the URL in the address bar is for the error message page, when you refresh you just refresh the error message! This was not well thought-out by the dev.

One final minor annoyance is that it doesn't hide the address bar and other controls when you scroll down the page, like the default browser does. I like having an uncluttered browser experience.
Old 06/14/2011, 04:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have issues too, like bookmark folders not expanded and title not highlighted. But overall I like it way better than the stock browser.
Old 06/15/2011, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Bookmark folders work great for me. Have not had any problems with those. In fact, that one feature had me sold on getting Universe.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 06/22/2011, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Do you have to be overclocked or on a pre plus to use this app? I downloaded it, but it's slow and freezes my pre minus.
Old 07/03/2011, 06:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Same issue with my pre-. It freezes constantly so I've had to go back to default browser

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
primetime34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/09/2011, 04:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

So, I think that I may have fixed, or improved, the freezing bug. I am working out a few more bugs/features, and then I will submit to the app catalog.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07/25/2011, 12:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I really like this browser, the only thing i missed was bookmark synchronisation with my Opera Desktop Browser. So i made an app for that (Opera's Bookmarks) and added an option to start the universe browser right from the app.
StephanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman and threed61 like this.
Old 08/08/2011, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
So, I think that I may have fixed, or improved, the freezing bug. I am working out a few more bugs/features, and then I will submit to the app catalog.

Thanks everyone!
Did the update ever make the app catalog? I've not gotten an update notification and it's been almost a month since the update comment. I really wanted to try this again. Thanx.
Old 08/15/2011, 03:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

i love this browser myself
drewcam888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2011, 04:17 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
Did the update ever make the app catalog? I've not gotten an update notification and it's been almost a month since the update comment. I really wanted to try this again. Thanx.
Sorry. Not quite yet. Been working on co-ordinating a cool feature. I am planning to get things squared away this weekend.
Old 08/15/2011, 04:50 PM   #16 (permalink)

Is this browser gonna come to the touchpad?
bullonparade85#IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/15/2011, 06:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullonparade85 View Post
Is this browser gonna come to the touchpad?
Been working on it.
Old 08/17/2011, 07:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

@dkirker, would it be possible to have the history/bookmark panel not disappear automatically after a link is selected. In other works make it sticky until I dismiss it and have the main screen resize like in glimpse?
Old 07/01/2012, 01:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

What version of Webkit is this based on compared to webOS stock and Webkit nightlies?
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/01/2012, 07:18 AM   #20 (permalink)

I'm wondering if with open webOS it will now be possible to choose default browser.

Also re-flow text, allow flash in browser not to pause on screen change. Another thing, I like to open links in new cards so would it be possible to have an option in preferences to open all links in new card.

If I could have these things I would be in universe browser heaven

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0