webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Big up Universe Browser
Big up Universe Browser
Like Tree17Likes

Old 12/07/2012, 10:22 PM   #61 (permalink)

My prayers have been answered. Today I discovered "spare time" instapaper client.

Those who have been here a while have seen me wish to be able to read any webpage in portrait mode. So I visited a site and it was was the most mobil unfriendly thing I have ever seen. Column way too wide and font way too small even in landscape mode.

So I decided search for a solution without going to laptop just to read one article. First I tried relego, since there is an add to relego option in universe. Turns out it didn't work, some kinda error message. Anyway even if it did work I don't see any options for font size in the menus.

Then I stumbled upon spare time and noticed in the description that it was suppose to be mobil friendly. So I installed and just my first glimpse of the thing I was in love. I copied the url of the unreadable college paper and there it was readable in the default font size with option to increase font size. Then I loaded up a mustang forum an it was now readable too.

So I am requesting if we could add spare time to the universe menus, I think its a very good solution for a big problem. And if we could make it stack with the browser to cut down on scrolling that would be even better.

Thanks for the effort and also big up the developers of Spare Time
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 02:23 AM   #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
Can that be achieve instead of placing button to do that functionality, use it with gestures ?
I don't know what gestures could be used to accomplaish this that are not being used system wide already. But what I was thinking is that since this is webos we really don't need the back and forward buttons. So what if he could give the option of replacing these with up and down buttons to represent jump to top and bottom of page

Last edited by laingman; 12/10/2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12/10/2012, 06:24 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I don't know what gestures could be used to accomplaish this that are not being used system wide already. But what I was thinking is that since this is webos we really don't need the back and forward buttons. So what if he could give the option of replacing these with up and own buttons to represent jump to top and bottom of page
I was thinking about the "Two-Finger scroll" which was used in some applications on WebOS, that allows users to quick-scrolling to the top or the bottom of the app.In this occasion it could be used to scroll to the bottom or top of the web-page on a web-browser app. Maybe something similar it could work without needing to add any forward or back buttons.
Old 12/11/2012, 02:25 AM   #64 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I was thinking about the "Two-Finger scroll" which was used in some applications on WebOS, that allows users to quick-scrolling to the top or the bottom of the app.In this occasion it could be used to scroll to the bottom or top of the web-page on a web-browser app. Maybe something similar it could work without needing to add any forward or back buttons.
I am not a fan of two or any kind of multiple finger anything, doesn't feel right. I have not tried any of those apps you mention on a phone so I don't know how it worked. But I did spend ten dollars on splashtop for touchpad and never used it because it had two finger scroll. I have been trying on my pre2 to see how it would go and it seems my fingers are all different lengths. So I would have to think that I want to do this action now, then position my fingers a certain way to get both of them on the screen at the same time. Way too much trouble.

They would not need to add any forward any backwards buttons, they are already there. They are not really necessary since we have back and forward gestures. So assuming it's easy to code to go to top and bottom of page, all he would need to do is to copy the images and rotate them. Then in the preferences ask the user what should button one and button two do. Some may want back and forward, and some would want top and bottom

Last edited by laingman; 12/11/2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05/02/2013, 06:39 PM   #65 (permalink)

Haven't heard any thing in a while. Wondering if there is any update or bug fixes to look forward to for the universe browser or no more development.
Old 05/02/2013, 07:46 PM   #66 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Haven't heard any thing in a while. Wondering if there is any update or bug fixes to look forward to for the universe browser or no more development.
AFAIK development is halted or stopped because he's porting the real Isis with the new WebKit.

Isis Web - the successor of the Touchpad's stock web browser
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2013, 08:34 PM   #67 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
AFAIK development is halted or stopped because he's porting the real Isis with the new WebKit.
Ok. I wonder what devices/webos versions the isis can run on. Thanks
Old 05/02/2013, 10:48 PM   #68 (permalink)

I'm planning to push an update form the github code to the app catalog. But mostly doing Isis stuff in my free time these days.
Old 05/03/2013, 08:49 PM   #69 (permalink)

Thanks for update. I am not sure I understand what isis is all about tho.
Old 05/04/2013, 01:23 AM   #70 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Isis = more modern browser for webOS running newer version of WebKit and is included in Open webOS. Dkirker is trying to get this working on TP and phones :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Last edited by Herrie; 05/04/2013 at 03:30 AM.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus likes this.
Thanked by laingman, Vistaus
Old 05/04/2013, 04:55 AM   #71 (permalink)

A new updated WebKit browser will be awesome should mean better rendering of pages and hopefully faster load times which kinda falls under rendering too hehe

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
barryb20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: laingman

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0