webOS Nation Forums >  Stuff for your webOS Device >  webOS Apps & Games > Big up Universe Browser
Big up Universe Browser
Like Tree17Likes

Old 08/29/2012, 07:35 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I need to get universe.... been lagging on this one.
Yep. It has way more functionality than stock browser. I guess its like sticking with explorer on pc.

There is a patch to use universe for just type but since there is no way to change default browser weblinks in email and such still launch stock browser.

Here is a review of universe if anyone wants to read: http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/04/...wser-top-pick/
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2012, 01:09 AM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Guess not many universe users around. Still trying to figure out how to get flash working again in universe browser. Unlike the stock browser there is no option to enable flash in preferences.
That is a system wide preference. Both Universe and the stock browser use a web view which handles web pages and Flash the same way. How is it not playing?

I've been knee deep in QTWebKit stuff, so I've been MIA.
Old 08/30/2012, 01:10 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep. It has way more functionality than stock browser. I guess its like sticking with explorer on pc.

There is a patch to use universe for just type but since there is no way to change default browser weblinks in email and such still launch stock browser.

Here is a review of universe if anyone wants to read: Review: Universe Web Browser [Top Pick] | $1 to $5, News, Reviews, Top Picks, Utilities |webOSroundup
That should all change when I submit the next version. The source code is sitting on github, I just have to strip something from it first.
Thanked by laingman, Yellowhammer
Old 08/30/2012, 05:00 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirker View Post
That should all change when I submit the next version. The source code is sitting on github, I just have to strip something from it first.
Bought it to support you
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/30/2012, 06:29 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
That is a system wide preference. Both Universe and the stock browser use a web view which handles web pages and Flash the same way. How is it not playing?

I've been knee deep in QTWebKit stuff, so I've been MIA.
Well it used to work fine then all of a sudden I just get the box with question mark thing and no amount of tapping can make it do anything. Its similar to the discussion in the comments section of the review link I posted. Same content plays in stock browser tho.

I have deleted and re-installed but didn't fix it, I am thinking of doctoring the phone to see if that works

Thanks for checking in, nice to have developers sticking around

Last edited by laingman; 08/30/2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09/21/2012, 06:46 PM   #46 (permalink)

Well now flash has started working again in universe browser. I have no idea what was wrong before.

I still have a problem where some videos (mp4 for example) that play in the stock browser will download instead of play in universe.

Also would be nice if the patch that allow flash to continue to play on screen change in stock browser can be incorporated into universe.
Old 09/24/2012, 02:36 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Well now flash has started working again in universe browser. I have no idea what was wrong before.

I still have a problem where some videos (mp4 for example) that play in the stock browser will download instead of play in universe.

Also would be nice if the patch that allow flash to continue to play on screen change in stock browser can be incorporated into universe.
I had to comment out some code in Universe to get it into the catalog. "Private APIs" and such... I will add that stuff to the non-catalog build (you'll hear about more of this in a bit).

Where is the patch located? I can add it.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 09/24/2012, 06:14 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
I had to comment out some code in Universe to get it into the catalog. "Private APIs" and such... I will add that stuff to the non-catalog build (you'll hear about more of this in a bit).

Where is the patch located? I can add it.
Thanks. Here is the link for the browser flash no pause:
[Patch] Disable flash player pause when browser minimized for webOS 2.1.1 / 2.2.3
Old 09/26/2012, 03:13 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks. Here is the link for the browser flash no pause:
[Patch] Disable flash player pause when browser minimized for webOS 2.1.1 / 2.2.3
Oh nice! Ok. I'll check it out. I have a few neat fixes for Universe that I am working on. A few features will be added in a version of Universe that I will put in a Preware repo (I'll have to use a com.palm.* appID for them....). And I'll upload the official client to the app catalog.
Old 10/18/2012, 03:56 PM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
What version of Webkit is this based on compared to webOS stock and Webkit nightlies?
Dignitary has just read my mind, I was about to ask that question about what version of webkit will be used for that update and what sort of improvement will it bring compared to the current version of the stock browser on WebOS.

Also have anyone manage to bring the newer QTwebkit engine for the TouchPad ? I heard that this new engine brings much faster performance than the old engine, there was even a YouTube video demonstrating those enhancements. I don't even know how the guy on the video managed to port that engine on the TouchPad, but it will be interesting to see someone(with the expertise in coding apps) port it over their application for the WebOS 3.0.5 operating system.

Old 10/19/2012, 12:42 AM   #51 (permalink)

Universe uses the same WebKit as the stock browser. Which is based on a WebKit from 2009.

In my spare time from work (which to say isn't too much at the moment), I am bringing QTWebKit from the isis-project to webOS 3.0.5.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 10/19/2012, 03:48 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Universe uses the same WebKit as the stock browser. Which is based on a WebKit from 2009.

In my spare time from work (which to say isn't too much at the moment), I am bringing QTWebKit from the isis-project to webOS 3.0.5.
So that must mean that we still gonna have that slow, never properly rendering website old webkit engine from 2009...it's SAD

Dkirker, Thanks for your hard work though...wish I could assist ya on anything to bring that engine faster than ever. And its must sad to see that the WebOS team(people who should be porting this engine, they don't care anymore) leaving the community to fix everything that they seem to be lazy for that. Seeing this action from HP, makes we doubt the future of the Open WebOS operating system....
Old 10/19/2012, 04:52 PM   #53 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
So that must mean that we still gonna have that slow, never properly rendering website old webkit engine from 2009...it's SAD

Dkirker, Thanks for your hard work though...wish I could assist ya on anything to bring that engine faster than ever. And its must sad to see that the WebOS team(people who should be porting this engine, they don't care anymore) leaving the community to fix everything that they seem to be lazy for that. Seeing this action from HP, makes we doubt the future of the Open WebOS operating system....
I wouldn't necessarily doubt the future of open webOS. The source code is out there. The people I am working with, webOS-Ports, is actively bringing it to life. It may never have a viable commercial future, but... that isn't the point, IMO (at least not for me). I want an OS that works for me, and I can get under the hood of and fix when something goes wrong (for instance, that "Application Database is full" error, because I did file a bug at Palm for it, and it was promptly ignored).
Old 10/19/2012, 05:42 PM   #54 (permalink)

What I am wondering is if they will ever release the code for the phones. And if not, why?
Old 10/19/2012, 09:16 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
What I am wondering is if they will ever release the code for the phones. And if not, why?
They can't would guess just as a base it is OLD, then add to it the resources to once again go thru and remove the code/apps that are licensed.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/24/2012, 04:05 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily doubt the future of open webOS. The source code is out there. The people I am working with, webOS-Ports, is actively bringing it to life. It may never have a viable commercial future, but... that isn't the point, IMO (at least not for me). I want an OS that works for me, and I can get under the hood of and fix when something goes wrong (for instance, that "Application Database is full" error, because I did file a bug at Palm for it, and it was promptly ignored).
Well, you might not have any doubts about its future....but think a little closer and you could find some doubts when you consider the recent announcements coming out of HP with it's WebOS professional version sorta like Windows comparison with its Home or Office editions. I think in some ways it could create some sort of fragmentation much more than its happening on Android. I don't know if I'm looking into things the wrong way(or glass half-empty), but my best guess it would be not a good thing for WebOS....I think that should be only one version of WebOS not two or three or more just one.

And when you mentioned the source code being out there(to the public), that's fine and all. Yet, its a bit hard to understand of the benefits of it, since more developers are leaving the platforms into more greener pastures like Windows 8,BB 10. That sorta of begs the question on who it could benefit from those codes ? and how many developers are actually using those codes ?

I even have the SDK downloaded into my computer, but the more I look at it, the more it seems like paperweight to me. I wish that I could be like you[Dkirker], have the knowledge on how to code applications and make this OS work for me. Dream of it everyday, but sadly I don't know a thing about coding or making applications which truly stinks because i would like to make a web-browser that works the way I wanted it too....
Old 11/21/2012, 10:47 PM   #57 (permalink)
Banned

Is this still being worked on, or is all of dkirker's effort now on Isis?
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 03:32 AM   #58 (permalink)

Still working on Universe looking at trying to combine the efforts, though (as much as possible).
Old 11/28/2012, 07:30 PM   #59 (permalink)

Another must have (to me) is to have a button on the screen to jump to top and bottom of page. The unofficial webos news app implements this very nicely.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 11/29/2012, 11:52 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Another must have (to me) is to have a button on the screen to jump to top and bottom of page. The unofficial webos news app implements this very nicely.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Can that be achieve instead of placing button to do that functionality, use it with gestures ?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0