Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    CNN and IMdb appd on the TouchPad.

On the lates video here:

Just type, there are two new native apps: CNN and IMDb (latets movies trailers and guide) The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) on the TouchPad.

You sure those aren't just the search engines? I think you can add Just Type search engines from those sites.
    Yeah looks like they are just open search compatible websites, so they show up has search option when you 'just type'
    i'm pretty sure those are not apps. The title at the top says "Search Preferences" I think. I think they are just search plugins.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
    I have a question. Why do you need an app of websites? How is CNN app different than CNN.com? Does it do something different or its just adjusted to touch?
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    I have a question. Why do you need an app of websites? How is CNN app different than CNN.com? Does it do something different or its just adjusted to touch?
    You're going to make some Ipad owner mad by asking this asking. CNN has said that they want their app on all mobile platforms. However, I see your point. This is all apart of the appification of America. I think that some people forget that apps such as CNN are mirrors in some way of the CNN website. I suspect that CNN initially created an app in part due to the format of their website. I'm not sure, but it may contain a large amount of Flash and that will not work for Idevices. So you create a app so that it works.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    The difference is navigation. Less pinch and zoom. The 3 F's: Fat Finger Friendly. Presentation. No little URL links to click on.
    On the TouchPad "just type" video, there is a CNN app, about 13 seconds into the video.

This would not be surprising to me because CNN is owned by TimeWarner which was one of the presenting partners at the Feb 9th event.

Of course, the CNN app could still just be redirecting to the mobile site but if so, why you make an app for it.

I'm almost positive you're looking at the preference settings for Just Type searches. If you notice the App and Web blue listings to the far right. Attached is a screenshot of my Pre running WebOS 2.1 with the Just Type preferences screen.

Here's some interesting related information. When I first looked this up because I thought that's what the OP picture may be, CNN and Amazon were not on my list. I added them, but when I went to the Add More Searches screen, those two were listed under as "FEATURED WEB SEARCH ENGINES". I'm not saying they weren't there before, but I don't remember seeing them there.

Screen shot is after I added them. Notice the similarity. I suspect the OP screenshot was the WebOS 3.0 version of the Just Type search preferences.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have a question. Why do you need an app of websites?

Because consumers want the option to use an app or not. It's irrelevant whether everyone will use it or wants to use an app or that you can achieve the same thing another way. Enough want them to matter. A product maker can satisfy the consumers or not. But if they choose not to then customers will look elsewhere for something that satisfies there wants. But you're never going to win customers by trying to convince them they don't want what they want.

How is CNN app different than CNN.com?
    Notifications of breaking news even when the app is closed. I don't think cnn.com does that.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 06/11/2011 at 03:12 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  11.    #11  
    The question is if Twitter is native app integrated on webOS and Amazon is native app as well, arenīt then CNN and IMDb native ones or just "appear" a very defined logo when using just type. ?
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    The question is if Twitter is native app integrated on webOS and Amazon is native app as well, arenīt then CNN and IMDb native ones or just "appear" a very defined logo when using just type. ?
    Just now noticed. It's very blurry, but in the screenshot you provided, it definitely says "Search Preferences" in the top right hand corner.

This is the screen that allows you to set your preferences. Both CNN and Amazon apeear to say "Web" instead of "App" (though that's even harder to read). If that's what they say, that means the user is using CNN and Amazon's web sites as part of their Just Type search preferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm almost positive you're looking at the preference settings for Just Type searches. If you notice the App and Web blue listings to the far right. Attached is a screenshot of my Pre running WebOS 2.1 with the Just Type preferences screen.
    Did you look at the video I posted, not the one the OP posted? It shows TouchPad launcher page with a bunch of apps, one of them is CNN.
    I still don't see it in the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Did you look at the video I posted, not the one the OP posted? It shows TouchPad launcher page with a bunch of apps, one of them is CNN.
    I didn't see it.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    I didn't see it.
    Pause it on the 13th second right before he goes to the launcher page where there is the sparkle app and the sports illustrated app. Right before that is a launcher page with a bunch of apps including CNN, he zips by this so fast that it is hard to see it unless you pause exactly on the 13th second.
    Youtube is your friend:

The difference? An experience that is tailored for your specific device.
    Pause it on the 13th second right before he goes to the launcher page where there is the sparkle app and the sports illustrated app. Right before that is a launcher page with a bunch of apps including CNN, he zips by this so fast that it is hard to see it unless you pause exactly on the 13th second.
    I still don't see it Screenshot??
  19.    #19  
    bluenote would you pls link again the video you are mentioning and the title of it. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    I still don't see it Screenshot??
    My bad, it says SportsIllustrated, I could have sworn I looked at the screen several hours ago and there was a CNN app there, must have been in the sun too long. Still I would not be surprised if we got one, seeing that Time showed up at the Feb 9th event.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast