Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else already, but the one thing I can't figure out about the touchpad is how switching apps will work. None of the new videos seem to address this either.

    Without a gesture area, what is the process for switching between open applications? Is there a "quick switch" option that doesn't require going into card view? That has always been my favorite part of the pre - being able to quickly go between apps is something no other os has. Even Apple allows you to quickly go to a menu and open another app (really not that different from going to card view and selecting an already open app, though larger apps may take longer to load in the apple version, i guess)

    Any insight on this?

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    There is still a Home button, and pressing that will minimize the currently open app and put it into card view.

    There may be other ways to access card mode, I'm sure more information will be available as the release date nears.

    Life moves fast, Don't miss a thing.
  3. #3  
    I don't think the advanced gestures will be continued, although I too loved doing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
  4. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #4  
    app to app switching was seen in one of the leaked beta videos
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    app to app switching was seen in one of the leaked beta videos
    can you point to that video and/or tell us how it's done on the TouchPad? i had forgotten about this until this thread came up, don't recall ever seeing how it would be accomplished on the TouchPad, and would like to know as well. thx.
  6. #6  
    i wanna say i have seen a two finger gesture in for switching apps on ios...

    but yea advance gestures will be missed on the Touchpad...and seeing that they have added the up swipe gesture from any orientation w/out a dedicated gesture area, i dont see why they couldnt implement a smiliar gesture from the side like the playbook(not sure if it was only possible w/ the keyboard and mouse when connected to a tv though)

    yes webos is the only device that has the quick switch/advance gesture on a phone, but i wanna say playbook has it(maybe if only when attached to a tv..i think) and ios showed it w/ a two finger gesture on an ipad

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrdangelo View Post
    Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else already, but the one thing I can't figure out about the touchpad is how switching apps will work. None of the new videos seem to address this either.

    Without a gesture area, what is the process for switching between open applications? Is there a "quick switch" option that doesn't require going into card view? That has always been my favorite part of the pre - being able to quickly go between apps is something no other os has. Even Apple allows you to quickly go to a menu and open another app (really not that different from going to card view and selecting an already open app, though larger apps may take longer to load in the apple version, i guess)

    Any insight on this?

    Thanks!
  7. #7  
    I use advanced gestures all the time. It's kind of funny how it's not turned on by default. Whenever I get a chance I turn on advanced gestures on the display phones if I am at a retail store. I will also miss the quick access to the Wave Bar. I would think this is another option that would be easy to implement sense HP has now included up swipe.
  8. #8  
    I've got a feeling more gestures will come back.

    The video that shows the up swipe mentioned how missed the 'up swipe' was in the demos on 2.9. I'm thinking other gestures wouldn't be much different to add. I guess will have to see. Using two fingers or low on the screen side to side would make sense to me.
  9. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    can you point to that video and/or tell us how it's done on the TouchPad? i had forgotten about this until this thread came up, don't recall ever seeing how it would be accomplished on the TouchPad, and would like to know as well. thx.
    I think the beta vid has been taken down. It was running on a pc so no way to tell how to do it on a TouchPad.
  10. #10  
    Swipe up from any appllication and card view pops up.

    This was just reintroduced and deonstrated by the WebOS product manager.

    We have links here to that video.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Swipe up from any appllication and card view pops up.

    This was just reintroduced and deonstrated by the WebOS product manager.

    We have links here to that video.
    That's not what the O.P. was asking, and what I was re-asking. The advanced gesture is when you can go from one card to another WITHOUT having to go into card view. On all phones, this is accomplished by first enabling advanced gesture in the preferences, and then doing a full swipe in either directions in the gesture area.

    What the O.P. and I would like to find out, if someone has the information, is how to accomplish the same behavior in the TouchPad.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    That's not what the O.P. was asking, and what I was re-asking. The advanced gesture is when you can go from one card to another WITHOUT having to go into card view. On all phones, this is accomplished by first enabling advanced gesture in the preferences, and then doing a full swipe in either directions in the gesture area.

    What the O.P. and I would like to find out, if someone has the information, is how to accomplish the same behavior in the TouchPad.
    I would assume this would have to be accomplished by using two fingers to swipe the current page to the next in the card cue. Apple currently has this option in their beta multi gesturing. I would hope HP can use this type of functionality as well.
  13. #13  
    I think they showed this in windows 8 where a swipe from the side changed apps. I can see how this can be implemented easily on Touchpad, however HP has NOT shown how you can do that.
  14. #14  
    HP brought back the swipe up gesture w/o having a gesture area. There's no reason they can allow a sideswipe to switch apps, just like the playbook. I'm sure enough chatter will convince them to include it, if they haven't already.
  15. #15  
    since there is no back gesture on touchpad I suppose they could use that for switching between apps fullscreen, as doing a full gesture as opposed to half would be kinda ackward on a device that big.

    Anyway I think with a lot of cards open, swiping between them could become a chore. I think in addition they should have icons at the bottom like windows on a pc
  16. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #16  
    i dont think HP wants to use 2 finger swipe because in the future some apps may use that feature.... but hopefully then can come up with something creative
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    That's not what the O.P. was asking, and what I was re-asking. The advanced gesture is when you can go from one card to another WITHOUT having to go into card view. On all phones, this is accomplished by first enabling advanced gesture in the preferences, and then doing a full swipe in either directions in the gesture area.

    What the O.P. and I would like to find out, if someone has the information, is how to accomplish the same behavior in the TouchPad.
    Ah, I understand now, thankyou for clarifying.

    So, my thoughts are, I don't think this will happen - side swiping left to right are often recognized gestures inside of an application (think deleting an email or call from your call log), and could get very confusing, and possibly misfire, quickly.

    To be honest, swiping up and then selecting the card app I need has always worked very well for me, even with 15 apps open at once, so, Id not need this option, myself, and, I think if I were to use it, Id likely lose my place, not knowing/remembering what applications lie next to eachother, or the order they appear on my device in card view..

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  18. #18  
    @LCGUY. Try using it. It is wonderful. Take an email you are replying to and place it next to one being composed. Then you can open the original, copy a portion > 'full swipe' > paste, comment >full swipe back' copy more, and so on! You have totally missed out on a wonderful part of webOS!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post

    So, my thoughts are, I don't think this will happen - side swiping left to right are often recognized gestures inside of an application (think deleting an email or call from your call log), and could get very confusing, and possibly misfire, quickly.
    As seen with the return of the up gesture, webOS can recognise gestures that originate from the bezel separately from actions that happen INSIDE the app. Using this there's no reason (that I can see) why they can't allow two finger from the bezel, and still allow developers to use multitouch gestures inside their apps.
  20. JLegacy's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    #20  
    They need a pull a RIM and copy how RIM does app switching on the Playbook. Swipe on either side of the screen to switch apps.

    Then while HP's at it, they should add a feature like Snap in Windows 8. :3
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

    If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions