1.    #1  
    I've yet to use e-books, but am looking to buy some titles soon to use mostly on TP and occasionally PC, maybe even light use on Pre.
    I've reviewed Kindle, and they are supposed to have a TP app, plus they have PC app. Thinking of starting with Kindle because of the large catalog, but don't really want to be tied down to one format.

Does it matter what ebook format? I.e. do they all have apps or can be read via web?

What's eye strain like on Tablet compared to e-ink readers? Or is there really a difference?
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    I've yet to use e-books, but am looking to buy some titles soon to use mostly on TP and occasionally PC, maybe even light use on Pre.
    I've reviewed Kindle, and they are supposed to have a TP app, plus they have PC app. Thinking of starting with Kindle because of the large catalog, but don't really want to be tied down to one format.

Does it matter what ebook format? I.e. do they all have apps or can be read via web?

What's eye strain like on Tablet compared to e-ink readers? Or is there really a difference?
    Kindle app will be available at launch. The nice thing with Kindle apps is they are all synched through your account. So, if you have Kindle app on PC, phone, touchpad, an actual kindle - they all stay synched. Start a chapter on one, stop and launch on another device and pick up where you left off. Nice really.

As a true reader, Kindle or Nook or other e-ink devices are probably the way to go. However, everyone I have spoken too seem to really enjoy the ereaders on tablets. On planes I see folks reading on their iPads. Word is eye strain is there - but again when talking with folks first hand, none have complained.

I plan to use the TouchPad as my primary reader as I don't see the purpose of carrying a TP and dedicated ebook reader around. If I find it a problem, then back to the used book store I guess.
    My priority would be pdfs... as long as it can read all kinds of pdfs, then that should be worth it.

Maybe if you drop the brightness to zero and keep the background white when reading during the day, and reverse that when reading at night, would help reduce eye strain. Well that's how I've been reading ebooks since the Palm IIIc though.

I just hope an orientation lock patch would be available (to prevent the screen from going to landscape mode) when reading in bed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    My priority would be pdfs... as long as it can read all kinds of pdfs, then that should be worth it.

Maybe if you drop the brightness to zero and keep the background white when reading during the day, and reverse that when reading at night, would help reduce eye strain. Well that's how I've been reading ebooks since the Palm IIIc though.

I just hope an orientation lock patch would be available (to prevent the screen from going to landscape mode) when reading in bed.
    agree - forgot to mention PDF format. I have a few books and all user guides in this format. works fine.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Given the numerous devices and readers I've used, I've found Calibre e-book Management software very handy. It's free, but there is an option to donate if you like.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post

I really need a reliable PDF reader, unlike what we had after the 1.4.5 update.

But for eBook reading, PDFs don't work as well as some other formats in my opinion because they do not reformat as well as font size changes. I prefer the ePub format used by Nook because there are several free sources for them (e.g. Project Gutenberg) in addition to major book stores (Barnes and Noble, Borders). I'm hoping that Nook will come up with an app that coordinates with their desktop and eReader apps.

As far as using a tablet as an eReader, I think I will still prefer my Nook. The eInk display is easy on the eyes without glare and the device weighs less that the coming Touchpad, so it is less tiring to hold for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I really need a reliable PDF reader, unlike what we had after the 1.4.5 update.

But for eBook reading, PDFs don't work as well as some other formats in my opinion because they do not reformat as well as font size changes.
    That is because PDFs are not meant for eBooks. PDF format is a page layout format, not an eBook format. In other words, PDFs are not meant to be resized or have the text re-flowed.

I prefer ePub format for eBooks, as it is the closest thing we have to a universal standard.
    PDF reading and annotating is key for me, its my number one use for my current iPad 1. I hope HP has a good solution for this, as I would love to give the iPad to my wife and try out this tablet.

In my 5 months living with the iPad, I really have to say that I haven't found the app catalog to be all that great. Looking forward to some real business oriented apps from HP and it's partners.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    From someone who uses a dedicated e-ink e-reader (Kindle 2), I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by downgrading to an LCD screen from e-ink. E-ink is truly beautiful. It's SO easy to read and very nice and comfortable for prolonged periods of time.

That being said, I would STRONGLY recommend Calibre as per nyallj's suggestion. It's wonderful for converting to any file format that is possible. There is, of course, some formatting lost in the conversion, but its very much worth it. I have converted PDFs into epub (generic e-book format) with this software, and aside from some tables that got reformatted to awkward paragraphs, it worked perfectly.

As for the Touchpad, there will definitely be orientation lock and i'm sure it will support most (if not a lot of common) e-book formats. Even if it only supports one or two, Calibre can take care of all your e-books and convert them to a format you can use. I guarantee it.
    There's nothing wrong with the Kindle itself, but personally I hate the Kindle's file formats. They're clearly designed for mostly plain-text, without much formatting. (And in fact one of them is just an extension of the really old Palm plain-text Mobipocket stuff).

I'm really hoping (though I doubt it'll happen right away) that we get a Nook app so that I can read ePubs, that's the best format for reading right now.
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mclark2112 View Post
    In my 5 months living with the iPad, I really have to say that I haven't found the app catalog to be all that great. Looking forward to some real business oriented apps from HP and it's partners.
    BUT THERE ARE THOUSAND AND THOUSANDS OF APPS-- I downloaded like 15 fart apps on my wife's iPod toutch... and every time I go in the apple store I do that same thing to theirs if the app cat is open.

The citrix demos on the TP are super nice. Also I dont care if they dont have 1000's of apps- as in Android etc you need 45 apps to make the damn thing work the way you want it to- as with WebOS IT JUST WORKS PROPERLY FROM THE GET GO
    I didnt read all of the replies but I will say this, I have a nook account (B&N) and I used that when I had the iphone4/ipad combo because it was not as proprietary as Kindle. B&N supports the industry standard format (epub) with this format you can go to most third party book dealers (even though B&N has the largest catalogue period.). Unfortunately Kindle does not support that format.

I could be wrong here, but using the kindle app will only let you read .pdf and .ktd (whatever format is their own). Take my info with a grain of salt, as I'm to lazy to refresh the knowledge I learned about a year ago. I just really hope I can download all my nook-books and read them on my TP!
    While we are talking e-books. Can any of you recommend the best ePub format capable reader for the Pre? (It seems like there are only two)
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    While we are talking e-books. Can any of you recommend the best ePub format capable reader for the Pre? (It seems like there are only two)
    I always use pReader
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
    I always use pReader
    Have you used any of the others? Why do you like pReader over the others?

Thanks,

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Have you used any of the others? Why do you like pReader over the others?

Thanks,

C
    pReader is awesome and let's you read everything instead of just one format. It will also allow you to buy mobi books and download directly to device. There are other formats that load directly to the device, but since I started downloading and converting B & N and Kindle books, I stopped using the other sites.

In addition, the developer provides great support. I have used one of the others, but I don't even remember which app it was. Of course I started with the reader that came with the Pre(Kobo), but the prices and selection on Kindle and Nook beat everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post

Unfortunately, both of the major providers here (Amazon and B&N) do tie you somewhat to their format because of the DRM/protection issues. As others have said, there are converters like Calibre that let you work around this, but for the most part you should probably chose one. As much as I detest Amazons policy here, I ended up buying a Kindle 3 (which I like very much). My wife just got a color Nook, which also seems quite nice. Tough to really say one is "better" than the other. Both companies have multiple apps, but I'm not sure about B&N on webOS (although you can convert, and I believe pReader might work).

LCDs should be fine for reading and not cause eye strain if you keep the brightness down to match the surrounding light. I believe the eye strain issue was mostly marketing by the e-ink sellers. The downside is battery life, the upside is you don't need external light at night.