Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just noticed in the long HP Discover video Tim mentions @ 13:00 that there is no dedicated Youtube app they just go out to web site.

I thought I saw a Youtube icon in other videos, maybe if there was one its just a bookmark to site.
    On a touchpad size device, I would just go to the site instead of using an app any way, to be honest.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    he is talking about the demo build he is showing in that video, and not saying anything about what it will have when it ships.
    I swore he mentioned that they would just use the site instead of trying to keep updating an app. Thought that made sense. I'd like to be able to comment/like/share features anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    he is talking about the demo build he is showing in that video, and not saying anything about what it will have when it ships.
    He specially called out google and said HP doesn't want to keep on building apps for them and there will be no youtube app and you will just have to use the website
    I'd prefer going to the site anyway. I think our app kinda sucks anyway.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    He specially called out google and said HP doesn't want to keep on building apps for them and there will be no youtube app and you will just have to use the website
    im not a big you-tube-r. But I think its a bad decision. Adobe Flash 10.3, if looks anything like I see on android tablet, is not good enough.
    YT also supports html5 so that's not even an issue. Even the iPad can use the normal YT page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    How do you know...?

Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    YT also supports html5 so that's not even an issue. Even the iPad can use the normal YT page.
    It will only have acceptable performance if touchpad has chip that decode webM at hardware level, which is unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    It will only have acceptable performance if touchpad has chip that decode webM at hardware level, which is unlikely.
    I would hope that HP would optimize it to run well if there isn't going to be an app.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    It does. The Snapdragon APQ8060 can decode 1080P with Dolby 5.1. I'm sure it can breeze through YouTube videos on the 1024x768 screen in stereo.
    Last edited by RafRol; 06/10/2011 at 12:41 AM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    I'm a huge YouTube user and I've never found an app that's not disappointing as far as content management goes. I mainly use the browser to manage my YouTube account on the iPad, and the experience is not ideal. The lack of Flash is an obvious obstacle (apparently not everything on YT is HTML5-compliant, or Mobile Safari isn't, or something). If the TP handles it better, it will be a big incentive for me to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    Actually that is a good point...HP isn't saying it, but they sure are implying their not behind Google that much anymore. Anyone know if webOS 3.0 and the Touchpad have moved to Bing for built-in map navigation? Interesting! Sorli...
    I'm sure it won't be long before video repository accounts will be incorporated into HP Synergy, as well. In that case, there won't be a need for a dedicated YT app, but the the videos app might be extended or a multimedia app created to bring them all together.

At least, that's how I'd design it.

Quote Originally Posted by richip View Post
    I'm sure it won't be long before video repository accounts will be incorporated into HP Synergy, as well. In that case, there won't be a need for a dedicated YT app, but the the videos app might be extended or a multimedia app created to bring them all together.

At least, that's how I'd design it.
    Oh I hope so, I so want HP to make everything they do incorporate Synergy in some form and fashion. Would love to access Youtube, Vimeo, Hulu, Netflix, CBS, etc all from the same interface and not have to think about which app to use.

So many of my friends say all the time, they hate web apps and if their isn't an iPhone app for it they won't use it. Time to bring out the big guns and make webOS Video Synergy provide everything from one interface...if not now then later. Sorli...
    Yeah, with everything going cloudy lately it won't be anything for them to allow you to pull in content you want to watch into your own private patch of cloud. Then regardless of what format is being used they could play it back and stream it to you in whatever format they desire.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Oh I hope so, I so want HP to make everything they do incorporate Synergy in some form and fashion. Would love to access Youtube, Vimeo, Hulu, Netflix, CBS, etc all from the same interface and not have to think about which app to use.

So many of my friends say all the time, they hate web apps and if their isn't an iPhone app for it they won't use it. Time to bring out the big guns and make webOS Video Synergy provide everything from one interface...if not now then later. Sorli...
    Now THIS is thinking beyond. I hope this is what they're gonna do instead of just a YouTube app
    Microsoft is trying this with windows phone 7 with hubs and finding companies like having there own app icon on the phone.

For synergy to scoop youtube videos HP would indeed be doing google work again.. Not app side but serverside. The then of something didn't work hp gets the customer blame.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    846 Global Posts
    YouTube app across platforms is a perfect example how nonintegrated and weak mobile experience still is. And that's why we got "everything is about apps", when for a single simple task or a need you need a different app.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast