Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    It does. The Snapdragon APQ8060 can decode 1080P with Dolby 5.1. I'm sure it can breeze through YouTube videos on the 1024x768 screen in stereo.
    maybe, thats different codec tho, it may not mean much on a webM.

But i guess this all HTML5 talk is meaningless since we know there will be flash.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Actually that is a good point...HP isn't saying it, but they sure are implying their not behind Google that much anymore. Anyone know if webOS 3.0 and the Touchpad have moved to Bing for built-in map navigation? Interesting! Sorli...
    yes bing is now the official map guide for webos... google is trying to pull an apple or something. they think they are the internet and everyone should think and do as they do and if u have some disagreement they use theyre bully tactics to send u off on ure way. new androids can no longer sync with facebook too by the way....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    maybe, thats different codec tho, it may not mean much on a webM.

But i guess this all HTML5 talk is meaningless since we know there will be flash.
    You're right, it is a different codec. It's free, I would imaging HP just needs to develop a plugin for WebOS and call it a day.

Even Adobe is changing it's tune regarding HTML5 though.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    honestly think this is the right choice. We dont need an app if the webpage works well. Dont waste resources on things that do not need it. Better webpages>apps for webpages.

I would not take android flash performance and compare it to touchpad performance. Flash works quite well on the Pre2 and while not webOS the Playbook also handles flash really well.
    Performance aside, no one here is concerned about the impact on battery life that Flash will have? Especially those that are heavy YouTube users?

Besides, I think YouTube will recognize the TouchPad as a mobile device and serve HTML 5 content as opposed to Flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Now THIS is thinking beyond. I hope this is what they're gonna do instead of just a YouTube app
    Video Synergy and Music Synergy would be a key differentiator and outclass anything Apple has to offer. If I were HP, I would have as many dedicated staff necessary to pull this off quickly. This the is type of feature that the average joe would appreciate. Also instead of having a kindle app, develop Book Synergy so that you could read content from all major providors.
    Quote Originally Posted by empathyrus View Post
    Video Synergy and Music Synergy would be a key differentiator and outclass anything Apple has to offer. If I were HP, I would have as many dedicated staff necessary to pull this off quickly. This the is type of feature that the average joe would appreciate. Also instead of having a kindle app, develop Book Synergy so that you could read content from all major providors.
    If services like Hulu can't have an all-encompassing video service, I HIGHLY doubt HP will be able to pull it off. The ball isn't in HP's hands here, it's in Hollywood's — they control where and how their content is distributed.

The same with music; it took Apple how long and how much money to get all the labels to hop on board with their new iCloud service? And that's most likely due to their strength and success with iTunes.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    The same with music; it took Apple how long and how much money to get all the labels to hop on board with their new iCloud service? And that's most likely due to their strength and success with iTunes.
    It may cost them a bit more too.
    NNJ
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    It may cost them a bit more too.
    Remember the Tiger Direct suit?
    If services like Hulu can't have an all-encompassing video service, I HIGHLY doubt HP will be able to pull it off. The ball isn't in HP's hands here, it's in Hollywood's they control where and how their content is distributed.

I wouldn't be too worried about HP being able to make deals with the labels and studios. Bc according a article from Reuters this past weekend, HP is negotiations with the labels for music and it appears that the labels are more than happy to deal with HP. We saw at the Feb 9 event that HP already had Dreamworks on board for movies and most likely more studios are on board. Apparently HP is adept at being able to get studios on board and the music labels are willing to deal. I wouldn't rule out music and movie synergy.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    How about using the web browser? Or is this old fashioned and every website needs to an app? Just sayin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Juize View Post
    How about using the web browser? Or is this old fashioned and every website needs to an app? Just sayin'
    Which reminds me...when is Google going to bring its new youtube web experience to webOS? I heard last summer last summer ago.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    As an iPad user, I despise the YouTube app.

Using YouTube in the browser is a much better experience and makes total sense. Youtube apps are good for phones, but not for tablets.

I wouldn't concern yourself about the lack of a YouTube app. I'm forced to use the YouTube mobile site on my iPad and that is still much better than using any app, so being able to use the desktop version on Touchpad will make YouTube in a browser even more of a no-brainer.

Not sure how WebOS would handle it, but my iPad forces me to open the YT app when I click a YT link which is awfully annoying when I'd much rather use the browser.

In summary - don't concern yourselves!

EDIT: Likewise Facebook. There's a reason Facebook haven't developed apps for tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Which reminds me...when is Google going to bring its new youtube web experience to webOS? I heard last summer last summer ago.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Does WebOS support HTML5, the new mobile YouTube is built on that I guess, seeing as my WIndows Phone 7 is still stuck with the old YT mobile until the Mango update.
    Touchpad does support HTML 5.

However, we've sadly learned that claiming to support HTML 5 can mean many things and there are many degrees of support. The Pre 3, technically, supported aspects of HTML 5 from day one.
    Honestly only Android's Youtube app is great, even on iPhone i'd rather go to the site than use the app. No surprise though I mean of course Google is saving their best versions of their apps for themselves.
    So, since HP opted to go pure-web for YouTube, will it load the mobile friendly (which is touch-driven) site or the full-fledged desktop version which isn't exactly designed for touch controls?

Many people said the same thing about Facebook on the iPad; why do you need a native app when you have a fully capable browser? They've since changed their tune when they realize how unfriendly the Facebook site is with a touch device. Trying to interact with certain UI elements is a pain and unintuitive on sites that were designed for a desktop browser.

Here's to hoping they at least load the mobile version of YouTube by default. It will do the average user a favor.
    Last edited by barkerja; 06/15/2011 at 11:48 PM.
    So, since HP opted to go pure-web for YouTube, will it load the mobile friendly (which is touch-driven) site or the full-fledged desktop version which isn't exactly designed for touch controls?
    That's not really up to HP. Youtube would have to detect the touchpad browser and serve up a different website for it. Or, you could go to the url to the mobile site.

Many people said the same thing about Facebook on the iPad; why do you need a native app when you have a fully capable browser? They've since changed their tune when they realize how unfriendly the Facebook site is with a touch device. Trying to interact with certain UI elements is a pain and unintuitive on sites that were designed for a desktop browser.
    There is a Facebook app for Touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by empathyrus View Post
    Yes I hope and pray HP doesnt limit themeselves getting stuck on Kindle only since not everyone uses Kindle and the Nook just snagged 24% of the book market.

Synergy in webOS should have a dedicated developer forum here on P|C or on HP to suggest extensions in Pictures, Music, Video, and eReaders. These are great questions, but I suspect HP doesnot have time to read these Forums. Sorli...
    And it's entirely impossible to optimize webpages so they will work well on touch input browsers.

We're seeing a lot of mobile apps that only exist because iPhone can't run flash, and because other platforms need an app for it if the iPhone has an app for it (because the iPhone will be "superior" otherwise) - and a lot of mobile apps coded for many platforms, in many manhours of development, that could have been implemented as touch-friendly websites much more easily, quickly and cheaply... but weren't, because "we totally need an app maaaan, because a website without an app is like so 2000s".
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast