Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    TouchPad running SAP BO from Amazon cloud, rendering in Flash, very smooth, at the HP Discover 2011.

BO= Business Objects

SAP is the company from which Leo Apotheker came from to HP. It is a software company essentialy for business apps and more.

I am learning as you in this one . I will try to give you the most I can about BO Business Objects. Meanwhile enjoy the video here bellow:

Dashboard: Merchandising, store apps, category manager, demand beta, point of sale.

Alerts about: Merchandise ,Gross Margin ,Transactions Volume , Lost Sales, Out of stock rate, Return Average basket

SAP Business Objects Link: http://www.sap.com/solutions/sapbusi...ards/index.epx

BO Pdfs: http://download.sap.com/download.epd...407270EEBDE423

http://download.sap.com/download.epd...8D7C8CF4D107A9
    Last edited by akitayo; 06/08/2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: more information
    is it me, or is there no sound in the vid?

edit: its me
    I'm getting sound.

And that pinch-zoom was really smooth. Me likey.
  4. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    TouchPad running SAP BO.

BO= Business Objects

SAP is the company from which Leo Apotheker came from to HP. It is a software company essentialy for business apps and more.

I am learning as you in this one . I will try to give you the most I can about BO Business Objects. Meanwhile enjoy the video here bellow:

Thanks Akitayo

I used BO about 9 years back.Its analytical reporting tool. Sort of slicing the data by a particular dimension.

SAP keeps transactional data i.e. transactions related to sales,purchase orders along with keeping the ledger which consists of payables,receivable.... so on.

If you want to see analytical reporting , like how much did I pay to vendors every quarter or what was the salary expenses year over year you need a special aggregated data and a tool to run reports. BO does that.

In summary I can tell you this feature is most important to the finance types in every enterprise. I would love to see them integrating SAP with Touchpad to the maximum extent. ORACLE , OTOH has a competing product ORACLE APPLICATIONS (consisting of financials for the most part) to SAP, which is not really SAP quality. ORACLE is improving their package with every release.

Given the situation between ORACLE and HP, I can clearly see HP going SAP way.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post

The video has sound . I tested it again.
  6. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    In addition BO can be used to report analysis on variety of data. Like sales over a period of time (quarter to quarter), Demand, Expenses, Cost of materials, ..... the list goes on.

If HP can marry SAP Servers and Touchpad via Cloud with simple user interface ( Like Apple simple ) they found a gold mine.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Between this and Citrix, I think HP will have a strong contender in the enterprise market. Does anyone know if the iPad offers these two?
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post

sound is ok in video.

This all looks fine and interesting. Sap implementation sounds great, but any form of Sap implementation is extremely pricey, so I guess managers will stick to reporting services they already have. This feature will not bust sales in millions. Also will not Citrix receiver or cisco VPN.
    Good old RDP compatible client over basic VPN would bring more users than this.
    Last edited by chalx; 06/08/2011 at 05:17 PM.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    sound is ok in video.

This all looks fine and interesting. Sap implementation sounds great, but any form of Sap implementation is extremely pricey, so I guess managers will stick to reporting services they already have.
    You have to have existing installation of SAP for BO to run. This is not for new enterprise customers. This is for folks like IBM,GE,Exxon..... who use SAP to run their financials i.e General Ledger and reporting.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    Between this and Citrix, I think HP will have a strong contender in the enterprise market. Does anyone know if the iPad offers these two?
    iPad offers citrix as far as I know.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Thanks Akitayo

I used BO about 9 years back.Its analytical reporting tool. Sort of slicing the data by a particular dimension.

SAP keeps transactional data i.e. transactions related to sales,purchase orders along with keeping the ledger which consists of payables,receivable.... so on.

If you want to see analytical reporting , like how much did I pay to vendors every quarter or what was the salary expenses year over year you need a special aggregated data and a tool to run reports. BO does that.

In summary I can tell you this feature is most important to the finance types in every enterprise. I would love to see them integrating SAP with Touchpad to the maximum extent. ORACLE , OTOH has a competing product ORACLE APPLICATIONS (consisting of financials for the most part) to SAP, which is not really SAP quality. ORACLE is improving their package with every release.

Given the situation between ORACLE and HP, I can clearly see HP going SAP way.
    Thanks If you can give us a little more about it, after watching the video, would be great. And also if you have a link for BO. Thanks.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Last edited by gbp; 06/08/2011 at 10:54 PM.
    The idea, from what I understood from watching the opening night of HP Discover, is that you are actually crunching the data on the huge cloud servers so therefore you can quickly calculate tons of information and metrics in a way that could not been done before all this computing power.
    The TouchPad then is the display that draws the final results down from the servers.
    iPad offers citrix as far as I know.
    Citrix Systems » Business solutions for iPad Citrix Receiver
    You have to have existing installation of SAP for BO to run. This is not for new enterprise customers. This is for folks like IBM,GE,Exxon..... who use SAP to run their financials i.e General Ledger and reporting.
    I know, but Sap consultants will have to configure BO on TP at what charge?

Their working hour is expensive like hell.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    The idea, from what I understood from watching the opening night of HP Discover, is that you are actually crunching the data on the huge cloud servers so therefore you can quickly calculate tons of information and metrics in a way that could not been done before all this computing power.
    The TouchPad then is the display that draws the final results down from the servers.
    Actually is reported that is using the Amazon cloud on this video ?
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    I know, but Sap consultants will have to configure BO on TP at what charge?

Their working hour is expensive like hell.
    true , the consultant rates for SAP are high. I suspect that you don't need extra configuration for BO on Touchpad. If you can use VPN , you are in the network of the company implementing SAP. After that a simple web based Dashboard would work. I doubt they did a client (App) for Touchpad.
  18.    #18  
    SAP Hana also has been demoed at the HP Discover 2011 on the TouchPad

What is it ?

SAP In-Memory Computing
    BETTER INSIGHT FASTER WITH THE SAP IN-MEMORY APPLIANCE (SAP HANA)

Centerpoint Energy RUNS BETTER with SAP ERP

One of the key challenges faced by organizations of any size and any industry is managing and analyzing the soaring quantity of data, and harnessing that information to improve the business. IT is challenged by the high costs associated with the purchase and maintenance of hardware needed to accommodate large data volumes, while business users need quick access to information and analytics in order to react to changing market conditions.

SAP has always understood this challenge and has reacted by developing in-memory solutions that specifically address the need to analyze large data volumes while reducing IT costs.

SAP is evolving its in-memory technology with the introduction of SAP In-Memory Appliance (SAP HANA) software, a flexible, multipurpose, data-source agnostic in-memory appliance that combines SAP software components optimized on hardware provided and delivered by SAP leading hardware partners.

SAP HANA can enable organizations to analyze business operations based on large volumes of detailed information as it develops. Organizations can instantly explore and analyze all of their transactional and analytical data from virtually any data source in real time. Operational data is captured in memory as business happens, and flexible views expose analytic information at the speed of thought. External data can be added to analytic models to expand analysis across the entire organization.
    Real Information, Real Action, Real Customer Benefits

Make better decisions faster with new ways to look at your business based on instant, intuitive access to relevant information, along with greater ease of collaboration.

Enable innovative new applications combining high volume transactions with analytics to dramatically improve existing planning, forecasting, pricing optimization, and other processes.

Accelerate business performance while reducing TCO with less hardware, maintenance, and testing based on proven tools that are intuitive to implement whether delivered on-demand or via appliances.

Source: http://www.sap.com/platform/in-memor...ance/index.epx
    PDF: http://download.sap.com/download.epd...964833D0B0983D

Last edited by akitayo; 06/08/2011 at 06:31 PM.
    true , the consultant rates for SAP are high. I suspect that you don't need extra configuration for BO on Touchpad. If you can use VPN , you are in the network of the company implementing SAP. After that a simple web based Dashboard would work. I doubt they did a client (App) for Touchpad.
    That makes sense. Also would be great if Leo manage to make agreement with Sap by which they would offer TouchPads as remote access tool for Sap BO.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    They were running a webapp in the touchpad browser, not a native client.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast