Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r...n_my_apps.html

The app inflow has started...now it really seems, that the launch is imminent!
    Nice! Good find.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Awesome
    how easy is it to develop for 3.0 with just an emulator when you dont have access to hardware?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    I can't say for sure, but I developed for the Pre using the emulator a lot and it was fine. That said, there are certain things that you really want to test on the device itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by rot View Post
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r...n_my_apps.html

The app inflow has started...now it really seems, that the launch is imminent!
    I guess I don't completely understand how these apps are going to work. I thought all webOS apps would scale based on the device using them. So any app for the Touchpad would be available for the phones also. The larger screen may show a different layout than the smaller screen but they would be the same app. Thus once you download the app once, you'd have it on all webOS devices attatched to your Palm profile.

Now wouldn't all that mean that the Touchpad was already going to have thousands of apps upon launch (every app already available for the Pre and Pixi/Veer)?
    For you awesome developers out there who have already started developing in Enyo, can you tell me how much easier it is for a noob like me to get the hang of it? I've been dabbing in Mojo for quite a long time and am now seriously pursuing Enyo. Any great reference guides, tutorials, or info that popped out to you?
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by Evorgleb View Post
    I guess I don't completely understand how these apps are going to work. I thought all webOS apps would scale based on the device using them. So any app for the Touchpad would be available for the phones also. The larger screen may show a different layout than the smaller screen but they would be the same app. Thus once you download the app once, you'd have it on all webOS devices attatched to your Palm profile.

Now wouldn't all that mean that the Touchpad was already going to have thousands of apps upon launch (every app already available for the Pre and Pixi/Veer)?
    The scaling of apps is for apps made with Enyo, which requires webOS 3.0. In a few months when 3.0 is on the Pre 2, Veer, Pre 3 and TouchPad they will scale depending on your device. For now apps made for the phones will run in an emulator on the TouchPad (or in expanded view for PDK apps). Apps made for the TouchPad will not work on the phones until they receive the 3.0 update in the coming months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
    For you awesome developers out there who have already started developing in Enyo, can you tell me how much easier it is for a noob like me to get the hang of it? I've been dabbing in Mojo for quite a long time and am now seriously pursuing Enyo. Any great reference guides, tutorials, or info that popped out to you?
    I would like to know this as well.

I've pretty much got the basics of Mojo down P A T, but it's taking me a while to finish my app. I keep running into brick hurdles..
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Let me put this to rest.

First before going forward, native apps for WebOS 1.0 and 2.0 were called Mojo.

Native apps for WebOS 3.0 are called Enyo.

They are two different frameworks, although both based off of Web standards, Enyo just uses newer web standards and object oriented programming which is much nicer to code with. Keeps things organized and nice and tidy. Plus you only write a line of code once if its referenced in different areas. Simplicity.

As with all technologies that push new envelopes, there are compatibility issues.

Mojo (WebOS 1.0 and 2.0) apps WILL work on the touchpad. Mojo apps were always designed to scale, as they are based off of HTML and are not pre-compiled. Anything that isnt pre-compiled has the advantage of modifying itself in real time to work on a specific device. The disadvantage is speed. But its not as simple as that.

While things scale, when Mojo was written, tablets werent on the mind. It was 2009, tablets were not even popular tech speak then. You cant expect something to miraculously work with tech that hasnt even been invented yet.

That being said, Mojo apps WILL scale.

However, since WebOS 3.0 apps are written different and use different standards that werent even out when Mojo was made, there are obviously going to be inconsistencies. So, it has to emulate certian processes and API's that Mojo apps use. Its not full emulation, think of it like using WINE on Linux.

Mojo apps will scale to fullscreen if you want, but for apps that weren't made with 1024X768 resolution in mind, clearly things will look a bit "janky". You just cant magically expect all the CSS to know where to align things on a bigger screen. There will be spaces and big gaps between things.

Hence HP is giving you a "smartphone" view as well if that is what you prefer so if you want it to look perfect. Trust me though, in fullscreen it will look much better than the pixelly blown up iphone apps.

Finally, there is no gesture area on the Touchpad. While the above issues are expected as no one foresaw where WebOS was going in the future, this issue is the only one I kinda feel was a stupid thing.

I understand no gesture area as a stylistic choice (its kinda awkward to have a HUGE 9" gesture bar imo) HP saying that full screen Mojo apps will need to be re-written to have back buttons because there is no gesture area is silly.

If you can put a gesture area emulated on the smartphone view, just make a black strip at the bottom of the app in fullscreen for a gesture area as well. Duh...

Im sure some homebrewer will make a patch for that though. homebrew fixes all of Palms and HP's mistakes... haha.

this will be the case after the phones receive the update enabling them to run enyo apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    this will be the case after the phones receive the update enabling them to run enyo apps.
    see and I was thinking that HP would be able to claim to have a Facebook app for Touchpad (which iPad does not) since the one for Pre would just scale up.. Oh well. Maybe Palm is working on a Facebook app for Enyo also just so they can make that claim
    I got slammed by at least 3 emails requesting Developer status and updates on webOS 3.0 apps and I'm sure I'm not alone. Shame I'm not a better programmer and I would love to have something interesting by mid June when I suspect things will kick into high gear when it comes to the Touchpad. Sorli...
    see and I was thinking that HP would be able to claim to have a Facebook app for Touchpad (which iPad does not) since the one for Pre would just scale up.. Oh well. Maybe Palm is working on a Facebook app for Enyo also just so they can make that claim
    Why would you want a FB app for the TouchPad? The website will be fully functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Why would you want a FB app for the TouchPad? The website will be fully functional.
    Well, there is one thing you still need an app for: uploading photos. Not having file upload capabilities in the browser has been very frustrating since Android added that feature. They haven't built enough custom image upload functions into webOS yet to not need that functionality in the browser. Fortunately, Facebook is one of the few you can directly upload to. I forget - does Facebook have an upload-via-email feature like Flickr and Picasa?

I experienced one other thing on the full website last night that does not work on the Pre: dragging to crop your profile pic when setting a new one. I couldn't skip that step because the initial crop region was too small. I had to switch to the touch site which doesn't have that feature and just uses the whole pic.

Other than that, the full website is very functional even on the Pre. I just hope they make the needed improvements to the browser, not just on the Touchpad but the phones too.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    I got slammed by at least 3 emails requesting Developer status and updates on webOS 3.0 apps and I'm sure I'm not alone. Shame I'm not a better programmer and I would love to have something interesting by mid June when I suspect things will kick into high gear when it comes to the Touchpad. Sorli...
    Me too. Unfortunately I've been too busy to get anything ready.
    TouchPad versions for both my apps are en-route (submitted)!
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    Palm did say on twitter that they are working on a new facebook app. they didnt specify whether it was Enyo or not, but one can assume. i too would rather have an app than use the facebook page, because over the years the facebook site has become a mess to navigate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Well, there is one thing you still need an app for: uploading photos. Not having file upload capabilities in the browser has been very frustrating since Android added that feature. They haven't built enough custom image upload functions into webOS yet to not need that functionality in the browser. Fortunately, Facebook is one of the few you can directly upload to. I forget - does Facebook have an upload-via-email feature like Flickr and Picasa?

I experienced one other thing on the full website last night that does not work on the Pre: dragging to crop your profile pic when setting a new one. I couldn't skip that step because the initial crop region was too small. I had to switch to the touch site which doesn't have that feature and just uses the whole pic.

Other than that, the full website is very functional even on the Pre. I just hope they make the needed improvements to the browser, not just on the Touchpad but the phones too.
    I would hope the browser is fully functional, but we will have to wait and see, I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Mojo apps will scale to fullscreen if you want
    Is this 'you' the end-user, or the developer though?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast