Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yesterday I got an email from Rovio Support indicating that no future releases would occur for Pre Plus, Pre, Pixi and Pixi Plus devices. In truth I think this was directed to webOS 1.x but it was phrased as device specific.

In the email they alluded to problems on Pre2's as well but these were surmountable. They did not mention the Veer or the Pre3.

The actual email text is below:
    Code:
    Rovio Contact, May-26 14:12 (EEST):

Hello, and thanks for contacting us.
    The situation is that both Palm Pixi and Palm Pre devices have firmware issues which prevent latest versions of Angry Birds running properly.  Unfortunately we have had to conclude not to support Palm Pixi and Palm Pre 1 anymore. There will be no more updates for those devices. 

The good thing is that when Palm is starting to roll out new devices, we will be able to support them all. We are also able to support Palm Pre 2 but the updates will take some more time to be released due to the devices firmware reasons. 

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Angry Birds Team

[My original Question]
    After applying the updates for Angry Birds (1.5.3) & Angry Birds Seasons (1.3.0) I realized that the Seasons app lost 'Seasons' in the app name which means the two apps do not both show up on a 'Just Search' typed search. 

Also in device menu both show as Angry Birds w/different version numbers. Can this be fixed?
    I can't blame them for dropping support. I couldn't enjoy Angry Birds on my Pre - unless it was overclocked to 1Ghz any way.
    So aside from the naming issues, has anyone actually had problems with the apps?
    So have you fixed your original issue yourself Unclevanya?
    The Angry Birds Seasons app has never had the name Seasons in it. If it said Seasons before, you stuck it in there yourself by modifying the appinfo.json (which is overwritten every time you update).
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    ... (which is overwritten every time you update).
    Sounds like that won't be a problem anymore...
    On a Pre - with 256mb RAM I do notice some hickups and sound distortions with ABS and ABR that I dont get with my 512mb RAM devices like the Pre 2 and even my Sprint Pre plus.

Oh Snap this means my wife wont get the next update for Rio so I guess I'll be making another Sprint Pre 2 this weekend.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    So have you fixed your original issue yourself Unclevanya?
    No.
  9.    #9  
    The Angry Birds Seasons app has never had the name Seasons in it. If it said Seasons before, you stuck it in there yourself by modifying the appinfo.json (which is overwritten every time you update).
    I can without any doubt state that I didn't change that .json and prior to the update I could differentiate the two apps using Just Type and I'm fairly certain it said Seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Yesterday I got an email from Rovio Support indicating that no future releases would occur for Pre Plus, Pre, Pixi and Pixi Plus devices. In truth I think this was directed to webOS 1.x but it was phrased as device specific.

In the email they alluded to problems on Pre2's as well but these were surmountable. They did not mention the Veer or the Pre3.

The actual email text is below:
    Code:
    Rovio Contact, May-26 14:12 (EEST):

Hello, and thanks for contacting us.
    The situation is that both Palm Pixi and Palm Pre devices have firmware issues which prevent latest versions of Angry Birds running properly.  Unfortunately we have had to conclude not to support Palm Pixi and Palm Pre 1 anymore. There will be no more updates for those devices. 

The good thing is that when Palm is starting to roll out new devices, we will be able to support them all. We are also able to support Palm Pre 2 but the updates will take some more time to be released due to the devices firmware reasons. 

Best regards,

Angry Birds Team

[My original Question]
    After applying the updates for Angry Birds (1.5.3) & Angry Birds Seasons (1.3.0) I realized that the Seasons app lost 'Seasons' in the app name which means the two apps do not both show up on a 'Just Search' typed search. 

Also in device menu both show as Angry Birds w/different version numbers. Can this be fixed?
    I got the same:

"Rovio Contact, May-26 13:56 (EEST):

Hello,

and thanks for contacting us.

The situation is that both Palm Pixi and Palm Pre devices have firmware issues which prevent latest versions of Angry Birds running properly.

Unfortunately we have had to conclude not to support Palm Pixi and Palm Pre 1 anymore. There will be no more updates for those devices.

Best regards,

Nina
    Angry Birds Team"

"Looks" like a form letter.
    I think they're alluding to webos 2.2 or 3.0 which is to support pre 2 and up. It actually runs decent on pre minus w uberkernel even a pre running webos 2.1. Oh well time to move on, can't blame them...they prob gots a touchpad version coming out tooo.....
    I would hope that that just means they cannot release updates for 1.4.5. The Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi and Pixi Plus will not be getting any more updates. Rovio or any other developer cant suggest meta doctoring to play their games just like HP cant and wont. Im hoping that 2.1 is still in line for updates. We'll see as time goes on.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    I think they're alluding to webos 2.2 or 3.0 which is to support pre 2 and up. It actually runs decent on pre minus w uberkernel even a pre running webos 2.1. Oh well time to move on, can't blame them...they prob gots a touchpad version coming out tooo.....
    I guess - but earlier this year they made a great deal of noise about how their cross platform development model would allow them to release on webOS at the same time as other OS's - wouldn't this just be one additional version? Given the size of the webOS consumer base - and the fact that I would say most of us are on 1.4.x why abandon the platfom? I realize we're small potatoes compared to Android and iOS (ad revenue)... I'm just disappointed.

I wish they were more forthright in their explanation. I would love to understand how much negative impact they really have from 1.4.x - and if HP is pressuring groups to move to 2.x / 3.x only apps with incentives.

Personally - this news means I will not be buying RIO - I hadn't because I was still trying to get around to finishing finding some golden egg levels and mastering some older levels - but now I see no point in it.
  14.    #14  
    Does anyone else agree with this? I personally do not and would like confirmation from anyone else that they remember this used to work with Just Type...
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Does anyone else agree with this? I personally do not and would like confirmation from anyone else that they remember this used to work with Just Type...
    I do remember when I originally installed Seasons the first day it was available on webos it did show Seasons below it. Once we got an update from Rovio it changed to just Angry Birds.

I have now manually changed my app name, but I do remember wondering where the Seasons part of the name went...
    I have had the app since the first release. It has never said it. It remember changing it the first day, which was quicker then because I was on 1.4.5 and could just use the Advanced Configuration for App Launcher patch to do the job without having to mess with the appinfo.json. Now maybe they released an update that I missed that changed it to Angry Bird Seasons and a subsequent update that removed it. Maybe depending on if you had the original Angry Birds installed it behaved differently. But I can say that I every time I have had to update the app (what's it been, Christmas, Valentine's, St Patrick's, and Easter), I've had to change the app title so it didn't get confused with the original.

As I told someone else, you can email Rovio and ask them to change it before they update it (and watch them not change it before they update it) or you can stop waiting on Rovio and change the appinfo.json yourself. It only takes a minute.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  17.    #17  
    I have had the app since the first release. It has never said it. It remember changing it the first day, which was quicker then because I was on 1.4.5 and could just use the Advanced Configuration for App Launcher patch to do the job without having to mess with the appinfo.json. Now maybe they released an update that I missed that changed it to Angry Bird Seasons and a subsequent update that removed it. Maybe depending on if you had the original Angry Birds installed it behaved differently. But I can say that I every time I have had to update the app (what's it been, Christmas, Valentine's, St Patrick's, and Easter), I've had to change the app title so it didn't get confused with the original.

As I told someone else, you can email Rovio and ask them to change it before they update it (and watch them not change it before they update it) or you can stop waiting on Rovio and change the appinfo.json yourself. It only takes a minute.
    I'm sorry but I didn't even know that editing the appinfo was possible and I am 99.999% certain this did show up with Seasons name when I first loaded it. I know it wasn't due to mods on my end. I'm curious what other users recall. So far we have one other person who recalls it was there...

One thing I hate about these cloud type systems. I'd like to be able to go back and pull up the old version and check - but I see no way to do so.
    I'm sorry but I didn't even know that editing the appinfo was possible and I am 99.999% certain this did show up with Seasons name when I first loaded it. I know it wasn't due to mods on my end. I'm curious what other users recall. So far we have one other person who recalls it was there...
    I am curious as well. Personally, having had to go through the steps myself each release, I don't trust those recollections. Like I said, it may vary depending on which Angry Birds apps you have installed how webOS handles Rovio's oversight, but I am pretty much 99% certain that the appinfo.json has been incorrectly labeled as Angry Birds since release and 100% certain it is labeled incorrectly on 1.3.0 and 1.4.0.

{
    "id": "com.rovio.angrybirdsseasons",
    "version": "1.4.0",
    "vendor": "Rovio Mobile Ltd.",
    "type": "pdk",
    "main": "angrybirdsseasons",
    "title": "Angry Birds", <--CHANGE THIS LINE. Use Internalz and stick Seasons before the quotation marks. Luna restart.
    "icon": "icon.png",
    "requiredMemory": 64
    }
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Well, the good news is that we should have Angry Birds right away whenever the TP and Pre3 get here -- no waiting it looks like.
  20.    #20  
    "title": "Angry Birds", <--CHANGE THIS LINE. Use Internalz and stick Seasons before the quotation marks. Luna restart.
    To clarify is this what the line would look like after modification?

"title": "Angry Birds Seasons"

I ask because there were two sets of quotation marks and I misread what you said at first and thought you meant to put it like this:

"title": Seasons "Angry Birds"

However after reflection that didn't make any sense and I assume you are saying that inside the second set of quotation marks I should add my additional text.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast