Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    How will the Touch Pad work as an e-reader?
    Poorly, most likely...due to the eye strain of staring at an LCD screen for long periods of time and the (likely) poor viewing quality in sunlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by shinerb View Post
    How will the Touch Pad work as an e-reader?
    i would imagine it would work just fine...
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    Well, when I posted this I thought it might not be a good question. After 2 responses from one end of the spectrum to the other maybe it was a good one.

How do you get books onto the device? Too early to know how this would work at this point?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I believe HP is currently working with Amazon with getting the Kindle software onto the TouchPad. I don't have a link, but this is what was announced last.

EDIT: Here we are, a link from the Think Beyond event - http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/09/h...ng-kindle-app/

I would assume it would act as the Kindle does.
    Global Posts
    150 Global Posts
    linkblc.....exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks! (I ran a search that came up empty so you knew right how to find what I couldn't)
    If you want an ereader stick with a dedicated ereader that isn't backlit. Right now the Kindle 3 is the best on the market.
    I've read two or three books on my iPad via Kindle. It's a fine experience.
    Hopefully the tp doesn't die while reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by shinerb View Post
    Well, when I posted this I thought it might not be a good question. After 2 responses from one end of the spectrum to the other maybe it was a good one.

How do you get books onto the device? Too early to know how this would work at this point?
    Just as you would on an ipad. They'll have the kindle app.

I'm sure it'll project fine just like it does on the other tablets.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    It should be fine - I see a lot of people reading on iPads. If you mainly want a Touchpad for other reasons, but with occasional reading, the Kindle app should be just the ticket. But if reading is the main thing you want to do, buy a dedicated electronic paper form reader.
    I'd rather have a Nook app, since I have a number of Barnes & Noble ebooks. But there will hopefully be some third party eReaders that handle ePub format.

Personally, I prefer the eInk on the Nook to the glare of any gorilla glass screen. But the TouchPad should be fine for people who only want one device.
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    The screen is key to avoiding eye strain. The Kindle itself is excellent for this.

The Nook is pretty good, it is an IPS display if I remember right. And of course the iPAD has its screen.

Basically the quality of the screen will be key... but that's going to be key for a lot of things.
    I thought that the Kurzweil Blio was going to be preloaded on the Touchpad?
    Tablets are ok for occasional reading, but don't forget battery life. A dedicated ereader like the Kindle will last you about 3-4 weeks on one charge which means you can take it with you without ever having to worry about charging it. The most you will get out of a tablet is about 12 hours. You can also can't read in sunlight very well with a tablet, whereas its easier to read eink under sunlight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Tablets are ok for occasional reading, but don't forget battery life. A dedicated ereader like the Kindle will last you about 3-4 weeks on one charge which means you can take it with you without ever having to worry about charging it. The most you will get out of a tablet is about 12 hours. You can also can't read in sunlight very well with a tablet, whereas its easier to read eink under sunlight.
    If all you're doing on your tablet is reading, you can get MUCH more than 12 hours. With the iPad, I can go a week or longer in between charges if I don't do much more than reading and casual internet browsing.

If I watch movies, etc. then I'm looking at charging every couple of days.

Also, some readers have "night mode" which change the background to a dark color and text to a light color; this makes reading outdoors much easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I'd rather have a Nook app, since I have a number of Barnes & Noble ebooks. But there will hopefully be some third party eReaders that handle ePub format.

Personally, I prefer the eInk on the Nook to the glare of any gorilla glass screen. But the TouchPad should be fine for people who only want one device.
    Would be nice, the wife has a nook, and would be nice to be able to use her content on the tablet.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Im game for ebooks on my Touchpad

I don't care about reading outside for I'm doing other things when I'm outside. No way in he!! will I waste good weather reading.
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I think it will perform horribly as an eReader. Atleast from the demos they showed, there was a lot of lag on turning pages. Who wants to work with a crappy interface like that when you got the ipad2 with a crisp interface.

And the new Nook wipes the floor with every other eReader out there in terms of battery life. I think they said it will last for 2 months or something like that. 150 hours with a page turn every minute.

I dont think outside reading is really a big factor. Kindle has tried to play that card ever since ipad came out and we know how that has worked out so far.
    i'll use it as my e-reader. the touchpad is a reason i have not purchased a kindle, nook, etc yet. not going to carry both devices around
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast