Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by donjt81 View Post
    I think it will perform horribly as an eReader. Atleast from the demos they showed, there was a lot of lag on turning pages. Who wants to work with a crappy interface like that when you got the ipad2 with a crisp interface.
    Oh, you mean the nearly-4-month-old demo showing an un-optimized, almost-beta version of webOS 3.0?

Yeah, I'm sure the shipping version will be just like that.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Quote Originally Posted by linkblc View Post
    I believe HP is currently working with Amazon with getting the Kindle software onto the TouchPad. I don't have a link, but this is what was announced last.
    Someone in a separate thread mentioned HP should work with Amazon to have webOS or webOS lite power the next gen of Kindle. I think that's a terrific idea to quickly gain market share/awareness. Amazon could well be a willing partner too as it tries to catch up with Nook on building a more multi-purpose device.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    Someone in a separate thread mentioned HP should work with Amazon to have webOS or webOS lite power the next gen of Kindle. I think that's a terrific idea to quickly gain market share/awareness. Amazon could well be a willing partner too as it tries to catch up with Nook on building a more multi-purpose device.
    I don't think Amazon's vision for an e-reader includes it being multipurpose. That's probably why they're working on a separate, Android-based device (tablet, smartphone, etc.)
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I don't think Amazon's vision for an e-reader includes it being multipurpose. That's probably why they're working on a separate, Android-based device (tablet, smartphone, etc.)
    Hm, not sure if they want to be just another new entrant in a very crowded market.
    I would think they want to build on their strength.
    Last edited by rickwestland; 05/27/2011 at 04:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickwestland View Post
    Hm, not sure if they want to be just another new entrant to a very crowed market.
    I would think they want to build on their strength.
    Amazon is in a better position than most. They could very well end up being Apples biggest competitor, in the long run.

Amazon is close to having everything it needs for its own ecosystem: music storage, document/photo storage, video rental/purchase, music purchase, app store (Android), etc.
    I have been avoiding the book apps until I get a tablet, which I expect to be the HP Touchpad because I really like the WebOS system as opposed to the others I've seen including ipad. So I have a few "beginner" questions if anyone will indulge.

1) I will use the reader for textbooks that have pages that are in color - are the reader apps (kindle, nook, etc.) supportive of color and text pages?

2) I really want my tablet to replace my paper newspaper, specifically the WSJ and LA Times. Do I need an app for each and will they be soaking me again (I already pay for the hard copy WSJ and wsj.com)?

3) How easy is it to get other subscriptions (such as magazine titles)? Will I be limited because some publishers will not have WebOS apps like they do Ipad?

Ultimately, I'd like to replace my several paper mags with electronic subscriptions. Now is the time it is starting to look like that is feasible.

Thanks!
    A device that can do more than perform as ereader if infinitely more valuable to me. I read mostly in bed at night. I don't anticipate any issues with screen quality and the battery claims that some of you make for Kindle are way out of proportion to actual use. Eventually, these tablets will be able to handle every format and will make for competition between B & N and Amazon.
    Can you change the background in the Kindle app? Because if you are reading off white words on a dark grey lcd screen, eye strain isn't a big deal...to me anyway.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12