Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    It's the same with offering Cisco VPN and not offering PPTP VPN, doesn't make sense!
    Absolutely agreed!
    Global Posts
    46 Global Posts
    Well, HP is sponsoring the BYO Experience booth but no touchpad in sight, just some goofy slate 500 devices. Ah well.

The version of Receiver that they showed was beta, unreleased and no date specified but I will assume that since the Touchpad will be here in the Sumer timeframe that the Receiver will be as well.

They also demo'd running Android apps on a PC with full touch capabilities and Mac OSX virtual desktops. Very cool stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    You are entitled to your own opinion. This probably isn't the right place to get into this discussion.

However, I can't completely ignore what you've said. I used to feel the same way.

We are just finishing up our third year with the MacBooks. Since we've started, student standardized test scores have increased, discipline issues have gone down and communication between staff, students and parents has also increased.

As far as cost. When you compair the price of text books for a student in six to eight different classes a day computers don't actually cost much more. Sometimes the technology is less expensive than texts and the information is always current. 1:1 technology initiatives cost about the same as a school lunch for each student each day.

Now back to the topic at hand.
    I agree completely! There is much more to the word 'cost' than just the money aspect. Too many people will go cheap in an effort to save money (lower 'cost') but in doing so would make things much less effective or sacrifice the added intangible benefits (increasing overall 'cost').

I proposed 'netbooks' for all students in our district and was told it cost too much. In the mean time, there is a lingering issue with missing assignments, parents who do not have computers and cannot access grades or assignments, etc.

Just say'n...
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    I hate to say this but you do not need to waste money on mac books or touchpads for your students, books and paper are much cheaper.
    really? last i checked (recent grad) buying a laptop and ebooks was exponetially cheaper than buying books and paper.
    This is why I'm ****ed that there is still no RDP solution which in many cases could offer a cheap or free equivalency to Citrix.

If HP want's the masses to adopt the TP and WebOS it better include RDP.
    Splashtop Remote is available in the app catalog now. It's better than LogMeIn on iOS or Android imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
    Splashtop Remote is available in the app catalog now. It's better than LogMeIn on iOS or Android imo.
    I've known about this and it certainly seems like a good app but it's a proprietary solution. You have to install their software on the machines you want to control first. That is fine for some people but being an IT consultant I'd rather not have to install additional software on all the nodes that I work on and most of all you never know when a new machine will pop up that needs attention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    really? last i checked (recent grad) buying a laptop and ebooks was exponetially cheaper than buying books and paper.
    The prices for college textbooks were insane 20 years ago and I'm sure nothing has really changed on that front. It had not so much to do with the cost of the materials as it did with the captive market that have to pay for the product.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
    Not. LogMeIn FTW. Out of all the RDs I have I place Splash in top 5, part do to function, the other price.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Not. LogMeIn FTW.
    Which is still not availble for Webos

If you think it should be let them know:
    LogMeIn client for Palm Pre - LogMeIn Community
    The IT guy here at work is at a Citrix presentation right now here in Canada, and they are showing videos of the TouchPad at work with Citrix...and NOT the iPad!! Good to see that Citrix is pumping the TouchPad as well!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Ok, lets just remember that using the Citrix Receiver allows you, most importantly, to RUN APPLICATIONS that are on your Citrix Server. I'm not sure about the desktop integration and remote access to the desktop, but this mostly for running all the apps a company has on the Citrix Server. So this is all about apps. Not remote control.

Offloading the processing power to allow the server to run the app is a perfect solution for the TP as the bulk of the processing happens on the server side and NOT on the TP itself.
    Since citrix is on board, anyone see anything about something for Go To Meeting?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzone View Post
    So if i want to try out new apps on Touchpad i need to connect to my companies IT data center????.........SOLD! this will be an instant hit /s
    Yep, that's what he said. He said that the only way to use new apps is by using the Citrix receiver. He said it right there ... um ... wait ... um

Seriously folks, when are some of you going to give it up. The desperation to complain about this device has breached the laughable level, and now folks are just looking silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    So this allows me to access files I have saved on the server and is also a virtual desktop of my PC or Mac.

- short is that what I'm seeing? -

Why I'm asking - I'm a teacher at a small rural school and sit on our technology team. We have MacBooks for every student in the district 5-12. We are looking at (thanks to me) replacing the MacBooks with TouchPads.

Does this help us or do you still need a tower or laptop to connect to? We don't want to add the TouchPad with the MacBook. We want to replace the MacBook with the TouchPad.

Thanks everyone,
    You would still need a server on which to run the Citrix system. The Citrix client essentially turns the device into a terminal connected to your server. The applications are running on the server, and you are "seeing" the virtualized desktop on your device.

I don't think it's a "drop and play" as you what you may think it is; That said, a team I was working on once went into a small school district that had a limited budget. We were really there for a different project, but one class that had a very small budget asked if we could make a recommendation for them. They had about a dozen 5 year old machines that really would not run the programs they needed (latest version of Office was the biggie). We dropped in a single server running Metaframe (the predessor to Citrix), and they were up and running.
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    I hate to say this but you do not need to waste money on mac books or touchpads for your students, books and paper are much cheaper.
    Excellent preparation for a world that only requires interaction through books and paper.

But that ain't this world. Computers may not have all the answers for education, but they are definitely a part of the program in today's world.
    You guys understand that you would need to run something like XenApp to access anything which cost's $600/per seat?
    I think a 5 user license is about $1200-$1300, including the terminal services license.
    This is why I'm ****ed that there is still no RDP solution which in many cases could offer a cheap or free equivalency to Citrix.

If HP want's the masses to adopt the TP and WebOS it better include RDP.
    It's sort of off-topic, but and RDP connection isn't free, unless it's one user to one computer (one could cheat, and allow two admin connections, but it's a violation of the TS license agreement).

But I agree, I hope we see an RDP client soon. However, I suspect the vendors involved have different motivation levels.

Citrix wants to be everywhere. They push the client for free everywhere, because they don't make enduser OS'.

Microsoft, on the other hand, is competition to devices like the TP. They don't want to develop something so you can use the competiton to access their servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Right, I also can't understand choice of more complex and less common Citrix solution over good old RDP!?
    Citrix can provide more users per server than an RDP session. Citrix allows virtualization of single applications, with RDP you have an entire desktop session running on the server. There are many other advantages, but that's a simple one to talk about quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Since citrix is on board, anyone see anything about something for Go To Meeting?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the GoToMeeting client is Java based. If so, you'll see a port to the TP pretty quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think the GoToMeeting client is Java based. If so, you'll see a port to the TP pretty quick.
    Cool, just know they've been pushing their iPad software hard, would be nice to hear HP/WebOS mixed in in those spots.

I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast