Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I have been experiencing some recent, very strange issues with Sprint Navigation. Sprint has tried to remedy these problems in multiple phone support calls and eventually replacement of my Pre phone. But the problems persist. I hope that someone here has seen something vaguely similar to my problems and that there may be a solution that Sprint is unaware of.

The problems started about a month ago. I was on my way to one of my customer's home. Even though I knew how to get there, I had recently discovered the option that allows Sprint Navigation to specify the "Fastest," "Shortest," "Prefer Streets," etc. So, I thought it might be worth checking to see if there was a shorter way to get to my destination. So, I fired up Sprint Nav, selected my client address via the Contacts option and then specified "Shortest."

Sure enough, SprintNav suggested that I turn off the interstate about 5 miles sooner than normal (to I-70 instead of I-255). So, I followed the directions and went on my way. After about 10 miles, I'm thinking that I should have already been instructed to make a turn. So, I picked up the phone and noticed that Sprint Navigation was telling me that I was more than 700 miles from my destination. When I retraced my SprintNav steps, I found that Sprint Nav should have been looking for 121 XXXXX Court in Glen Carbon,IL but was instead finding 121 XXXXX Way in Fairfax, VA. I went back to check via my Contacts app to ensure that the address for my client hadn't been changed or corrupted. But it was showing the correct address in Glen Carbon. When I retraced my steps in SprintNav, I noticed that when it was calculating the route and showing the progress bar, that the address above was showing the VA address.

I subsequently discovered that sometimes after specifying a Contact in SprintNav, the program would prompt me "Did You Mean?" with a list of anywhere from three to a dozen addresses that were roughly similar to my contact's street address, but with completely different cities from all across the country. Sometimes my contact's address would actually appear in this "Did You Mean" list, and sometimes it was not shown as an option.

FWIW, about 20% of the time, SprintNav finds the specified contact address, without any prompting or alternative city/state combinations.

I first tackled this problem with Sprint Customer Service by phone. They were very helpful, extremely patient, and incredibly persistent. We tried resetting various settings via the dialpad and then also did a complete wipe of the phone and then reload of my profile. But no joy, as I would reliably get the same flaky behavior with SprintNav.

Finally the Sprint phone CSR declared defeat and suggested that he would open a ticket on my issue. He suggested that I go to my local Sprint store, tell them there was a ticket associated with my account and to see if the local repair guys could figure out a solution. I did that, and they spent about 10 minutes on the problem before finally suggesting that there might be a hardware problem and recommended the phone be replaced by another Pre. They didn't have any Pres in inventory, but they ordered it and it was available in less than 48 hours. Kudos to Sprint for the effort here.

I picked up the phone replacement today and once it was refreshed with my Profile, I check to see if SprintNav worked correctly. I entered in my Glen Carbon client, but again it pointed me in the direction of Fairfax, VA.

I've since talked with the store staff by phone, followed by a lengthy conversation with Sprint Technical and the Advanced Technical groups. At the end of that, they were only able to suggest fixes that had been previously tried (resets, wipes, phone replacement). At this point, I escalated to Sprint Retention, and even though I am very near the end of my 2-year commitment, they did not seem interested enough in keeping me as a client to offer any reasonable "freebie upgrades." I ended up getting a partial month credit, but was told that this would not/could not be a recurring credit, regardless of whether Sprint fixed the issue or not. I can understand that, but I think it's very weak -- especially the rationale that because I don't pay specifically for SprintNav that it really wasn't something that could be addressed on a monthly basis.

So anyway, I am hoping that someone here has seen something similar to this, and that maybe there will be some ideas or suggestions that would eliminate the problem.

Anyone?

PS -- I have returned SprintNav to the default settings, so I have already determined that the problem is not related to the "Fastest/Shortest/etc" routing options.
    I have been using my Sprint Nav for almost 2 years and have never had these issues. I travel a lot in my line of work and use the Nav app all of the time, in fact used succesfully when i was working up in NoCal last week. I the only thing I can think is the GPS is not working correctly on your phone.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I have been using my Sprint Nav for almost 2 years and have never had these issues. I travel a lot in my line of work and use the Nav app all of the time, in fact used succesfully when i was working up in NoCal last week. I the only thing I can think is the GPS is not working correctly on your phone.
    I would think that Sprint would have checked this already. Also, this happened on a phone that I had been using for around 6 months without incident, as well as the replacement phone I received today.

Anyway, thanks for chiming in.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I'm not complaining about the lack of comment or follow-up on this -- I just find it very strange that it seems that I must be the only person having this problem (see original post above). I'm pretty unhappy about this as I travel around the country and am very dependent on Sprint Navigation for finding how to get to the homes of my customers. Now, it looks like I'll need to enter each address into the Favorites section via the Sprint web site.

I guess it could be worse -- it could be 1975, with no access at all to GPS info.

I don't want to wish this problem on anyone else, but it would be welcome news to hear someone else is having the same problem -- if only to improve the chances that it moves up the Sprint priority list and something is done to fix it.

I'd welcome any additional suggestions if anyone has any to offer...
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Have you tried using any other GPS based features of the phone or another mapping/navigation program such as Google Maps? If you have the problem with another program then I would say it is your GPS otherwise it is the Sprint Nav program.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I hadn't tried this previously, so I gave it a shot this morning.

I tried going to a contact and selected the address by clicking on it. When I did that, my Pre loaded Google Maps and then went directly to the correct location as shown in the selected contact. Using this same contact via the Contact option in Sprint Navigation ALWAYS results in Sprint Navigation selecting a location that hundreds of miles away from the correct location of the contact -- instead of finding a location for a Waterfall Court in Glen Carbon IL, it finds a Waterfall Court in Virginia..

I believe that this would indicate that the problem is not GPS-specific, but rather is directly related to Sprint Navigation.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any other ideas?
    Have you contacted Telenav? I sounds like your GPS itself is locating you correctly. Locating the wrong address is a geocoding issue, which is performed by the Telenav/Sprint Nav software.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    How would I contact Telenav? Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: Never mind -- I found their website and a support phone number. Thanks again.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Just a quick follow-up. I talked with Telenav support this morning and they took down the details of my issue and ultimately have escalated it to an internal engineering group.

I should be hearing something back from them by the end of the week, and I'll update any progress or solutions here.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
    I've been using Sprint Nav several times a week since Oct' 09 with nary an issue. I have seen that if an imported contacts address is not "formatted" correctly, SprintNav can behave a little weird.

How did the address info get into your contacts??
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    My Contacts are populated from my Google Mail account.

Also, like you, I used Sprint Navigation for roughly 22 months without an issue. The problem only started around 6 weeks ago.
    I may or may not of had a similar issue once before like this. Since then, I have been sure to always include the zip code in the address.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by runtimmyc View Post
    I may or may not of had a similar issue once before like this. Since then, I have been sure to always include the zip code in the address.
    Thanks for the additional info -- it's interesting to hear that someone else may have seen the same funky behavior.

But in all cases where this has happened, ZIP codes were included.

FWIW, I just received an eMail request from Telenav for specifics on the contact info and the incorrect destination address. Hopefully this will yield some info on what's causing the problem and how to fix it.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I am happy to see others have this same problem. I live in the Kansas City metro area, home town of our beloved or not carrier. When driving at night recently I got somewhat lost in an area of town I didn't know so I pull out my trusty Palm Pre, fire up Sprint Nav and tell it to take me home. It asks me "did you mean" and some address in PA or AR! I have tried this with several other contacts on my phone with similar results. I took my phone into the Sprint store today with no luck, I Doctored it this evening, and still get the same results.

Sprint's phone service was not helpful at all on this problem. I know the addresses in my contacts are correct, and they all have zip codes, or zip+4 codes. I check to make sure the last 5 digits of the zip+4 were not in the states it thinks I want to travel to and this was not the issue. I use my phone and GPS with the Smartrunner app to track walks and bike rides I do, and can certify that the GPS sensor is very accurate.

Dweil, any info you come accross will be extremely helpful as right now I am not getting anywhere with Sprint's customer service (any surprise there?!).
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    cptsales,

Thanks for posting about your experience -- at this point, it's just good to hear that there's someone else with the same problem. While Sprint was initially very helpful, in the end they gave up and refused to provide me with anything beyond a partial one-time credit. On my own initiative I then contacted Telenav, which makes and manages the Sprint Navigation app for Sprint. I will forward a link for your post to the guy who is coordinating my ticket on this at Telenav.

But first, let me ask you this -- Do you sometimes find that Sprint Navigation is taking you directly to an incorrect destination without first popping up the "Did You Mean?" screen with suggested addresses? I get directed to incorrect destinations without "Did You Mean" almost as frequently as with it.

As an example, I just recently sent Telenav detailed results of SprintNav searches for five customer locations on a recent business trip. I have redacted the street address numbers here for privacy reasons:

#1: xxxxx Gillespie Oak Drive, Lakeland, TN 38002

Via Favorites: SprintNav prompts me for Route Style, I select Fastest and SprintNav gets the address completely correct and produces correct instructions.

Via Contacts: SprintNav prompts me for Route Style, I select Fastest and SprintNav plays back the street address correctly but shows the city/state as Arlington, TN, but it produces the correct instructions (identical to Favorites instructions). FYI -- I've since learned that Lakeland and Arlington in TN share the same ZIP code.

#2: xxxxx Kathwood Drive, Columbia, SC 29206

Via Favorites: SprintNav prompts me for Route Style, I select Fastest and SprintNav gets the address completely correct and produces correct instructions.

Via Contacts: SprintNav prompts me for Route Style, I select Fastest and SprintNav gets the address completely correct and produces correct instructsions (identical to Favorites instructions)

#3: xxx Wallace Street, Franklinville, NC 27248

Via Contacts: SprintNav prompts me "Did You Mean?" and presents the following list (none of which is the correct address for the destination in Franklinville, NC):

xxx Wallace Dr
    McMurray, PA 15137

xxx Wallace Rd
    Memphis, TN 38117

xxx Wallace Dr
    Atlanta, GA 30354

xxx Wallace St
    San Antonio, TX 78237

#4: xxxx Middle Drive, Greensboro, NC 27409

Via Contacts: SprintNav prompts me for Route Style, I select Fastest and SprintNav proceeds to xxxx E Middle Rd in Dix, IL 62830 (and obviously produces incorrect instructions)

#5: xxx Audubon Drive, Greensboro, NC 27410

Via Contacts: SprintNav prompts me for Route Style, I select Fastest and SprintNav proceeds to Audubon Cir in North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582 (and obviously produces incorrect instructions)

Summary

Batting average: 2 for 5 (.400). That's excellent for baseball, not so good for arriving on time at customer appointments.

Thanks again for sharing and writing up your experience.
    Last edited by DWEIL; 06/30/2011 at 07:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #1: 6xxx W 50th Terr, Mission KS 66202 takes me to Holcomb KS 434 miles away

#2 7xxx S Emerson Cir Littleton CO 80122 takes me to Circleville OH

#3 13xxx W 105th Ter Lenexa KS 66215 takes me to Do You Mean several states IN, MN, NY, TX, ID, AR

#4 11xxxx Taylor ST Omaha NE 68164 to Do You Mean several states PA, SC, TN, IA, St Helena SC, TN, St Mathews SC, PAx4, OH

#5 9xx E 28th ST KC MO 64109 takes me to the desired destination!!!!

#6 7xx Berquist DR Baldwin MO 63011 to OH and WI

#7 14xxx Kessler ST Overland Park KS 66221 takes me to the desired destination!!!!

#8 9xxx Meadow Bend LN Houston TX 77065 to Linn Valley KS and Green Lane PA

#9 6xxx Kings Wood CT Sioux City IA 51106 to Willimantic Ct

#10 10300 View High Dr KC MO 63134 takes me to Fay Dr St Louis MO

This small spattering of my google contacts has me batting 1 for 5 (.200) so I would agree that this is not the desired outcome by any measurements!
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cptsales View Post
    #1: 6xxx W 50th Terr, Mission KS 66202 takes me to Holcomb KS 434 miles away

#2 7xxx S Emerson Cir Littleton CO 80122 takes me to Circleville OH

#3 13xxx W 105th Ter Lenexa KS 66215 takes me to Do You Mean several states IN, MN, NY, TX, ID, AR

#4 11xxxx Taylor ST Omaha NE 68164 to Do You Mean several states PA, SC, TN, IA, St Helena SC, TN, St Mathews SC, PAx4, OH

#5 9xx E 28th ST KC MO 64109 takes me to the desired destination!!!!

#6 7xx Berquist DR Baldwin MO 63011 to OH and WI

#7 14xxx Kessler ST Overland Park KS 66221 takes me to the desired destination!!!!

#8 9xxx Meadow Bend LN Houston TX 77065 to Linn Valley KS and Green Lane PA

#9 6xxx Kings Wood CT Sioux City IA 51106 to Willimantic Ct

#10 10300 View High Dr KC MO 63134 takes me to Fay Dr St Louis MO

This small spattering of my google contacts has me batting 1 for 5 (.200) so I would agree that this is not the desired outcome by any measurements!
    I forgot to mention that all of these tries were from my gmail contact list. When entering the address it is fine, just when a contact address is selected does it not know where to go.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I got an email response from Telenav that shed some light on the problem. I added USA to several contacts and that seems to fix the problem. I will have to go through 200+ Gmail contacts to update all of them with USA as the country code.

Telenave response:

Yes, we have tried both addresses, and they seem to pull up on our Online Maps, Find Your Location, and Driving Directions. website just fine. One thing I would like for you to do, is compare the addresses that are inputted in your device's contact, the ones working for you and that are not. See if there are a difference in the two, like:

1130 Kifer Rd., Sunnyvale, Ca
    1130 Kifer Road, Sunnyvale, Ca
    1130 Kifer Rd Sunnyvale Ca USA

The way it's typed could affect how it syncs with our application. Not that there's a problem with our application, but how it's reading the device's contact, due to format.

We had an incident years back, when Blackberrys were doing the same, and not working directly from contacts. Came to find out, some provided USA and some did not in their BB Contacts.

Should you have further questions, or need assistance, please contact us at 888-353-6282.