Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 63
  1.    #1  
    I still hope we end up getting it but news from Verizon is concerning. Essentially they are also going to meter data usage like AT&T.

    While Netflix would be a great app to have we're going to have to worry about data usage associated with it while on the go (wifi-tethered or 3G models).

    Sure if you are at home, on your own network, you wouldn't have to worry but there you'd probably rather watch movies on a larger screen. Netflix being such a large bandwidth hog, I already have to worry about this at home since my ISP started metering.

    Heavy Netflix, XBox live gaming and Orb streaming requires us to use our ISPs highest plan so we don't get charged overages. I can see users with low data plans incurring large charges once they discover Netflix on their mobile devices.

    For now sprint users that tether or, god-willing, Sprint 3G TouchPad users don't have to worry but I can see some shake-ups at Sprint too, now that the big 2 have switched to tiered systems.

    Will having to keep a closer watch on your data affect your Netflix usage?

    Do we really need Netflix, or do we just want it because the big boys already have it?
    Last edited by axoneill; 05/19/2011 at 09:48 PM. Reason: sp
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    There are a ton of use cases for video streaming like Netflix on wifi. You could be at work on your lunch break or after-hours. You could be babysitting or house-sitting at someone elses's house. You could be in bed while your spouse is trying to sleep. Your spouse could be watching sports on the TV and you are bored to tears. You're killing time at a McDonalds or Starbucks. You are in a hotel room with wifi.
    Yes it has its uses on wifi, but do/did you expect to use it frequently on 3G and will the crackdown on bandwidth effect you?

    P.S. I've never seen anyone sits in a McD's long enough to watch a movie, tv show, maybe
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  3. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #3  
    Only 7% of the USA uses Netflix. Netflix isn't important to the success of the TouchPad.

    Netflix tops Comcast as largest video subscription service - Apr. 25, 2011
  4. #4  
    Touchpad will mostly a home device, there is nothing it can do that a computer can't.

    If you were to go with the logic of necessity, then hp is in big trouble.
  5. #5  
    Netflix for me is a must have. I'm looking to replace my laptop with my future tablet device and netflix is something i use alot on my computer (at home and on the road).
  6. ijip's Avatar
    Posts
    885 Posts
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    #6  
    yes, netflix is a must for north america at least... 23 % of all interent traffic in NA is netflix.... dont worry though, i have it on good word one will be available =D
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    yes, netflix is a must for north america at least... 23 % of all interent traffic in NA is netflix.... dont worry though, i have it on good word one will be available =D
    If you were a hot girl and if this news was true I would kiss you
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  8. #8  
    yes. all apps are important. You want them all because people want different things. I don't use netflix but someone does. But i like what i like and if you cant deliver it i wouldn't buy it. that said i'm not really gonna buy any tablet.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Touchpad will mostly a home device, there is nothing it can do that a computer can't.

    If you were to go with the logic of necessity, then hp is in big trouble.
    What?? If you had to guess, what percentage of iPad or any tablet's users completely replaced their home computers?

    Not to beat a dead horse but if your argument had any merit the iPad would have been in "big trouble" from the start since one cannot access a good percentage of the internet without flash.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Only 7% of the USA uses Netflix. Netflix isn't important to the success of the TouchPad.

    Netflix tops Comcast as largest video subscription service - Apr. 25, 2011
    I can't comment on whether or not Netflix is important to the success of the Touchpad, but 7% is a HUGE number of Americans, huge!

    That's almost 22 million Americans and growing. If the HP can even get a minor piece of that market to buy a Touchpad, then they have a success on their hands.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    What?? If you had to guess, what percentage of iPad or any tablet's users completely replaced their home computers?

    Not to beat a dead horse but if your argument had any merit the iPad would have been in "big trouble" from the start since one cannot access a good percentage of the internet without flash.
    Thats exactly what im saying. Yeah its not practical, but large tablet itself isnt practical to begin with. They are selling for hypes now, and netflix is a big hype.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Thats exactly what im saying. Yeah its not practical, but large tablet itself isnt practical to begin with. They are selling for hypes now, and netflix is a big hype.
    That's the big boy's have it argument. I agree that we need a lot of big names, to generate hype if not actual usefulness. With other names is Netflix absolutely necessary?
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  13. #13  
    I'd rather have software like Splashtop that provides full access to my desktop for Netflix, Hulu, games, apps, or otherwise. Thankfully we already have this and from what I hear it works real well.

    Flash will also make a huge difference, but support for Netflix and other standard apps people expect on a tablet simply sets the standard. Sorli...
  14. jdmp10's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    #14  
    HP needs to shell out the initial investment of getting big name developers to make apps for webOS or else it will never succeed past the tiny market share it currently holds. HP can talk all they want about how the Touchpad is gonna be equally as strong in the enterprise world with there connections as it is to the general consumer but without heavy hitters on board (Netflix is currently one of them), they really have no chance of swaying potential buyers from even giving webOS a chance much less putting down the same money that can buy them an iPad.

    Everyone here knows webOS is great as a multi-tasking OS and in that respect no other OS can really compete with it head to head but this fact really only appeals to a tiny percentage of people out there that mostly being us (the tech. enthusiasts). The majority are attracted to apps and in Apple's case, ease of use. WebOS does excel in ease of use, just as much as iOS but obviously lacks the necessary apps most have come to get used to in the Android and iOS world.
  15. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by thermodynamic View Post
    I can't comment on whether or not Netflix is important to the success of the Touchpad, but 7% is a HUGE number of Americans, huge!

    That's almost 22 million Americans and growing. If the HP can even get a minor piece of that market to buy a Touchpad, then they have a success on their hands.
    Every app helps but people over-rate the importance of netflix here. A minor piece of the 93% who doesn't have netflix is important. Not having netflix doesn't mean the TouchPad will fail.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Every app helps but people over-rate the importance of netflix here. A minor piece of the 93% who doesn't have netflix is important. Not having netflix doesn't mean the TouchPad will fail.
    I don't think the other 93% of people are necessarily potential touchpad customers. A huge portion of the USA won't ever buy tablet(old people, people who's laptop/desktop is "good enough"). So you have to consider the population of potential tablet buyers. Of that population I think the % of netflix subscribers increases substantially.
  17. #17  
    I would like to see the numbers of netflix subscribers that own an apple device.

    YES netflix is VERY important to touchpad's success. So are the other big name apps.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  18. #18  
    My fiance refuses to have a tv in the bedroom, but we will (on the occasion) watch an episode on Hulu or catch a movie on Netflix on the iPad in bed; especially on those late rainy nights.. it's great, curl up in bed together with the cat & dog and watch the iPad in bed. It's perfect.
  19. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheX-Man View Post
    I don't think the other 93% of people are necessarily potential touchpad customers. A huge portion of the USA won't ever buy tablet(old people, people who's laptop/desktop is "good enough"). So you have to consider the population of potential tablet buyers. Of that population I think the % of netflix subscribers increases substantially.
    Let's not debate assumptions.

    People can claim netflix is important as much as they like. Without supporting evidence, it doesn't make it true.

    Here's another fact showing netflix isn't important on a tablet. The lowly apple tv has more netflix usage than the ipad.
    Users now watching more Netflix on Apple TV than on iPad | TiPb
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Let's not debate assumptions.

    People can claim netflix is important as much as they like. Without supporting evidence, it doesn't make it true.

    Here's another fact showing netflix isn't important on a tablet. The lowly apple tv has more netflix usage than the ipad.
    Users now watching more Netflix on Apple TV than on iPad | TiPb
    I think that rings true to the normal expectation. I don't expect the number of people that watch digital content on their mobile devices to be higher than those that watch on a television. However, that still begs the question: is the number that do watch on iPad's, cellphones, etc. a substantial number?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions