Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Check out Splashtop as an aternative to play on. One time purchase for much less and you can do a lot more with it.

Supposedly they support WebOS 2.1 too

-Suntan
    Eh, PlayOn's advantage is that you don't need to see your whole desktop and it has easy, quick access to internet media which is converts to the proper format for you device. Plus, it works on PS3/Wii/360, too. Splashtop is something else entirely, as a PlayOn user, I don't really consider it an alternative.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Along w/Netflix is Amazon Prime.
    Netflix is HELLA important for tablets!
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    As a user of both splashtop and play on, I can say that splashtop offers features that play on doesn't. Plus it is currenty a one time fee of $1.99 as opposed to $20 a year. Finally, the Play On browser flash interface does not support tabet resolutions very well. Resulting in blocky video.

Anyway, feel free to use whatever you want. If trying something different is too unsettling for you, that's cool.

-Suntan

Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Eh, PlayOn's advantage is that you don't need to see your whole desktop and it has easy, quick access to internet media which is converts to the proper format for you device. Plus, it works on PS3/Wii/360, too. Splashtop is something else entirely, as a PlayOn user, I don't really consider it an alternative.
    We have had nextflix for quite a while, my wife likes to get the DVDs and I stream all the time via a blu-ray player.

Since they got the Netflix app or Android, been using it on my EVO quite a bit, really works well.

After having Netflix on the EVO now for a bit, I would not get a tablet that did not have it as an option. Its just too nice and easy to watch a movie or TV show when you are stuck at an airport or somewhere. Even on the couch when the TV is occupied by someone else. Of course, battery life will also be an issue, I was surprised how it does not drain my phone that badly at all, so hope it will last on a tablet as well.
    Anyway, feel free to use whatever you want. If trying something different is too unsettling for you, that's cool.

-Suntan

Uh, I didn't say it was, just that it didn't suit my particular needs, but if you want to act childish, take it personally and make a pithy little comment about it, that's cool.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    As a user of both splashtop and play on, I can say that splashtop offers features that play on doesn't. Plus it is currenty a one time fee of $1.99 as opposed to $20 a year. Finally, the Play On browser flash interface does not support tabet resolutions very well. Resulting in blocky video.

-Suntan
    That's because Splashtop is a remote desktop client (which are quite often free and/or open source) and PlanOn is a digital media server/transcoder for DLNA clients. They're totally different.
    When I was speaking to my brother of why I thought the Touchpad would be better than the Ipad. His only response was no Netflix no tablet.

I don't think he is the only one. I believe Initial sales will be significantly different based on whether or not Netflix is offered. Even if later it's not used.
    Quote Originally Posted by riw View Post
    When I was speaking to my brother of why I thought the Touchpad would be better than the Ipad. His only response was no Netflix no tablet.

I don't think he is the only one. I believe Initial sales will be significantly different based on whether or not Netflix is offered. Even if later it's not used.
    It's interesting how important Netflix is to people, but then I simply ran out of things to watch and canceled my subscription.

For most people, I guess Netflix is the bar and anything less is just less. I also suspect HP knows this and has a plan...looks like they better in your brothers case. Sorli...
    I have splashtop, but don't really want to use it because it doesn't do any kind of encryption. I know encryption will slow down everything. So I don't think I can use remote access to do netflix.
    Right, sorry for throwing out a suggestion in case anyone might not have known about it.

I, and others, use splashtop to remotely watch video content that play on offers, as well as content that play on doesn't offer.

Again, sorry for pointing out other alternatives... Please return to the general grumblings about apps that WebOS doesn't have... No need to discuss anything else.

-Suntan
    not for me, yet anyways, here in the cold north of canada netflix's library is still lacking
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkOne View Post
    I still hope we end up getting it but news from Verizon is concerning. Essentially they are also going to meter data usage like AT&T.

While Netflix would be a great app to have we're going to have to worry about data usage associated with it while on the go (wifi-tethered or 3G models).

Sure if you are at home, on your own network, you wouldn't have to worry but there you'd probably rather watch movies on a larger screen. Netflix being such a large bandwidth hog, I already have to worry about this at home since my ISP started metering.

Heavy Netflix, XBox live gaming and Orb streaming requires us to use our ISPs highest plan so we don't get charged overages. I can see users with low data plans incurring large charges once they discover Netflix on their mobile devices.

For now sprint users that tether or, god-willing, Sprint 3G TouchPad users don't have to worry but I can see some shake-ups at Sprint too, now that the big 2 have switched to tiered systems.

Will having to keep a closer watch on your data affect your Netflix usage?

Do we really need Netflix, or do we just want it because the big boys already have it?
    I have a suspicion that sprint will keep existing data plans intact as a selling point and differentiator.

'after all, we're the only ones with unlimited data'

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Pre - Resting in peace | Touchpad - Stock and still running like new
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Netflix with 20 million subscribers, I think I last read somewhere, I think HP would want to make this accessible to those growing user base. Wouldn't you as a bussiness? People on here comment what they want as an app, and or always saying without apps HP will fail... well, here's a majority of users who want it and it's a program that will help HP move toward success.

And hopefully splashtop and others will join as api's and other development presents itself.
    Hopefully within several years, WebOS community will be 20+ million strong. Where will the failure be in that?
    Names sell, anyone with a halfway decent knowledge in business marketing knows this. The numbers involved are irrelevant. It would be a very wise decision to have a Netflix app from the start.
    its a big deal for me, I don't have cable and use OTA HD, in conjunction with Netflix and Amazon on a roku for my TV at home. I see the current gen of tablets as media consumption devices, since thats my main form of media consumption, i would need it to work there.
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I spoke with an HP rep (I know, I know) and they said to expect a Netflix app shortly after launch. Personally, I will NOT buy the TP w/out it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Source?

The numbers I have seen are quite different. Further - the reality is that these numbers are only impacting last mile not backbone.

See this: Netflix Is Not 30% Of Internet Traffic - Bruce Upbin - Tradigital - Forbes
    Did you even read that article or just read the headline? The title is wholesomely and purposely misleading.

The article is nothing but semantics and it frankly lowered my iq.
    Wither the data moved 1 mile, 1 inch or 1000 miles is irrelevant. If it has to come across an isp and data centers IT IS INTERNET TRAFFIC. Just because Netflix is smart enough to cache it's movies at data center around the country is just a good business move. That's like saying, I watched a youtube video (which preloads and caches locally on my pc) and stating that it's not internet traffic because it's been cached on my pc before I played it through.

*edit* I think my post might have come off as harsh, but I can't stand sensational journalism that then tries to muddy an issue just to make a point. Th article is written very poorly and ends up being a counter point to itself by the middle of it.... Just sloppy journalism and I thought Forbes was one of the few place that still actually executes journalism with integrity
    Last edited by ljbad4life; 06/22/2011 at 03:18 PM.
    I don't need anything.

Just this ashtray. And this paddle game,

the ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need.

And this remote control.

The ashtray, the paddle game and the remote control, and that's all I need.

And these matches.

The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control and the paddle ball.

And this lamp.

The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control and the lamp and that's all I need. And that's all I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one

I need this!

Oh yeah, and Netflix.

The ashtray, this paddle game and the remote control, the lamp and Netflix; and that's all I need.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To a much earlier post in the thread. 3g bandwidth caps are not important to enterprise customers that have negotiated unlimited data.

When I'm traveling, away from my family, I have no concerns about using the 3g device as it is a flat fee, unlimited data. If I'm near a wifi hot spot, that is not extra $, I'll use it over 3g.
    Last edited by Rockett0; 06/22/2011 at 05:23 PM.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast