Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 63
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I think that rings true to the normal expectation. I don't expect the number of people that watch digital content on their mobile devices to be higher than those that watch on a television. However, that still begs the question: is the number that do watch on iPad's, cellphones, etc. a substantial number?
    I think thats the question spare answered?
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    I think thats the question spare answered?
    That was in total hours. I think he wants to know about how many use netflix on mobile devices.

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  3. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #23  
    People aren't using netflix much on their ipad. When you don't use an app much, it's not an important app.
  4. mike5's Avatar
    Posts
    762 Posts
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    #24  
    I don't even understand the premise. We should want as many quality apps as we can get, regardless of your desires or your budget. If we want market share, which will lead to growth of webOS devices, we need multiple great apps. If you don't use Netflix or if you are worried about bandwidth usage--don't use it or don't download it if it doesn't come preloaded. BUT, don't take it away from others because you don't want it.
  5. #25  
    I know the OP is about netflix but i'll go even broader. To me netflix is right now is basic stuff. I'd be stunned if HP doesn't have a netflix app. It's like launching without a facebook app. You must have one in this day.

    but i'll go broader in my point. HP needs want options. In apps, in form factors, in everything. And i think that is something the greater WebOS community misses. When a consumer enters a store its irrelevant that they may barely use netflix, twitter, facebook, or whatever. What they want is the option to do whatever they want. That's why "there's an app for that" is a sound marketing campaign. When someone walks into a store and says "can i do this?" "Can I do that?" "Can I twitter, blog, learn piano, get gps, manage patient ekg's, moniter supply levels in my werehouse in real time etc," "there's an app for that" is really saying "Yes you can." Whatever you want to do we can do that. Now obviously there are limitations to that hence the jailbrake community/flash etc, but the point is, They've provided a platform that in general always says "yes you can do that with our product." While every other platform often answers the same question with "not yet" or "we hope in the future developers... blah blah blah." At this point every other platform is playing catchup. But i think to say you don't need netflix or broader as many options that apps provide to attract customers as possible is utterly naive to the nature of the smart phone market. 7% of people may use netflix but i'd bet 80%+ would like the option to use it. It's like the Matrix. It's about choice. You want as many things go bring in customers as possible. There may be millions of nerds who hate sports and don't need an espn app but ESPN has like 9 channels for reason. You may hate twitter an love facebook. You may hate the NBA but love the NFL. I know people want to defend webos but they need apps because apps give people stuff to do, outside of the basics. I think a better approach is to say, "yes we need all of that and hey hp make it happen soon." Because most people aren't like precentral readers. they won't cut hp slack, they won't wait for stuff, and they don't have a deep seeded hate for apple. So Hp needs to grab them. And giving them choice is the way. Providing them with a chance to do every single thing they want to do is the way. No shouldn't be in their vocabulary.
  6.    #26  
    Awesome guys, these are the kind of answers I was looking for.
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    That's the big boy's have it argument. I agree that we need a lot of big names, to generate hype if not actual usefulness. With other names is Netflix absolutely necessary?
    There are only several holy grail on a tablet.

    browser
    email
    office
    video chat
    netflix

    lacking any one of these will be significant.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    There are only several holy grail on a tablet.

    browser
    email
    office
    video chat
    netflix

    lacking any one of these will be significant.
    You forgot Calender and Messaging *cough* RIM *cough*
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
  9. #29  
    I think that RIM for Netflix on the Playbook, but I don't know if that's affecting their sales. Many options are needed for the TouchPad to be successful.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    For real. I was just reading this morning (I think at Engadget) that Telephone and Internet TV is eating into cable TV marketshare. I'm cutting the DirectTV cord myself at the end of this month because me and my wife are tired of paying $70-100 to watch 6-7 shows (Game of Thrones is the best thing on right now, but oh well).

    This is probably gonna be the biggest growth segment in media consumption, and HP needs to be up with "the big boys" if they are really going to play with consumers. It means a lot toward me getting a TouchPad...I can tell you that.
    Yeah, I canceled my cable service little more than a year ago, and I am very happy. I am sick of the price they are charging and I am watching like 6 shows, just like you. I have netflix and streaming to my TV using my xbox, I love it. I will never go back to overprice cable again. Only problem is that I can't really watch alot of live sports games.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    If you have a Netflix account and you see that others can watch movies on their tablet but you can't on yours then you will be ****ed.
    Seriously. I mean, from the original question....do you *need* a Netflix app? Well, do you *need* a $500 tablet? I'd wager no. But if you're going to plunk down $500 for a tablet, it should be able to do Netflix. The whole idea of a tablet is steeped in luxury and this includes the luxury of sitting in your bed watching an episode on Netflix or sitting at the airport watching an episode on Netflix whenever you feel like it, even if you rarely feel like it. If you're going to sit here and argue you don't need Netflix on a tablet, you might as well argue you don't need a tablet in the first place.

    Hell, I watch Netflix more on my PS3 than my PC because my PS3 is hooked up to a 48'' HDTV and the upscaling technology on it makes Netflix look great even without a top notch internet connection. Does that mean I don't need Netflix on my PC for when I'm not in the room with my PS3? No.
    screwdestiny
    PSNTwitterLast.FM
  12. #32  
    Don't have Netflix, and I don't see myself getting it any time soon. I enjoy watching current shows, and I like to own my movies (digital or otherwise).

    However, it raises an interesting idea... What about the Amazon Prime Instant Video? Have we forgotten about it? Is the selection as big as Netflix? What are the differences?

    But I do agree with the original idea of, will you be using it on 3g... I have found myself in compromising situations where I don't always have a wifi signal. It would be neat if there was a service to 'rent' the shows/movies and they download to the device but are wiped after 3-4 days. Maybe this is already available, I don't know anything about the pay streaming media options out there, as I enjoy everything live.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    Netflix being such a large bandwidth hog, I already have to worry about this at home since my ISP started metering.

    Heavy Netflix, XBox live gaming and Orb streaming requires us to use our ISPs highest plan so we don't get charged overages....

    ...Do we really need Netflix, or do we just want it because the big boys already have it?
    You pretty much answered your own question didn’t you? Or at least, you have all the information necessary to make the decision.

    You know what Netflix offers, do you want that functionality on your tablet for when you are not at home?

    Personally, I do.

    I currently take a laptop on business trips and have been known to tether to my Pre+ when stuck in a hotel without internet. I can get about 4 or 5 movies streamed with the 5GB of free tethering I get a month. That can be a life saver on a 3 day trip. In most hotels though (even mom & pop motels out in the sticks) they are offering free wifi.

    The other time I use it is when visiting the parents or the inlaws. Both have broadband, but don’t have Netflix. When everyone goes to sleep at 9pm and the guest bedroom doesn’t have a TV… you get the idea.

    -Suntan
  14. #34  
    I wish the TP was going to have an HDMI out port, this would make netflix even more useful for those without another device to connect to a tv that can run netflix
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by axoneill View Post
    What?? If you had to guess, what percentage of iPad or any tablet's users completely replaced their home computers?

    Not to beat a dead horse but if your argument had any merit the iPad would have been in "big trouble" from the start since one cannot access a good percentage of the internet without flash.
    A low percentage but I for 1 will be replacing my wifes laptop with a Tablet. A device like this is perfect for someone who can't lift heavy objects due to illness. 5 lbs might seem to be a little amount but My wife (who suffers from MS) is unable to lift 5lbs without becoming tired.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
  16. #36  
    The TouchPad and iPad are competing against my netbook more than they are against each other. So yes, Netflix is one of many apps I'd have to have before I would get a touchpad. If it can't replace my 3 pound netbook and 9 hour battery, I don't need an extra thing to carry. When I can be away for 24 hours without my netbook, I'm ready to buy.

    SO in addition to Netflix, I need to be able to updload attachments to websites such as this...
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    yes, netflix is a must for north america at least... 23 % of all interent traffic in NA is netflix.... dont worry though, i have it on good word one will be available =D
    Source?

    The numbers I have seen are quite different. Further - the reality is that these numbers are only impacting last mile not backbone.

    See this: Netflix Is Not 30% Of Internet Traffic - Bruce Upbin - Tradigital - Forbes
  18. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #38  
    1) I would use Netflix a lot. If you have kids you understand. Also, it's how I can justify getting a tablet to the wife (so we can watch Phillies while kids watch a cartoon once in a while. Yes, we are awful awful people that way.)
    2) More than anything, having Netflix signals to consumers and developers that HP is fully behind the platform (since they would have obviously paid off Netflix to get the app), and that it has some legs. It's a giant, dumb, red checkbox in the mobile platform war. Everyone but RIM has it now, at least on some devices, so not having it looks bad.

    I'd actually be cool with just getting PlayOn, it seemed to work ok as a temporary solution for lots of Android owners.
  19. #39  
    Check out Splashtop as an aternative to play on. One time purchase for much less and you can do a lot more with it.

    Supposedly they support WebOS 2.1 too

    -Suntan

    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    1) I would use Netflix a lot. If you have kids you understand. Also, it's how I can justify getting a tablet to the wife (so we can watch Phillies while kids watch a cartoon once in a while. Yes, we are awful awful people that way.)
    2) More than anything, having Netflix signals to consumers and developers that HP is fully behind the platform (since they would have obviously paid off Netflix to get the app), and that it has some legs. It's a giant, dumb, red checkbox in the mobile platform war. Everyone but RIM has it now, at least on some devices, so not having it looks bad.

    I'd actually be cool with just getting PlayOn, it seemed to work ok as a temporary solution for lots of Android owners.
  20. axthereo's Avatar
    Posts
    54 Posts
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    #40  
    Be great to be able to use hbogo, maxgo, and the other type of video streaming services on the TP.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions