Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Yeah, well it also says "No release date for Netflix App (under development), but it will run Flash Netflix."

Except Netflix doesn't run on Flash...
    Correction

Netflix doesn't run on Flash ... right now

Funny thing how applications tend to ... change ... from time to time.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    He is suggesting that the Flash version of Netflix will fill in until they've finished the webOS. So are you saying they will re-do Netflix Instant to use Flash for a few months just so the TouchPad can use it while they then work on a full webOS app? That makes no sense.
  3.    #163  
    interesting discussion you two are having about Netflix, for us non-Netflix users, can you explain please what would be the advantage of using Flash/Silverlight?

As an aside, Apotheker gets another chance to explain his licensing comments (or say something else that will buzz and confuse the blogosphere) today at the Sanford Bernstein conference which will be webcast live:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...y-3-pm-et.html
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, win8 is dumping silverlight..... they are saying HTML5 and java will be used for programing...
    so netflix maybe readying a new update. though why not HTMl5 i dont know cuz apple is not into flash...
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I'll let you wikipedia search what Flash and Silverlight, but here's my understanding:

Flash is from Adobe, Silverlight is from Microsoft.On the desktop they both just require a plug-in player, but not the same one. Flash is on the latest webOS, Android, and QNX versions. Silverlight is on Windows Phone.

Netflix used Flash until they moved to Silverlight in 2008. I don't believe HTML5 currently provides the level of DRM that Netflix needs.

Windows 8 isn't "dumping" Silverlight. Just like with Windows 7, Silverlight can run as a plug-in in any web browser. It just won't be added as a native app development environment like it is for Windows Phone. So, basically Windows 8 is just like Windows 7 but adds a web-tech development kit (like Mojo/Enyo, Android SDK, Blackberry WebWorks). They don't need Silverlight or a PDK/NDK because windows already runs full windows applications (of course)
    All,

Netflix is moving towards HTML for streaming. Their first HTML 5 app was for the PS3. I believe after that announcement HP held a dev day in NYC which featured the first public look Enyo. Precentral live blogged the event & it was mentioned that HP showed an HTML 5 version of Netflix. That was an importatnt mention bc prior to the PS3 app, Netflix was using Silverlight. You can infer that HP & Netflix most likely have been working on an app for webOS for several months.

Also, you can visit the Netflix Tech Blog and they have an article articulating why they went the HTML 5 route. The article is dated Dec 3 2010; Google it. If you Google Netflix HTML 5 you'll find articles from various sources detailing why Netflix made the move.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    He is suggesting that the Flash version of Netflix will fill in until they've finished the webOS. So are you saying they will re-do Netflix Instant to use Flash for a few months just so the TouchPad can use it while they then work on a full webOS app? That makes no sense.
    Nope, not saying that. What I am saying is that it could happen. As far as "making sense" - how did it "make sense" to originally write Netflix using Sliverlight? Flash is more widely adopted.

I would think that what "makes sense" to Netflix is to make their service available on as many devices as they possibly can.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    interesting discussion you two are having about Netflix, for us non-Netflix users, can you explain please what would be the advantage of using Flash/Silverlight?

As an aside, Apotheker gets another chance to explain his licensing comments (or say something else that will buzz and confuse the blogosphere) today at the Sanford Bernstein conference which will be webcast live:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...y-3-pm-et.html
    Flash and Silverlight both give content providers a higher level to write the applications to.

If your device will run Flash, for the most part all the provider as to do is write content that works on Flash, they don't have to write it for your particular device.
  9.    #169  
    Akitayo found this Wireless Week article about Rubenstein at Upling, I've quote an intriguing excerpt below (Akitayo original post at the bottom of this post).

"Rubinstein said HP had conducted "extensive outreach" to the developer community to build apps for webOS in an effort to make the platform more competitive, and emphasized that webOS was an easy platform to develop for, since it uses some of the same tools as Web developers.

However, he eschewed the idea that the platform could not compete without a base of apps on the scale of iOS or Android. "Apps are absolutely critically important, but in the longer term, it's content that's important," Rubinstein said, citing the volume of books available through Amazon's Kindle app..."

http://www.wirelessweek.com/News/201...OS-HP-Software

What I think is intriguing is that Rubenstein is saying in effect that content is king even though apps are "important." So is Ruby lining up the major studios and publishers? Its interesting that Andreesen said at D9 that both apps and webpages will drive the market for some time to come, similar to using downloaded software vs software on the web (Andreesen is on HP board I think). I can't dismiss the "content is king" idea given the number of people saying Netflix app is a deal breaker and the way Apple has been able to drive adoption originally via its ability to offer a wide variety of music in an accessible format.

Clearly HP needs a differentiator to get adopters so devs will come and if they have ties to major content companies and can get them on board, go to it HP. It hints at the fact that the tablet is taking some of the functions of the computer and the tv, the tv being clearly the place where content is king while the computer
    has historically been about function (apps) and has increasingly been also about content as the age of the internet matures.

Source for Andreesen idea and Akityao original post:
    http://allthingsd.com/20110601/apps-...arc-andreesen/

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...ml#post2980406
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/03/2011 at 05:38 AM.
  10.    #170  
    Here's another Apotheker quote at the Sanford Bernstein conference from zdnet article.(Article is slightly garbled, zdnet may need to invest in more proofreaders). Are he and Ruby talking about the same thing and if so, how?

Sounds like they are trying really hard to make a friendly place for developers as well as attract enough of the "right kind of mix" to get good consumer adoption. Sounds to me like they need a "killer app" or "killer content" to make this work.

"Hewlett-Packard CEO Leo Apotheker said the company’s plan for the WebOS is on “getting the right applications on our devices” and then showcasing them in a “magazine type of an approach.”

Apotheker, speaking at a Bernstein investor conference, was responding to a question about a 30,000 app target by the end of the year for WebOS. Of that sum, 20,000 would be tablet oriented. Apotheker said HP wasn’t focused on raw numbers, but having the right mix of apps for both the consumer and enterprise audiences.

Specifically, Apotheker said:

We are focused on getting the right applications on our devices. When you look at how people use these devices, in general people use 10, 12, 15 devices and not more. Actually, we are trying to create an environment where developers to get the kind of exposure on our catalogs the way they would like it to be. So, A, we are trying to get the right applications. B, we are trying to get the right portfolio of diversity of applications. And, three, we are creating a whole new approach based on the magazine type of an approach so that people can kind of reason, find out what we have. It’s going to be a magazine called Posit, which will be available online."

HP's Apotheker: WebOS focused on the right apps, showcasing developers | ZDNet
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/03/2011 at 07:07 AM.
    The WebOS is part of HP’s overall “webware” strategy that will cut across both PCs and printers. Apotheker indicated that the company could be a disruptor in the market on the consumer and enterprise fronts.

Webware is ready for prime time. It’s now out on a small phone, the Veer. And it will be out on the format of the tablet by the end of June/early July. And it will go into distribution then. We are all about Webware. We are more than about this with the other form factor. And I am happy to reconfirm that Webware will be available on PCs, on top of Windows, which creates a whole new market dynamic for Webware.
    this is what I found most interesting about that article. He talks about phones, tablets, PCs, printers and the other form factor. They've been cryptically hinting at new form factors for a while now. I really want to see what they have up their sleeve.
  12.    #172  
    Hmmn, not sure if Leo meant pcs by the "other form factor" or not. You can listen to the original talk here. I don't have time now for the whole talk but can try later.

edit: had a chance to listen, paraphrase below:
    In a discussion about "innovation" opportunities for pc consumer:

webos out on tablet by end of June/early July and will go into distribution then.

Right now focused on webOS being successful. It is about webos much more than device a or device b, you can always decide whether this device or the other will be available.
    (this was in part, an answer, to a question about webOS being exclusive to one type of phone or available to others)

webOS on top of windows in pcs will happen in 2012
    webos will also be on printers, giving us a platform for 100-110 million devices a year

going after prosumer and enterprise as well as consumer so wants "right" apps for prosumer, number of total apps not so important.

he did say 10-15 devices in the zdnet quote (but I think he meant apps)

HP Investor Relations - Event Details
    Last edited by bluenote; 06/03/2011 at 08:15 AM.
  13.    #173  
    cool blog entry from Josh Marinacci a week after his child was born (nice pic of the child) Congrats Josh, if you are reading this and welcome little M to the world..

But for the purposes of this thread, one paragraph from the blog entry caught my eye:

For obvious reasons my interest has focused on ebooks and games, especially apps targeted at young children. I’ve been involved in the development of the TouchPad for close to a year, and I know the potential of tablet technology to revolutionize how we teach, train, and entertain children. We have so many great apps prepping for launch, I really couldn’t be happier. I think you’ll be happy too.

Week One | Josh On Design
  14.    #174  
    LA Times has reported that Apple has successfully negotiated with both music labels and pubishers

Major labels, music publishers lining up behind Apple's iCloud
    Post a Comment ()
    (242)
    June 2, 2011 | 12:48 pm

Apple Inc. has just sewn up its contracts with the four major record labels Thursday for a cloud music service, with agreements from music publishers to follow on Friday, according to sources familiar with the negotiations.

Dubbed iCloud, the service initially will be offered for a free period to people who buy music from Apple's iTunes digital download store, allowing users to upload their music to Apple's computers where they can then play from a Web browser or Internet-connected Apple device.

The company plans to eventually charge a subscription fee, about $25 a year, for the service. Apple would also sell advertising around its iCloud service...
    Major labels, music publishers lining up behind Apple's iCloud - latimes.com
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    No Leo meant like TV's mp3's and other electornics. Both he and john are talking about partners that believe in the webos "ecosystem". To me the biggest ones that come to mind are LG, and Samsung.....
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    this is what I found most interesting about that article. He talks about phones, tablets, PCs, printers and the other form factor.
    Best Avatar Award!!!!
  17.    #177  
    Nice review from someone who posted on the comment section of Precentral front page

By passthebeat on Wed, 08 Jun 2011 8:38 pm EDT
    new
    +5

zineesh, your comment about a buggy Facebook app on webOS 3.0 is complete rubbish. Seamless Facebook integration into photos has been working since December. You or whoever you heard from have no idea what you're talking about.

I've just come from watching a TouchPad run 11 separate sessions of Windows and enterprise applications simultaneously over Citrix, including 3 different versions of windows desktops running Windows Media Player videos in them, Excel, PowerPoint, Word and SAP business objects direct from an Amazon cloud server rendered in Flash. A Flash video was streaming smoothly in a separate browser all the while. It was a cacophonous chorus of video and enterprise-quality experience that you can never have on an iPad 2.

I've got 5 words for you.
    TouchPad is a different conversation.

http://www.precentral.net/synnex-peg...n-says-july-17
    TouchPad has been on the market for 8 days now and I thought it would be interesting to revisit this thread. Leaving aside the Kindle fiasco, do we feel like HP has lived up to their pledge to have "all essential apps available at launch?"
  19.    #179  
    I'd like to wait for the major patch promised this month before I answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    TouchPad has been on the market for 8 days now and I thought it would be interesting to revisit this thread. Leaving aside the Kindle fiasco, do we feel like HP has lived up to their pledge to have "all essential apps available at launch?"
    Nine days and counting. . .

Now, I'm not a developer but I think that one or two minor updates every day or two would be a lot more effective in maintaining confidence than waiting a month (or 3?) and then dropping a huge update that winds up being too little, too late.

For example, what if they dropped the Kindle App with 4 books but no internet connectivity, just to give us a look? Or an HP MovieStore app that opens a web page with titles that say coming soon?

IMHO incremental changes are going to do a lot more to instill confidence. I've had the thing since day one and there's only been 2 (?) days where there were updates. They should be coming every day - given the current state.

The HP Play beta is a good example of something done right in that it offers some limited functionality (well, really needed functionality, given how troublesome the indexer can be without it) and some assurance that more is on the way - but it should be in Pivot (which, BTW, should be bumped to once a week for the forseeable future).
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast