Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualkyr View Post
    I need to see:

- something similar to MS Word
    - something similar to MS Excel
    - something similar to some Adobe products like Photoshop and Illustrator
    - something similar to iMovie or garageband for the iPAD

before I even consider getting a TP.

Are these kinds of productivity (useful) apps going to be available?

That's the real question.
    I can't comment on the Adobe products or something similar to iMovie or Garage because I have no idea what HP has up their sleeves in regard to that.

A quick Google search reveals that various articles have been posted concerning document editing webOS. Specifically, Quick Office has said they'll bring MS Office editing and viewing to webOS. Apparently, they're working on getting it up and running.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    i really don't see why people are upset about this comment. HP is trying to attract as many developers and apps as they can, but obviously the touchpad isn't going to launch with an AppStore or Market sized catalog. So HP put their focus on securing the most recognized and used apps on other platforms.

If you've got a problem with that, what approach would you have taken? What comment would you have made in place of this one?
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/30/2011 at 07:51 PM.
  3.    #143  
    I'm waiting to see what Apotheker announces at AllthingsD most likely tomorrow (but could be today or Thurs). Its possible he could get some momentum from this high profile conference and then take that into the July 6th HP Discover.

Its also possible review units have been given out this past weekend or next week to major press ( I would not be surprised if Precentral got one along with the spec sheet they published on the front page)
    looks like Apple is announcing it's icloud service on June6. Once again, HPalm is being beaten at their own game it seems... Based on their acquisitions we are pretty confident that they are working on Cloud services.

it would just be nice -to be first- at something once. Lol
  5.    #145  
    Based on their acquisitions we are pretty confident that they are working on Cloud services.l
    Who is the "we" in "we are pretty confident"?

HP has already begun with its cloud services

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...d-content.html
    what I'm saying is, we know they are doing it, yet once again are too slow getting things out the door.

cloud services are going to be a crucial aspect of tablet computing. I just hope that whatever HP brings to the table is superior to Apple.

hopefully we'll know a lot more about TP apps and services next week.
  7.    #147  
    yet once again are too slow getting things out the door.
    Seems a tad harsh and I'm not sure if its even true or how you could know at this early date.
    Amazon has beaten both Apple and HP, I looked at their consumer offering and am still hoping for something that has better capabilities:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-palm...ml#post2975041
    If touchpad can make apps that don't crash every time you try to do something... Then it will have an advantage over iPad.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
  9.    #149  
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    I don't think it's harsh at all, man. All HP did was acquire a company and integrate their services into WebOS in some fashion.
    Apple negotiated protracted deals with each major label and got them to sign off, which is something no one else - Google, HP, whoever - could do.
    If that's true, then you are right. We don't have full details yet. Unless you are privvy to inside details that you would like to share with us, then we will have to wait for the announcements from both HP and Apple to see how far they each have come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Hey Herb, Apple is losing market share only because the market is growing so fast. Apple's sales are accelerating, but by definition share goes down with the introduction of competition. The key is whether the competition can grow faster than the market. So far they haven't. It's only that each competitor takes another bit, but no one competitor has taken enough to outpace market growth. So it's death by 1,000 paper cuts.

It's great to see your post. I haven't seen you in a while!!!
    Yep, I understand the reason they're loosing market share, but the fact remains, they are. If the trend continues (and I believe it will), then that means that the companies that have the "ego apps" (which is basically what we're discussing) will still have to develop (and maintain) those apps for multiple platforms. They will eventually reach a point of diminishing returns, and the return to the "universal app" (the browser) will become more appealing.

Sorry for the absense, I got pretty busy with a combination of a big work project (that's still going on) and a motorcycle rally my wife and I were in charge of (that's finished).
  11.    #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    It's not inside info. Several tech sites have confirmed that Apple has made content deals with the labels. No one else has. Not Amazon. Not Google. Nobody. That means a lot because you don't just deal with the labels, but also the publishers. Apple is way ahead of everybody on that front because they have the leverage of iTunes. I occasionally work with a large publishing company, and can tell you they are regarded differently than any of these other platforms when it comes to musicians, publishers, and record companies getting paid.
    I hear you. The article I saw on allthingsD said Apple had not negotiated with the publishers yet, if you have more complete information that says otherwise, please post the link:

"...Apple has yet to nail down terms with the big music publishers, who own a separate set of rights. And Steve Jobs will need their sign-off, too.

While Apple came to terms with Warner Music and EMI Music weeks ago, and has now struck a deal with Sony Music, industry sources tell me the company doesn’t have agreements with the labels’ associated publishing companies–Warner/Chappell, EMI Music Publishing and Sony/ATV. The deal Apple is about to sign with Universal also won’t include publishing, I’m told.

http://allthingsd.com/20110520/apples-cloud-music-hangup/..."
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmp10 View Post
    I am just trying to put things into perspective and put forward the reality that because the iPad is so established, any competitor/'s wanting to take a considerable chunk out of its marketshare, it will really have to be something great in many many ways, app selection, aesthetic design, ease of use, battery life, performance, everything the iPad is known to be good at, the competitor has to be at the very least 2 levels better to even be noticed by potential tablet buyers much less seriously considered against the iPad.
    We sort of veered away from the point I was making. My point wasn't an "HP is going to kill Apple" statement, it was that the notion of building a custom app by a company for one tablet that "covers the market" will go away as that market fragments. That doesn't have to happen by one vendor, it could still happen as multiple vendors push down that market share.

Let's pretend that one company holds 30% of the market, and 15 others share the other 70%. That still indicates one powerhouse; however, if a company is looking at building a business app, it wouldn't make sense to restrict it to 30% of the market, if they could put in on the web (which is what we were discussing), and that 30% and the other 70%.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    ... If your goal is to make things easier then the easiest thing to do would be to make a generic app with a smartphone UI and hope it's good enough for tablet users. Perhaps you can get away with it for a while but not for long.
    Personally, I don't think a generic smartphone app would be the route to go, since it doesn't work quite as well as a generic tablet app. The more real-estate one has, the easier it is to make a working app. Possibly a "smartphone" generic, and then one that is geared more toward tablets.

I still maintain that the original statement that "Apps on mobile devices are the new URLs of the 2000s." I think you'll see a smattering here and there, especially while one (or two) devices dominate the market. But, as the market splinters the fad will die down.
    I'm really not trying to be anti android, but after using it on several devices, watching it's development and talking to others and researching it, I have come to the conclusion that it's really just an os people go to for price, anti apple tendencies, and availability. Every carrier has several in several different varieties. In an essence, it's basically trying to get feature phone users whom could care less about the os, but are more concerned with looks and price. Webos and iOS have limited devices on limited carriers and windows phone is still not as known. People who buy iPhones generally want quality and perceive that phone as high quality and expect to pay for apps. Is iOS the best os? I don't really think so, but it has made sure to give users a smooth experience from it's start to now. When iOS came out and I got my first iPod touch, it ran much smoother then all the android phones in the house now. With webos, it may not be popular, but owners are fairly dedicated (those left) and will pay. Windows phone may actually take over both rim and android due to it's aim for availability, multiple device forms, and a consistent os experience like apple has provided but across all those devices. So far I have no complains about any aspect of windows phone 7 and after mango it will be amazing. Webos can be a great competitive with all also. Android will not die, not in the slightest, but it's going to appeal to those who look for a budget smartphone capable of some things other odes can do and thus won't want to pay for apps. Sorry for the ramble, been a while since I posted a long post on here, figured it was time ESP since I've seen a wave of people swap from android to iOS since the Verizon iPhone came out.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    snip...I still maintain that the original statement that "Apps on mobile devices are the new URLs of the 2000s." I think you'll see a smattering here and there, especially while one (or two) devices dominate the market. But, as the market splinters the fad will die down.
    LOL Never thought my little statement would still be getting traction...

Analyst: Apple Could Kill Off Google And Facebook With App Internet

Original Article:
    Forrester calls Google's Chromebook 'corporate idiocy'

Don't worry, your statement can still come true, but this has to go away first:

Android Still Trails iOS as a Money Maker for Devs
    If You Want To Make Money, Develop For Apple Platforms
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05/31/2011 at 06:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Don't worry, your statement can still come true, but this has to go away first:
    Nope, I'm not saying anything about where one makes apps. Apps that are sold for money, and apps that are given away free as an alternative to a web based presence for a company are two entirely different categories.

The former has nothing to do with the notion that mobile apps will be the URLs of the 2000s.
    From the looks of it, webos has until windows 8 comes out to make a strong name because windows 8 looks to to combine tablets, desktops, and laptops into one unified system. With compatility with older software as well. To me that's a big hit, even for apple if they do it right. Because people will want the pc that does it all. Of course we need to see way more then 4 minutes and also need some beta access it Microsoft really seems to be turning around.
  18.    #158  
    Akitayo has unearthed an article by Clayton Morris with sources saying that there is a Netflix app under beta. I looked at Clayton's predictions last Dec on the TouchPad which his sources said would be debuted at CES, you can make your own conclusions about the validity of his sources:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ad-launch.html
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Akitayo has unearthed an article by Clayton Morris with sources saying that there is a Netflix app under beta. I looked at Clayton's predictions last Dec on the TouchPad which his sources said would be debuted at CES, you can make your own conclusions about the validity of his sources:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ad-launch.html
    Yeah, well it also says "No release date for Netflix App (under development), but it will run Flash Netflix."

Except Netflix doesn't run on Flash...
  20.    #160  
    And just when I was getting weary of all the rumors and poor video clips flying around, Akitayo has unearthed the demo TouchPad video that Ruby used today, its the best video I've seen in awhile. Looked up KungFuPanda and its a Dreamworks title (Katzenberg appeared by video at the Feb 9th event):

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ideo-clip.html
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast