Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 194
Like Tree1Likes
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Barkerja, curious as to why you would get the TouchPad if it only has half the apps you use.

    My guess is we would get an HBO app as TimeWarner is a partner. We might get a movie store with a good selection of titles as HP seems to have some good ties to Katzenberg as well and I would not be surprised if it had relationships with other studios.

    I would be surprised (and delighted) if we get a Netflix app right off the bat, Netflix may wish to see adopters first.
    Actually, as surprising as this may be, Time Warner subscribers are one of the few cable subscribers that are unable to access HBO Go (for some reason, they aren't integrated yet). Funny, considering Time Warner owns HBO.
  2. #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Actually, as surprising as this may be, Time Warner subscribers are one of the few cable subscribers that are unable to access HBO Go (for some reason, they aren't integrated yet). Funny, considering Time Warner owns HBO.
    i bet it's an infastructure problem. Time Warner Cable also has problems with viewing espn 360 on an xbox. That's the same as espn3.com. But there is an xbox app, Time Warner Cable is a licensed participant. But in many places if you have timewarner cable you can't watch anything live through the app. And don't bother trying to get an answer as to when it's gonna get fixed from timewarner. Espn has said it's a time warner problem. Something to do with them being unable to identify just who is getting ESPN thus who can get it through xbox. The crazy thing is if you have time warner internet you can get it on your computer. just when you run the internet to the xbox, it doesn't work.
  3. Doz007's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    #83  
    Does WebOS have official ebay & Paypal apps yet?

    They're certainly essential for me.....
  4. #84  
    Just out of curiosity, what does the official paypal app do that the official paypal website doesn't? Same with ebay?

    it always seems to me like apps are necessary on apple because flash doesn't work, so every flash website needs an app to make the content work on Apple. An OS that does flash immediately needs fewer than half of the apps that are essential on iOS.
  5. #85  
    Neeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttffffffffffffflllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiixxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx!
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what does the official paypal app do that the official paypal website doesn't? Same with ebay?

    it always seems to me like apps are necessary on apple because flash doesn't work, so every flash website needs an app to make the content work on Apple. An OS that does flash immediately needs fewer than half of the apps that are essential on iOS.
    1: Some have add functionality, like banking. With one of the banking apps you can take a picture of your check deposit and make the deposit right from your living room. Works well.
    2: Apps are setup to work with touch screen better than websites. In general, this does not have to do so much with flash as usability.
    3: Representation. Having an app on iOS makes your product/service stand out.
    4: For those vendors that charge, added revenue.
    5: Speed. Some apps load faster than there website counterpart.

    Like the mad rush when the internet first got going, businesses rushed to get *.com sites. Apps on mobile devices are the new URLs of the 2000s.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 05/28/2011 at 05:18 AM.
  7. #87  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    it always seems to me like apps are necessary on apple because flash doesn't work, so every flash website needs an app to make the content work on Apple.
    That incorrectly assumes that apps are merely reproductions of website content. Many are not. Games are not such, Inventory apps are not such. Navigation apps are not such, Music production and recording apps are not such. Medical diagnostics are not such apps. Podcast apps are not like that. Radio apps are not like that. Apps like watch live ESPN are not merely website apps. Word processing/office suite apps are not. Music players, camera apps, ampache pre, photo editors, fitness trackers. Mobile payment apps, PDF readers, Kindle app, educational apps, Religious apps like the Bible, Koran or Talmud. I'm sure there are more.

    It also assumes that mobile websites are largely dependent on flash. Most websites i frequent don't need flash or its not necessary. I don't miss flash on my pre. And I'd rather use an app then a website most of the time.

    It also ignores that a dedicated app can be much more convenient. Though i barely use twitter, i have an account and it's nice to never ever have enter my account info. We can try and minimize the importance of apps all we want but the fact remains, most consumers like apps and most consumers want the option to have any app their mind desires, even if they are never going to use them. And i think they are essential and vital part of any successful platform in this day and age.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 05/28/2011 at 01:45 PM.
  8. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    1: Some have add functionality, like banking. With one of the banking apps you can take a picture of your check deposit and make the deposit right from your living room. Works well.
    2: Apps are setup to work with touch screen better than websites. In general, this does not have to do so much with flash as usability.
    3: Representation. Having an app on iOS makes your product/service stand out.
    4: For those vendors that charge, added revenue.
    5: Speed. Some apps load faster than there website counterpart.

    Like the mad rush when the internet first got going, businesses rushed to get *.com sites. Apps on mobile devices are the new URLs of the 2000s.
    1. Banks actually accept a picture of a cheque as money? I can see possibilities here!
    2. Apps are supposed to work better on a touch screen device. And are primarily created for those devices without flash functionality.
    3. Why is that?
    4. So it's a good thing for consumers to have to pay for apps that make viewing websites with flash content easier because their touch device can't? Kinds of contradicts point 3 also, doesn't it?
    5. That's a good thing indeed, since they not loading flash content. But some functionalities get restricted, right?
    NNJ
  9. Doz007's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what does the official paypal app do that the official paypal website doesn't? Same with ebay?

    it always seems to me like apps are necessary on apple because flash doesn't work, so every flash website needs an app to make the content work on Apple. An OS that does flash immediately needs fewer than half of the apps that are essential on iOS.
    I'll take that as a no then?

    As everybody else has said, dedicated apps can offer much more funtionality than the standard web page. Websites are designed to be viewed on big screens, with the cursor as the main source of navigation. Apps take advantage of the screen size & touch based UI.

    The eBay app for iPad is the Mrs' prefered away to browse and shop on eBay for example. Quick to access, great to look at & easy to navigate.
  10.    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    If the TouchPad had (or has) 1/2 of those apps listed (some take priority over others) I would most likely get a TouchPad
    Barkerja, why would you get the TouchPad if it had only half the apps you use on the Ipad? Are there particular apps you need and which ones are those, if so?

    I see you hanging out in this forum and talking with us but if you are utilizing your already purchased device to that extent and you seem to making such great use of it, I am curious about your desire to get another tablet.
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    ...
    Like the mad rush when the internet first got going, businesses rushed to get *.com sites. Apps on mobile devices are the new URLs of the 2000s.
    Sorry, I disagree, though some businesses may think so. Unlike a mobile app, a website did not have to be rewritten for mutiple operating systems. Though a few were written to take advantage of different features of different browsers, those were fairly simple changes, and the number of browsers were small.

    As market share for IOS gets smaller (as it is) there are going to be fewer and fewer businesses that decide that branded apps are that beneficial, especially if they can make a functional website that is universal.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
    I'll take that as a no then?

    As everybody else has said, dedicated apps can offer much more funtionality than the standard web page. Websites are designed to be viewed on big screens, with the cursor as the main source of navigation. Apps take advantage of the screen size & touch based UI.

    The eBay app for iPad is the Mrs' prefered away to browse and shop on eBay for example. Quick to access, great to look at & easy to navigate.
    Not sure what a PayPal dedicated app would do, but there is at least one dedicated eBay app.

    As far as "official", you'd have to define that for us. Released by eBay or PayPal, I think the answer is no. Released to the Apps Catalog, the eBay app is.
  13. #93  
    Wow, HP, in my opinion, you are SO wrong about that.

    Mobile apps of existing websites are generally always more convenient, and geared to the size/space of the mobile space. Tailored to touch, not a cursor, and quickly making available the most used feature.

    Figuring out the new UI, and how to best use the smaller real estate, is a huge chunk of the challenge.

    Once you do that, sure you have to program to the OS, but you've already done the most important part.

    A bigger challenge for developers, in my opinion is if they can profit from their work. And that includes considering very strongly OSes that make it very easy to use apps that are pirated or can otherwise be tweaked.
  14. Doz007's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not sure what a PayPal dedicated app would do, but there is at least one dedicated eBay app.

    As far as "official", you'd have to define that for us. Released by eBay or PayPal, I think the answer is no. Released to the Apps Catalog, the eBay app is.
    The Paypal app offers a much more touch friendly ui, enabling me to do the same tasks much quicker than using the website. This is important to me.

    Yeah, when I had my Pre & Pre Plus I seem to remember some 3rd party eBay app was available. Can't for the life of me remember the name though.

    I'm very hesitant to enter my login details anywhere but the official place. Would you be willing to enter your PayPal username and password into anywhere that wasn't supported by PayPal themselves?

    I'm a firm believer that on a tablet, websites don't always cut it but maybe that's just me......
    Last edited by Doz007; 05/28/2011 at 01:09 PM.
  15. #95  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post

    I'm a firm believer that on a tablet, websites don't always cut it but maybe that's just me......
    Not just you!
  16. nyallj's Avatar
    Posts
    408 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
    I'm a firm believer that on a tablet, websites don't always cut it but maybe that's just me......
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Not just you!
    Perhaps that's because of the function (or lack of) of the tablet you have been using?
    NNJ
  17. #97  
    Quote Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
    I'm a firm believer that on a tablet, websites don't always cut it but maybe that's just me......
    Zuckerburg seems to think that a tablet does.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Perhaps that's because of the function (or lack of) of the tablet you have been using?
    Agreed. Paypal and Ebay should work just fine on a tablet that runs Flash.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    Perhaps that's because of the function (or lack of) of the tablet you have been using?
    What flash website is there that functions as a navigation app the same as a tom tom app?
    Or a reads ebooks just as simply as an kindle app?
    What flash website plays Infinity Blades or Angry Birds?


    Because Palm doesn't have them you guys keep trying to argue they aren't needed. As if just saying it will make it true. That's just wishful thinking in my mind. Palm does need Apps.

    Apps are not just websites and they aren't remotely just flash.
  20. #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Not sure what a PayPal dedicated app would do, but there is at least one dedicated eBay app.
    Deposit by check for starters. The iOS (and now Android, I believe) app lets you take a picture of a check and deposit it immediately. Same with a lot of banks now too.

    As far as eBay goes, on iOS the native app will send a push notification to you when you've outbid or when auction(s) you are following are about to end. Also, it has a built-in barcode scanner to use when you're out shopping to scan items to see if you can find it for cheaper on eBay.
    Last edited by barkerja; 05/28/2011 at 03:04 PM.

Posting Permissions