Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Essential apps to me
    Netflix
    Amazon - Kindle/cloud music/video streaming (I am calling this one app)
    PDF reader that works 100% of the time
    My essential apps would be B&N Nook, Netflix and Google Voice. There currently isn't a tablet that has all these apps. Hopefully the TP will step up and fill that void.
    There is an rdp app. It's called splashtop and I'm using it right now.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Try opening a grocers next door to Walmart selling 1% of the items at a higher price. You might get some people in for the better service, but most people will go next door.
    if i tried opening another walmart right next store, i bet i'd fail MUCH harder. i'm MUCH better off opening a Gourmet Grocery Store...

webOS is differentiated enough to have its own appeal. We haven't stuck around for the apps; we stuck around for the seamless user interface, the home-brew community, and synergy. HP can leverage these differences into substantial market share, so long as they have those CORE apps, that tend to be prerequisites for mobile devices.

HP needs to show the world that despite the smaller number of apps, i can get as much done using my touchpad and have a better time doing it.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/18/2011 at 06:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Hummm... Well, where and when is the 3G version?

Because webOS without Internet fulltime is the same as be with a broken leg without crutches... :?

Best Regards...
    3g variants have been the thorn in the side of tablet makers. It appears that most users would rather not pay ANOTHER ridiculously priced data bill in addition to the one on their phone.

I think i speak for plenty when I say a wifi touchpad tethered to my Pre3 makes much more sense.

I also find HP data pass model to be pretty intriguing. Pay-as-you-go 3G data makes much more sense on a tablet once you consider the amount of time most users will be using them on wifi. For those times when your away from a hotspot, you can get online. But you're not forking out another $30 a month for data you rarely use.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 05/18/2011 at 06:27 PM.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    There is an rdp app. It's called splashtop and I'm using it right now.
    I'll grant, it is a way to get to your computer, but it requires a server component to be installed on all the machines you want to get to. I manage a quantity of MS servers, and I need an app that talks MS RDP.

-M
    You've Never gonna have "all essential apps" as that is very different from person to person. You need a very wide range because people do a wide variety of things.
    Quote Originally Posted by gyroslice View Post
    My essential apps would be B&N Nook, Netflix and Google Voice. There currently isn't a tablet that has all these apps. Hopefully the TP will step up and fill that void.
    That is a pretty good list for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by gyroslice View Post
    My iPad has all three of these apps. I mean, the GV app is the scaled-up iPhone version, but it's still an app.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    3g variants have been the thorn in the side of tablet makers. It appears that most users would rather not pay ANOTHER ridiculously priced data bill in addition to the one on their phone.

I think i speak for plenty when I say a wifi touchpad tethered to my Pre3 makes much more sense.

I also find HP data pass model to be pretty intriguing. Pay-as-you-go 3G data makes much more sense on a tablet once you consider the amount of time most users will be using them on wifi. For those times when your away from a hotspot, you can get online. But you're not forking out another $30 a month for data you rarely use.
    I think that's why the 3G variant of the iPad sells so well. It not being binded to a carrier subscription appeals to a lot more than having a subsidized tablet and having a 2-year contract for a data plan. Pay as you go = win.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i think what most people are neglecting to see is that HP will use sprint for their 3g coverege... so u can extrapolate that and say , sprint will have a tablet.. now for the pre 3 =)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    i think what most people are neglecting to see is that HP will use sprint for their 3g coverege... so u can extrapolate that and say , sprint will have a tablet.. now for the pre 3 =)
    There's been no indication of that. If you're referring to HP launching a data MVNO that piggyback's off Sprint's network, that means nothing about a Pre 3 or TouchPad being on Sprint's network specifically.
    Quote Originally Posted by lancepr View Post
    Essential apps to me
    Netflix
    Amazon - Kindle/cloud music/video streaming (I am calling this one app)
    PDF reader that works 100% of the time
    But it doesn't have Quicken so it wouldn't allow me to leave my laptop and just carry the iPad. I'm hoping the TouchPad will have Quicken.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    FB doesn't have a app for the Ipad bc FB's owner said last Nov or Dec that a tablet doesn't need a FB app bc you can fully utilize the FB site from apad versus a phone.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I read that and I don't think mr. Facebook realizes that you have no access to files on the browser, meaning no uploading pictures, and no uploading videos. Two major uses of facebook.

Unfortunately webos will also suffer this problem if it does not include this. It's not a limitation because I was shocked my windows phone could do it, it just means the browser needs to recognize to open pictures or videos. Or even other apps like docs. Internet uploading is a major overlook by tablets...

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I think that's why the 3G variant of the iPad sells so well. It not being binded to a carrier subscription appeals to a lot more than having a subsidized tablet and having a 2-year contract for a data plan. Pay as you go = win.
    I like this idea. I have a wifi iPad, but I'd like 3G sometimes. I'd also like a built in gps that doesn't use constant data. It'd be cool if the plan was tiered like if I use 200mb it's 10 if I exceed that it would jump to 1 gig for 20 and 2 for 30. Or maybe. Like 50mb a dollar so 10 would be 500, idk exact fair rates. But a non subscribed rate would be good. I'm watching touchpad though. Netflix is a major deciding factor.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I like this idea. I have a wifi iPad, but I'd like 3G sometimes. I'd also like a built in gps that doesn't use constant data. It'd be cool if the plan was tiered like if I use 200mb it's 10 if I exceed that it would jump to 1 gig for 20 and 2 for 30. Or maybe. Like 50mb a dollar so 10 would be 500, idk exact fair rates. But a non subscribed rate would be good. I'm watching touchpad though. Netflix is a major deciding factor.
    The plans are tiered, and as I mentioned above, it's not contractual; you pay for 30 days of access: Apple iPad 2 with Wi-Fi + 3G - AT&T iPad Plans - Wireless from AT&T
    Quote Originally Posted by bignoze View Post
    blah blah blah.........my ipad2 is faster, thinner, and has all the apps.

I love Webos but why bother.......
    Earlier on the first page of this thread, there was a mention of iPad apps, and the poster indicated that the Docs to Go Premium was a viewer. Is that true? I had thought that the iPad D2G was a full editing suite? Can you tell us?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Looks more like the Yelp icon to me.
    I see more white text than black but either way it means nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    true, but it would be even better if your access didn't expire.
    I need iFart for webOS. That's a deal-breaker, right there.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast