Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    you gotta look at it from a statistical point of view. if you cant please everyone at once, you're next best bet is to make sure that most people are mostly satisfied.

you're saying that if it isnt comparable to super walmarts inventory its a bust. HP is saying that if your're going to open a market, it BETTER have decent dairy, meat, and vegetable sections on day one. the niche items can come later.
    Such a great post that I've quoted it again.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I'll bet that any attempt to put together such a list would be met with an all-out assault from all sides with everyon'es additional essential apps lobbed over the moat like flaming balls of pitch. Isn't there a thread like that?

I understand that HP can't please everyone with their catalog of tablet apps. The problem is that Android and iOS can.
    Android can right now? I thought that they only had 60 Froyo (3.0) apps. The rest arnt tablet formated. If you want to play that then HP has 6k apps, which should have enough to please most. But those aren't tablet ready apps & as such they don't count, yet.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    you're saying that if it isnt comparable to super walmarts inventory its a bust. HP is saying that if your're going to open a market, it BETTER have decent dairy, meat, and vegetable sections on day one. the niche items can come later.
    Try opening a grocers next door to Walmart selling 1% of the items at a higher price. You might get some people in for the better service, but most people will go next door.
    you gotta look at it from a statistical point of view. if you cant please everyone at once, you're next best bet is to make sure that most people are mostly satisfied.

Yep great post. The approach for HP at this point in time is to be more like Trader Joes than Super Walmart. As you said, have decent selection focused on quality at this point in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    What they consider 'essential apps" and what we as users consider essential apps are most of the time 2 different things. If they are making a shot at the Playbook because of the lack of email they are making a big mistake
    Exactly what I thought when I read that phrase.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    Try opening a grocers next door to Walmart selling 1% of the items at a higher price. You might get some people in for the better service, but most people will go next door.
    You don't have to be Walmart. Trader Joes does ok. So does Aldi and none of them are higher than Walmart.

7.    #27  
    This argument was used against Android phones when the Droid came out a year and half ago.

Shows its a lot more complicated than just the apps, its the entire package. And also how its marketed.

We'll have to wait and see. The next few weeks should be a lot of fun.
    Hummm... Well, where and when is the 3G version?

Because webOS without Internet fulltime is the same as be with a broken leg without crutches... :?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Hummm... Well, where and when is the 3G version?

Because webOS without Internet fulltime is the same as be with a broken leg without crutches... :?

Best Regards...
    I had understood most iPad buyers get the wifi version. Am I wrong about that? If you have your Pre2, Veer or Pre3, you would have the mobile hotspot. For U.S. users, I'm assuming you would also have the option to buy Sprint on demand for the TouchPad, assuming you left your office or home without the phone.

But still a good question about the 3G version as some people will want to buy a dataplan both for the tablet and their phone.
  10.    #30  
    question:

what is the advantage of accessing Hulu and/or Netflix via an app vs the mobile web?
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    question:

what is the advantage of accessing Hulu and/or Netflix via an app vs the mobile web?
    Hulu blocks all mobile web access. Netflix uses Sliverlight on it's webpage so unless the device supports Silverlight.

Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    This argument was used against Android phones when the Droid came out a year and half ago.

Shows its a lot more complicated than just the apps, its the entire package. And also how its marketed.

We'll have to wait and see. The next few weeks should be a lot of fun.
    Android was well on the up before the Droid and had loads of apps back then. Think more of the t-mob G1. It was the spectrum of different handsets being released weekly that boosted it.

HP knows it's in the same position and needs to offer something different to compensate for the lack of apps until it gets more traction. They also need to stick with it and keep releasing devices and improving the OS until they succeed.
    Is this any guide to how HP defines "essential"?

Palm USA | Palm Pre Phone | Features, Details
  14.    #34  
    Android was well on the up before the Droid and had loads of apps back then. Think more of the t-mob G1. It was the spectrum of different handsets being released weekly that boosted it.

HP knows it's in the same position and needs to offer something different to compensate for the lack of apps until it gets more traction. They also need to stick with it and keep releasing devices and improving the OS until they succeed.
    I really need to get back to work. I should let someone else do this research but this one was so easy--took me less than 5 min to find this article from Fortune Mag below:

The Droid vs. the iPhone: Let's count the apps

By Philip Elmer-DeWitt October 29, 2009: 12:58 PM ET

Apple has 93,000 to Android's 11,300. But how many applications do you really need?
    Droid vs. iPhone

Photos: Motorola, Apple

In the flurry of quickie reviews that appeared overnight after Wednesday's unveiling of Motorola's (MOT) Droid -- Google (GOOG) and Verizon's (VZ) latest answer to Apple's (AAPL) iPhone -- little has been said about how the two platforms stack up in terms of apps.

At first glance, it seems an unfair comparison. Apple has spent a small fortune promoting those famous 85,000 iPhone applications -- a number than has since grown to roughly 93,000 and is on track to hit 100,000 in a matter of weeks.
    New Android apps by month

Source: AndroidLib.com

But it's not as if there are no apps for the Droid. As of Thursday morning there were 11,284, according AndroidLib.com's unofficial count of the offerings in Google's Android Market. Moreover, that number too is growing by the thousands. Android developers added 2,333 new apps in September and another 2,431 so far in October.

To be sure, the App Store is growing faster, and has been from the start. Android's Market has been open for business since Feb. 2009; when the App Store was eight months old, it was adding nearly 7,000 apps per month.

But how many apps does a smartphone really need? 10,000 may well be enough to serve Motorola and Verizon's needs, not to mention their users'.

Besides, it's early days yet -- way too early to know how the Android-iPhone face-off will shake out.

In many ways, it's a battle reminiscent of the PC operating system wars of the 1990s, with Google's Android playing the role of Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows. Like Microsoft, Google is offering an OS (albeit one that is license-free) that will run on multiple vendors' hardware. Apple, as usual, is being Apple, keeping tight control of both the operating system and the hardware it runs on. Only this time, it's Apple that was first to win the heart and minds of the developers.

But Google, the Droid and the other Android phones in the works could still catch up. At least one analyst -- Gartner's Ken Dulaney -- believes they will. He's on record predicting that the Android OS will overtake the iPhone in terms of global market share by 2012.

The Droid is scheduled to go on sale Friday, Nov. 6, for $199 after rebate, the same price as a 16 gig iPhone 3GS.

[Follow Philip Elmer-DeWitt on Twitter @philiped]

The Droid vs. the iPhone: Let's count the apps - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    FB doesn't have a app for the Ipad bc FB's owner said last Nov or Dec that a tablet doesn't need a FB app bc you can fully utilize the FB site from apad versus a phone.

But you can't, not fully. FB has a lot of scrolling lists encoded (think the box that pops up when you click on "friends" on someone's profile) and all you see is the first ten or so even though the list might be 30.

Maybe I'm doin' it wrong!

Anyhow, Friendly for Facebook is a nice app and does the trick in a tablet-specific-manner.
    - - - - -

I agree about Netflix, by the way. I didn't use it before getting an iPad but I agree it is one of my most used apps. Probably daily.
    I hope netflix makes it
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    But you can't, not fully. FB has a lot of scrolling lists encoded (think the box that pops up when you click on "friends" on someone's profile) and all you see is the first ten or so even though the list might be 30.

Maybe I'm doin' it wrong!
    While I agree with you that a tablet app for FB would be great, if you're presented with a list in a dialog box like that on the iPad, you can scroll within it using two-finger scrolling.

Something I didn't know for the longest time. Changed my life when I found out about it!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    I really am pushing for a RDP program as an essential app I would be able to leave laptop at home!! It would be so nice to be able to restart a server from my touchpad.
    ++ An RDP app is the one thing missing for me - I keep being frustrated that it isn't available and even go looking (again). It'd be a *huge* benefit to me. I will pay for it, even. 8)

-M
    Quote Originally Posted by ahitz View Post
    Netflix is huge. If TouchPad has it, I'll buy it. If not, I won't.

I can work around limited music options, we know Kindle is there, Google Docs online can do basic doc editing, Enyo email, calendar, messaging look good, social networking is decently covered, and there's always some other game to play. However, there is no real substitute for Netflix, especially with kids. I'm not going to regularly buy, rip, or steal movies and then re-encode them for the TouchPad, but it seems stupid to have this 10" tablet with no way to watch movies.

Did a screen shot of BB's Website. That red dot might be a Netflix icon! Now i am sure that I just photoshoped a photoshop so it means nothing, but for the desperate it means the world. Plus they were on the banner at the Feb 9th announcement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    blah blah blah.........my ipad2 is faster, thinner, and has all the apps.

I love Webos but why bother.......
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast