Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    TouchPad has been on the market for 8 days now and I thought it would be interesting to revisit this thread. Leaving aside the Kindle fiasco, do we feel like HP has lived up to their pledge to have "all essential apps available at launch?"
    I personally don't think so. However, this is in the eye of the beholder and I truly believe HP thinks they nailed it.

To be for the enterprise, some type of RDP should have been there I would think. Is there one?
    I don't have a TouchPad, but did they enable document editing in Quick Office yet?
    That is definitely an "essential app", or essential feature rather, and is certainly a deal breaker for many people.
    no they have not.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I don't have a TouchPad, but did they enable document editing in Quick Office yet?
    That is definitely an "essential app", or essential feature rather, and is certainly a deal breaker for many people.
    funny i checked this thread a few days ago to see if anyone was discussing this. I don't have a TP and i'm not going to buy one. But i would say no. I don't see the apps that i would consider essential for me. The ones i listed earlier in this thread of my personal desires nor the apps that many people listed.

But i've been disappointed with the general lack of webos apps, or specifically, that the apps released are not the apps i have much interest in.

In general i think HP's opinion off essential is different then mine and that's one issue. The other is i think they'd like to have all the apps but they can't persuade companies to make them. And homebrew can't fill the void. Like i saw an app request thread and it seems kinda clear that only certain apps can be made outside of the actual company. They keep getting requested and but never made.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
  5.    #185  
    Folks,
    Netflix is changing pricing scheme for all old members beginning Sept (new members immediate change)

Customers will only be able to get the streaming or the DVDs in the mail for the monthly streaming fee, if they want both services they will have to pay for Netflix twice.
    This makes sense to me as Netflex will have to pay the studios money to get more content on their streaming service.

I am sure as the mail dvd gets phased out and the streaming augments its content, the streaming prices will also rise in the future.

My condolences to the current netflix subscribers who were getting a pretty good deal up to now, the "free lunch" was nice while it lasted and I am sure it will be missed.

See netflix blog for details
    to me as HP and any understandable anaylist knows is that HP needed a device out in developers hands for developers to start to make apps, and that has just happened right? On top of that I think they did a very good job with coming with atleast 300 where android dosent even have that many optimized for the tablet (I have a tab 10.1 and no they do not have 300 period). Now that developers have the tablets, I expect more applications coming with or without those incentives from HP. People need to relax every new device (and yes this is HP first tablet let alone 2nd device since aquiring Palm) needs time to develop on the main stage, to me my impression of the TP and the available applications is not bad at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellwellwell11 View Post
    to me as HP and any understandable anaylist knows is that HP needed a device out in developers hands for developers to start to make apps, and that has just happened right? On top of that I think they did a very good job with coming with atleast 300 where android dosent even have that many optimized for the tablet (I have a tab 10.1 and no they do not have 300 period). Now that developers have the tablets, I expect more applications coming with or without those incentives from HP. People need to relax every new device (and yes this is HP first tablet let alone 2nd device since aquiring Palm) needs time to develop on the main stage, to me my impression of the TP and the available applications is not bad at all.
    It is very funny but 300 for some reason decreesed to 100 in new CEO intervew

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    It's been 18 days since HP shipped the TouchPad but today is its official launch date. Aside from Kindle, are things any better now? Does the App Catalog contain "all essential apps?"
  9.    #189  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    It's been 18 days since HP shipped the TouchPad but today is its official launch date. Aside from Kindle, are things any better now? Does the App Catalog contain "all essential apps?"
    Some key points are providing more hope than before:

Today's revelation by webOS-Internals that they can access Open Office for editing and a slew of other Ubuntu apps seems to be a game changer.
    There appear to be many many Ubuntu apps and work will need to be done to sort out which ones can be accessed on the TouchPad.

Edit: this Zediva.com service is interesting for new releases.
    The HP movie store and music store are supposedly coming tomorrow. We'll need to see them to evaluate.

Kindle and Amazon MP3 are coming later in the month. Could be interesting to see if this develops into a wider partnership, apparently Amazon just started selling HP products 3 years ago and that has gone nicely for both sides (see ThisIsMyNext interview with DeWitt/Rubinstein published July 15).

Glimpse is a killer app that shows the potential of webOS. Its uniqueness could bring forth attention and users.

The OTA is slated to come by month's end and fix some of the bugs that are causing people to stay away.

Given all these developments things are looking up nicely. I would say lets check in again at the end of the month and see where we are.
    Last edited by bluenote; 07/17/2011 at 01:18 PM.
    Not yet, so the anwser to the original question is "no".

Need to do:

A decent video player
    An office editing app
    A reliable media syncing solution
    A robust browser with some password remembering

Essential doesn't mean half baked, sorta works, solution.
    New/updated Touchpad apps:

Video Player - KalemSoft MediaPlayer
    Office Editing - still no update (lame) but there is google docs website as a hold-over
    Media Sync - reliable is a bit subjective (diff people require diff levels of security) but no DLNA or uPNP support as of yet as far as I know (again, lame)
    Browser - Advanced Browser, though I'm not sure if it allows password remembering (could still be a limitation of webOS 3.0 that needs to be updated)

There are also other interesting apps like Glimpse that provide for better multi-app multi-tasking.
    I am, therefore I think
  12.    #192  
    screenshots of LibreOffice working with doc and spreadsheet editing; also Chromium-browser are in this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3038833
    I think it's hilarious that most of the folks complaining about missing apps, don't have a TouchPad.

What's "essential" to one, isn't neccessarily universal.

But, it does give the anti's something to "complain" about.
    RoverNole likes this.
    Build it and the apps will come. Got to have a device first. Apps don't come before device. Three weeks not enough time for ground breaking apps.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910